Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Jill Humphreys. She was married to Dave at the time. They had the Badsey and Barnes and also the Iceboat Baltic.

I have a picture of Badsey in the mid 80's I think it was down on the southern GU (Uxbridge?) but the engine I think had just been replaced or was just going to be replaced because there was no engine room roof on?

badsey.jpg

Jill Humphreys. She was married to Dave at the time. They had the Badsey and Barnes and also the Iceboat Baltic.

Yep,

I thought that's what I recalled.

Jill and Dave had Badsey & Barnes at Cow Roast around the time my pictures were taken, and there were a few couples around at the time who used to chat, whilst working on boats of various "qualities".

Sometimes we would all retire to one of the more comfortable boats for a coffee or beer, and often that meant into Betty, which was better appointed than our old Joey (!), and certainly more spacious than Barnes, even with it's extension cabin, (Badsey was largely unrestored, then).

Betty was owned by Noel and Angela, but I don't know if I ever knew surnames. Noel worked for Bass Charrington, and seemed to have endless supplies of "freebies" acquired through that route - I suspect half his boat fitting originated in a pub! We all benefited to some degree - Bass supplied all the "plastic padding" to reconstruct our then rotten cabin!

It's quite possible your mum no longer remembers me - I was partnered by Pam who became my first wife just after those pictures were taken.

I have fond memories of those times, and was shocked when I heard of the tragic death of one of the others who was around. I did meet Dave a few years ago, (not at a canal related thing), and we both chatted for sometime before it dawned on us who we each were!

I don't know how good Jill's memory is of these times, but there are pictures that prove that Badsey, Barnes, Betty and Japonica all moved around together sometime after my photos, or even after I left the canals. All show Betty very well presented externally, even if the bottom half was decidedly dodgy. That's why I'm struggling at the moment to see the Gas Street baot as the same one.

See if your mum remembers me, but it's far more likely she will remember my brother's Mike & Pete, (Bilster & Angel).

If anybody ever spots my old boat from then (Kerbau), the shortened Joey in the pictures, I'd be most interested. If not "Bantock" then certainly "Bantock-like".

Yep,

I thought that's what I recalled.

Jill and Dave had Badsey & Barnes at Cow Roast around the time my pictures were taken, and there were a few couples around at the time who used to chat, whilst working on boats of various "qualities".

Sometimes we would all retire to one of the more comfortable boats for a coffee or beer, and often that meant into Betty, which was better appointed than our old Joey (!), and certainly more spacious than Barnes, even with it's extension cabin, (Badsey was largely unrestored, then).

Betty was owned by Noel and Angela, but I don't know if I ever knew surnames. Noel worked for Bass Charrington, and seemed to have endless supplies of "freebies" acquired through that route - I suspect half his boat fitting originated in a pub! We all benefited to some degree - Bass supplied all the "plastic padding" to reconstruct our then rotten cabin!

It's quite possible your mum no longer remembers me - I was partnered by Pam who became my first wife just after those pictures were taken.

I have fond memories of those times, and was shocked when I heard of the tragic death of one of the others who was around. I did meet Dave a few years ago, (not at a canal related thing), and we both chatted for sometime before it dawned on us who we each were!

I don't know how good Jill's memory is of these times, but there are pictures that prove that Badsey, Barnes, Betty and Japonica all moved around together sometime after my photos, or even after I left the canals. All show Betty very well presented externally, even if the bottom half was decidedly dodgy. That's why I'm struggling at the moment to see the Gas Street baot as the same one.

See if your mum remembers me, but it's far more likely she will remember my brother's Mike & Pete, (Bilster & Angel).

If anybody ever spots my old boat from then (Kerbau), the shortened Joey in the pictures, I'd be most interested. If not "Bantock" then certainly "Bantock-like".

My records give BETTY's owners as Noel and Angela Whitehill, and them selling the boat late 1977 to owners from Woolwich.

I last saw KERBAU at Saul on 01 July 2006. It looked pretty much as in your photographs but without any windows and the cabin extended all the way forward. I understand that the owner may have had 'words' with B.W. and moved the boat to the Irish waterways ! (unconfirmed).

While BADSEY and BARNES are being mentioned we (me and my wife) owned them from mid 1988 to late 1990, having bought them from the family who had them off Dave & Jill Humphreys. Our rapidly expanding family forced their sale, something I have regretted ever since.

I have a picture of Badsey in the mid 80's I think it was down on the southern GU (Uxbridge?) but the engine I think had just been replaced or was just going to be replaced because there was no engine room roof on?

Looks like Uxbridge. It had a PD2 in it when they owned it.

I have fond memories of those times, and was shocked when I heard of the tragic death of one of the others who was around.

She certainly does. I mentioned your name and she immediately said you had two brothers.

I asked her about the picture and she thought it was the Betty but agreed that the dates don't match up.

I assume you are refering to Gordon? Funny how things work out. Not sure if you know but Dave and Fiona are now married (have been for many years). They bought my boat (Satellite) last year.

The last one in the Dry Dock I do know BTW. I posted it for interest of those that don't.

Some more....

This unnamed Northwich motor was on the Worcester Birmingham canal at Alvechurch this week, tied up in a short arm near the Bittell reservoir.

012-2.jpg

And this Woolwich motor was a few yards nearer Worcester.

011-3.jpg

Along with a Woolwich Butty, Barnes

010-2.jpg

Edited by Hairy-Neil

My records give BETTY's owners as Noel and Angela Whitehill, and them selling the boat late 1977 to owners from Woolwich.

I last saw KERBAU at Saul on 01 July 2006. It looked pretty much as in your photographs but without any windows and the cabin extended all the way forward. I understand that the owner may have had 'words' with B.W. and moved the boat to the Irish waterways ! (unconfirmed).

While BADSEY and BARNES are being mentioned we (me and my wife) owned them from mid 1988 to late 1990, having bought them from the family who had them off Dave & Jill Humphreys. Our rapidly expanding family forced their sale, something I have regretted ever since.

Thank's Pete.

Noel and Angela is definitely right for Betty, so unless the gas Street picture is way after 1977, I can't see it being that boat.

When I sold Kerbau, I had completely re-cabined, but not yet refitted it. The square counter, (Harris brothers, Bumblehole, in the early 1960s), precluded anything very traditional, but at least I lost the shed with roofing felt, and gave it what lines I was able. It sounds like they have now built over the front well deck.

She would definitely have failed the "Hurleston test", at nearly 7' 3" beam, having been shortened whilst spread.

Kerbau_Lift.jpg

Kerbau_On_The_Road.jpg

Badsey & Barnes seem to have been "much owned", as I believe Phil Speight also had claim to them once, didn't he ?

She certainly does. I mentioned your name and she immediately said you had two brothers.

I asked her about the picture and she thought it was the Betty but agreed that the dates don't match up.

I assume you are refering to Gordon? Funny how things work out. Not sure if you know but Dave and Fiona are now married (have been for many years). They bought my boat (Satellite) last year.

Ah, well say hello for me! I suspect not having recognised Dave, I'd probably do no better with Jill, unless given a few clues, though. :lol: Is she still actively boating, please ?

As I said, I can't see it's Betty. Even if it got very run down, I'd expect a Masonite based cabin, not a T&G one, and other than the hull and "counter" shape, nothing matches for me.

Dave explained the situation about Fiona, and that he was still playing with boats - sounds like you have sold him a rather special one, again. If he is still around the Aylesbury area, I'm sure we'll meet him on the cut at some stage, being based very close.

Best wishes,

Alan

Ah! Berko before it got trashed.

I recognise the bridge by the former 'Navigation', and the lorry must be next to the crane which puts it opposite the railway - the railings are very distinctive. But the little garage is a surprise - that must have been right next to the 'mill like' building. I remember the Citroen garage next door to the station - are these shots pre 1970? I moved to Wigginton late '69. (from N. London).

Derek

Try this one, photo taken this week. It's recieved a gastly paint scheme since I last visited some years ago.

019.jpg

I think that that's the Rucorn 6 planker now in the Little Dry Dock pub at Windmill End, Netherton, pretending to be the bar. Not seen it recently, but the whole "trad" paint scheme was hideous in my opinion anyway

heers

Dave

I think that that's the Rucorn 6 planker now in the Little Dry Dock pub at Windmill End, Netherton, pretending to be the bar. Not seen it recently, but the whole "trad" paint scheme was hideous in my opinion anyway

heers

Dave

And the middle section was tanked and made into a steel boat, iirc.

Ah! Berko before it got trashed.

I recognise the bridge by the former 'Navigation', and the lorry must be next to the crane which puts it opposite the railway - the railings are very distinctive. But the little garage is a surprise - that must have been right next to the 'mill like' building. I remember the Citroen garage next door to the station - are these shots pre 1970? I moved to Wigginton late '69. (from N. London).

Derek

No, sorry Derek.

Well "post decimalisation, I'm afraid! :lol:

I can't recall exactly, but I didn't start to rebuild the boat until after my (first) marriage in 1977, so the earliest year I could have sold it, (and hence it was being craned) is actually 1978. Could even be 1979, I'm not sure.

I think at the time the garage was Shaw & Kilburn, (could be wrong), and this related to both the main garage by the station, but also the small filling station in the pictures. I seem to recall after the pumps went the covered structure remained as part of a used car sales area, but again may be wring.

The massive 6" deep holes left in the pavement by the cranes "feet" were not in-filled for many years, and remained there as a reminder of the loss of my poor boat.

The purchaser was working on the construction of a new motorway, (M11 possibly), and had got permission to put the boat in the compound where he lived in a caravan, so the next work on it was done well away from the canals.

I lived between Gas Street Basin and Sherborne Street Wharf between 1980 and 1985 and I don't remember this boat at all. The only boat of this type I recall was RICHARD, but that was a house boat at Hockley Port.

I do have in my records that BETTY was sold to owners at Hawne Basin in 1980 (having being sold twice in the late 1970's), and they subsequently 'replanked' the boat with steel. BETTY in its new form was still at Hawne Basin during June 2005

Yes sorry my mistake - it was Hawne Basin I saw Betty in, not Hockley Port.

However I, like Alan begin, to doubt that the boat at Gas Street could be Betty.

Narrowboat magazine (Summer 2008) has a picture of Cypress loaded with coal at Gas Street dated 1975 and it is clear that its cabin as seen in the background of Satellite's pic has deteriorated so I guess his pic is 1977 or later. I too cannot see the likelyhood of Betty's cabin altering and deteriorating to this extent nor the elimination of the "trad" cabin which can be seen in Alan's pics.

So what boat can it be?

Harry Arnold's 1962 picture in a Waterways World June 2004 shows Richard with an incomplete conversion but retaining the trad back cabin (unlike the Gas Street boat.)

In a follow up letter in Sepetember Roger Hatchard states

Richard sold for £75

Elizabeth sold for £50, was once owned by Ron Turner and was at Hockley basins in 1973

Loretto went down to Berkamstead in the 1960s and was fitted with a 3 cylinder Perkins.

So is the Gas Street boat Elizabeth?

Paul H

The last one in the Dry Dock I do know BTW. I posted it for interest of those that don't.

Some more....

This unnamed Northwich motor was on the Worcester Birmingham canal at Alvechurch this week, tied up in a short arm near the Bittell reservoir.

012-2.jpg

Did Birmingham and Midland (or whatever they call themselves these days) sell off Yeoford? Another possibility is the Halsall which is vbased in Oldbury but I haven't seen for a bit.

Paul H

heers

Dave

Definately the bows off the boat in the Dry Dock pub in Windmill End, Netherton, but not a six plank Runcorn boat in fact its the ex GUCCCo big ricky butty GLOSSOR

The Large Northwich motor boat stands a good chance of being Seaford as I know there mooring is near to butty Barnes and they travel round together.

Edited by Blossom

No, sorry Derek.

Well "post decimalisation, I'm afraid! :lol:

I can't recall exactly, but I didn't start to rebuild the boat until after my (first) marriage in 1977, so the earliest year I could have sold it, (and hence it was being craned) is actually 1978. Could even be 1979, I'm not sure.

I think at the time the garage was Shaw & Kilburn, (could be wrong), and this related to both the main garage by the station, but also the small filling station in the pictures. I seem to recall after the pumps went the covered structure remained as part of a used car sales area, but again may be wring.

Shaw and Kilburn - that was it! And, yes, I do remember second hand cars for sale along there. Completely forgotten about the pumps though. Tricky things memories when you go beyond five dozen years. :lol:

Did Birmingham and Midland (or whatever they call themselves these days) sell off Yeoford? Another possibility is the Halsall which is vbased in Oldbury but I haven't seen for a bit.

Paul H

As far as I remember the cabin on Halsall was a very dark blue/grey, almost charcoal, last time I saw it not many months ago. The owner does post here occasionally, maybe she'll confirm/deny?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Some more....

012-2.jpg

And this Woolwich motor was a few yards nearer Worcester.

011-3.jpg

Along with a Woolwich Butty, Barnes

010-2.jpg

The boat in the DryDock pub is GLOSSOR (Large Ricky butty - both ends - centre section became a house boat tanked in steel latterly at Battlebridge Basin.

Large Northwich motor is SEAFORD (owned by B.W.B. employee who lives at Bittell)

Large Woolwich motor is BEAULIEU (recently sold - nothing to do with BARNES)

Edited by pete harrison

Large Woolwich motor is BEAULIEU (recently sold - nothing to do with BARNES)

Thanks Pete. That was my thought. My guess would be they would be breasted up had they been in the same ownership, it's plenty wide enough there.

These GU boats keep changing so often and so much I struggle to keep pace. :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Thanks Pete. That was my thought. My guess would be they would be breasted up had they been in the same ownership, it's plenty wide enough there.

These GU boats keep changing so often and so much I struggle to keep pace. :lol:

Tell me about it, I've had a year off the boat research stuff and I've got so much to catch up on.

Edited by pete harrison

• 2 months later...

I'm going through some old boating slides from the 60s and transferring them to my computer. So far I've only found one which might be of general interest. All I can say about it is that it was taken in August 1964 and because of the slide number I know it must have been taken very close to Wheaton Aston where we were broken down at the time outside the Hartley Arms, and the Butty is called Fo... something. :lol:

7-9-2009_008.jpg