Preparing my new button

Bones

Featured Posts

I followed your link, Kristian. While I am not qualified to comment on the health aspect of creosote, I think that whoever wrote that review was misinformed as to its legality (as borne out by several posts above)

But if this new Creoseal is safer and does the same job, go for that!

p.s. In the old working boat days when boatmen took pride in their boat's appearance bow and stern bumpers along with other ropework were often scrubbed WHITE and getting the bumpers dirty was a no-no.

When I first bought our ex-working boat 20 years ago it was equipped with a rear fender made from white WWII parachute chord. I had it for another 10 years but somehow managed to lose it when I had work done on the boat. So I reckon it lasted the best part of 40 years.

Having googled I discover you can still buy parachute cord from Army surplus places. Has anyone ever thought of making a fender from this durable material?

I dont think you should be using creosote even if you can get it, its carsnagenic and illegel to buy and use it since 2003.

Kristian.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kalon_Creosote__Review_5482690

Well you would expect someone selling a substitute to "doctor" the facts to suit their own replacement product.

The Creosote (Prohibition on Use and Marketing) Regulations 2003 seeks to regulate the sale of creosote and it's use by the general public, and only refers to the use of creosote on timber, and the sale of creosote treated timber. There are several proffessional use exemptions including it's use on timbers in Waterways.

Interestingly the Act includes a paragraph which suggests that it is only illegal for a member of the public to use creosote if the packaging in which it was originally supplied bears the words "For use in industrial installations or professional treatment only" It also suggests that it is only illegal to supply crosote if the container is 20 litres or more.

I would suggest that, based upon my reading of the Act, if a person were to apply creosote, which they had not purchased, to a fender, they would not be breaking the Law.

Edited by David Schweizer

Off topic I know but the amount of stern fenders I see on boats trailing in the water is unbeleiveable, most of these are squashed beyond beleif and can't be doing a very good job.

Stern fenders should be "A dog's dick up not a dog's dick down" it's the first thing the rampant woman of the cut look for, so i'm told.

It will only make the rope last longer if the rope is made of natural hemp and not a polymer rope that just looks like hemp.

Even though they may look like hemp most fenders are in fact made of synthetic rope. In this case soaking it in either oil or creosote will damage the polymer structure and reduce the life of the fender.

i started the thread, and my comment suggesting it makes it last longer, was based on the fact that I know what my button was made of, it will rot without treatment so thus it needs treatment. I am a girl, not an idiot.

I get fed up of people not answering the question and then suggesting I dont know what I am talking about, and inserting pointless peices of information. Fair enough I should have made it clear the entire making up of my fender, but I took people on here to be people, not idiots, and it has certainly been clarified later on in the thread. Why assume it isn't hemp, instead of asking what it is.

Rant over.

Edited by Bones

i started the thread, and my comment suggesting it makes it last longer, was based on the fact that I know what my button was made of, it will rot without treatment so thus it needs treatment. I am a girl, not an idiot.

I get fed up of people not answering the question and then suggesting I dont know what I am talking about, and inserting pointless peices of information. Fair enough I should have made it clear the entire making up of my fender, but I took people on here to be people, not idiots, and it has certainly been clarified later on in the thread. Why assume it isn't hemp, instead of asking what it is.

Rant over.

The original post did suggest you did not have much of a clue about the subject, my guess is thats likely to be true. You should know more now so dont complain that people respond in some detail and in good faith to help you

Charles

For many years I took my fenders home every winter and soaked them in creosote substitute (Wicks) as Bones suggests.. My long stern fender is twenty years old now and as far as I know, still going strong, natural hemp rope.

The inside will last forever, it is a length of rolled up rubber conveyor belt.

Edit: Hang your fenders up in a garage or whatever with a big tub below, pour a gallon or so of the elixir over the fender to thoroughly soak it, let it drip and dry out for a few weeks.. I have always assumed that the real McCoy has been banned from use, the substitute stuff is still messy to but probably not as bad.

Edited by John Orentas

The original post did suggest you did not have much of a clue about the subject, my guess is thats likely to be true. You should know more now so dont complain that people respond in some detail and in good faith to help you

Charles

Bones of course is more than capable of speaking for herself but I think she has good reason to feel miffed at some of the assumptions and comments on the thread. Rather than showing an ignorance of the whole subject as you suggest she was showing that she did not know much about the relative preservative qualities of oil or creosote and wanted to know what people thought was best. This does not show that she is clueless about buttons and what they are made of, that, had been assumed by others.

By the way, I would as suggested further up use some kind of modern fence preservative it should do just as well.

Edited by churchward

Charles

Facinating. I always find guessing isn't nearly reliable as finding out for oneself - try it sometime, you know, the bit where you use fact rather than fiction. And as others have said, the original post asked whether oil or creasote was best - I think that shows I know something, it isn't as if I said shall I paint it pink or orange, and would it be better with purple bows tied on it or legless chickens, and do I put it on the roof or below the water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it we all think creasote is best. Thanks for the offers of some and some comparables. I will have at think and work out what I am going to put my button IN to soak it.

Edited by Bones

I take it we all think creasote is best. Thanks for the offers of some and some comparables. I will have at think and work out what I am going to put my button IN to soak it.

Don't include me in that "we". It's horrible smelly stuff that is going to get all over your clothes and hands whenever you handle the button and drip into the cut for ages.

It's your choice though.

Richard

Rant over.

Is it your time of the month or are you just an angry person? :lol:

Have a look at my comment again carefully - I didn't assume that your button wasn't made of hemp. I said "It will only make the rope last longer if the rope is made of natural hemp..." My comment was made for the benefit of all, not just you. Stop being so self-centred and try to understand that in posting a question on the forum you will get a variety of comments and answers. If you're not getting the answers you want then just move on and read the next one - there's no need to have a hissy-fit. If you can't be civil to respondants then please don't post questions in the first place.

Charles

I didn't think that Bones didn't have a clue - I made no assumptions when I replied, but I do agree with the second part of your post Charles. Throwing something back in someone's face after they've tried (but failed) to help is just rude. If I was obviously trying to be condescending then I could understand the response, but I wasn't. I would have said the same thing to anyone who asked the question (man or woman), and in fact because I research plastics I think I've made the same comment about polymers and creosote before when this question was asked on the forum. So I can't help thinking that this has more to do with over-sensitivity than anything else.

Edited by blackrose

Is it your time of the month or are you just an angry person? :lol:

Have a look at my comment again carefully - I didn't assume that your button wasn't made of hemp. My comment was made for the benefit of all, not just you. Stop being so self-centred and try to understand that in posting a question on the forum you will get a variety of comments and answers. If you're not getting the answers you want then just move on and read the next one - there's no need to have a hissy-fit. If you can't be civil to respondants then please don't post questions in the first place.

Congratulations, if your previous comments weren't enough, now you add insults. Your previous comment was pretty pointless, and I know what the button was made of, as do others if they read the thread.

I am perfectly civil (I can give you lessons if you like), and if you cant post anything relevant or helpful, then please don't post answers in the first place.

Don't include me in that "we". It's horrible smelly stuff that is going to get all over your clothes and hands whenever you handle the button and drip into the cut for ages.

It's your choice though.

Richard

This is true, I also meant creasote substitutes that have been suggested too, which have been very helpful.

Hear hear !! :lol:

On the contrary, the original post asked a simple question, asking for information about two possible choices. Nowhere did it suggest that she didn't have a clue!

Janet

For many years I took my fenders home every winter and soaked them in creosote substitute (Wicks) as Bones suggests.. My long stern fender is twenty years old now and as far as I know, still going strong, natural hemp rope.

The inside will last forever, it is a length of rolled up rubber conveyor belt.

Edit: Hang your fenders up in a garage or whatever with a big tub below, pour a gallon or so of the elixir over the fender to thoroughly soak it, let it drip and dry out for a few weeks.. I have always assumed that the real McCoy has been banned from use, the substitute stuff is still messy to but probably not as bad.

Bones of course is more than capable of speaking for herself but I think she has good reason to feel miffed at some of the assumptions and comments on the thread. Rather than showing an ignorance of the whole subject as you suggest she was showing that she did not know much about the relative preservative qualities of oil or creosote and wanted to know what people thought was best. This does not show that she is clueless about buttons and what they are made of, that, had been assumed by others.

By the way, I would as suggested further up use some kind of modern fence preservative it should do just as well.

Thanks guys. :lol:

John - can I borrow your garage?! :lol:

..... in fact because I research plastics ......

I research brains.... ;)

Edited by Bones

You could revert to a whatever, (shorthand for a tree).

I thought I might hang it off the tiller with a bucket underneath. I persume it just need to soak in rather than be soaked for weeks?!

Edited by Bones

Congratulations, if your previous comments weren't enough, now you add insults. Your previous comment was pretty pointless, and I know what the button was made of, as do others if they read the thread.

I am perfectly civil (I can give you lessons if you like), and if you cant post anything relevant or helpful, then please don't post answers in the first place.

I'm sure it was you who quoted my post first and sugested I was an idiot? Remember? If you want to start throwing insults around I'm only too happy to respond in kind.

I think my original response was relevant - but obviously not helpful. As I said, if you think a comment is pointless, just move on, there's really no need to be rude and throw it back in anyone's face when they'tre just trying to help.

Edit: In fact it's not until post 21 that you make it clear your button is made of natural fibre.

Edited by blackrose

I'm sure it was you who quoted my post first and sugested I was an idiot? Remember? If you want to start throwing insults around I'm only too happy to respond in kind.

I think my original response was relevant - but obviously not helpful. As I said, if you think a comment is pointless, just move on, there's really no need to be rude and throw it back in anyone's face when they'tre just trying to help.

And relax.

Edit: In fact it's not until post 21 that you make it clear your button is made of natural fibre.

It is quite clear in post 1. I wouldn't have asked whether it needed soaking if it wasn't.

:lol:

Edited by Bones

It is quite clear in post 1. I wouldn't have asked whether it needed soaking if it wasn't.

:lol:

It's not at all clear in post 1. We're not mind-readers!

Over the 3 years I've been on the forum several people have asked about soaking fenders and buttons that look like natural hemp but aren't.

It's not at all clear in post 1. We're not mind-readers!

Over the 3 years I've been on the forum several people have asked about soaking fenders and buttons that look like natural hemp but aren't.

That is super news. I am thrilled for you.

Edited by Bones

'Twas I who said, when I gifted the button to Bones, that it would need saoking to protect the hemp, which in this case is under the black polymer rope, with either Creosote or oil.

Little did I know what I would set off.

I knew that the button contained hemp which is why I said to soak it. Bones simply asked which was best. She did not ask what it might be made of.

Comments like 'fence preservative' are good because that is yet another option

Comments like 'I am a girl not an idiot' are informative.

Comments like 'you are an idiot' are insulting and the sort of stupid thing I say.

From other threads comments like 'I would be surprised if . . . . . . . ' are also really not helpfull when replying to Bones. She does know what she is talking about, she know her engine and boat very well and when she says 'I have a yellow duberry ferkin' I can assure all desenters that she will have one, it is yellow and is well aware of what it is and only needs to know how to fix the damned thing irrespective of what it is made of. I wish I knew as much about my boat as she does hers.

When her column header in Canal Boat says 'She has more degrees than most of us have GCSEs the editor is not joking. One does not get to be a doctor of anything by being an idiot.

I would now ask the mods to send the poster, who suggested such a thing, a big boo hiss!

Edited by Maffi