PC Vista question

dor

Featured Posts

You are correct, I can see it now, but I actually did a "find on this page" for "Download", and it didn't show, so maybe there was an error when I loaded the page.

It tells me quite a few things that "might have compatibility issues", which isn't too helpful really - will they or won't they ! It doesn't like my old version of Nero much, so that's one I might well have to buy again. It has also completely failed to identify programs whose suppliers state categorically don't work under XP. So I'm not sure it's telling me a lot, to be honest.

It also seems I can buy a new barebones PC with Vista on it for not hugely more money than a full retail version of Vista. Not really an incentive to upgrade an existing machine.

My son, at university studying engineering, has a very high specced laptop with Vista - he is quite computer literate, and really would rather not have Vista - he hates it.

Alan

All you can do with the "maybe an issue" ones is go to the vendors website and see if you need new drivers or SW version to be compatible with Vista or that they confirm you present HW or SW versions are OK. It is hard with these compatibility checks to be too definitive as everyone’s mix of things is different and they need to keep the download size within reason. As you have discovered it just helps narrow down the definite issues a bit so you can look the possible ones further rather than everything.

Things of note with XP is that the minimum spec was stated at 64 Mb Ram, however later applications required 128 minimum. XP doesn't like memory in the range of 2gb, so won't sit comfortably on a newer vista box.

Wasn't that just XP Original? My previous XP Service Pack Two machine had 4Gb and that was perfectly happy. (I do miss having a decent sized desktop machine!)

it amazes me how bloated OS's are.

Ahhhh remember the days when an IBM mainframe had 64Kb of ram?

So, looks like Vista with at least 2Gb of ram looks a reasonable option. What surprises me is my current machine is nearly 5 years old and has a 2.4GHz P4 processor. Seems processor speeds are not significantly quicker now.

Thanks to all for your prompt responses and your experiences.

Personally I'm sick to death of Vista and am finding myself using my Mac more than ever.

Why sick to death? Constant updates that require reboots, constant 'user controls' kicking in, and the whole thing just grinding to halt more and more often.

You can switch the "user control" facility off in Vista so it doesn't bother you anymore. Go to "Control Panel", then "User Accounts" and there is an option to switch "User Account Control" on or off.

Chris

Edited to add: I've also found that some programs that say that they won't work with Vista actually do - for example, I run astronomy software that works perfectly (or at least seems to) and drives my telescope fine, even though the manufacturer has stated that it won't.

I hate to say it but we have something in common. I too run Astronomy software, namely "Sky" (I think I have V6.0 IIRC). I too use it to drive one of my telescopes: a Meade 10" LX200 - fantastic instrument. I also have a 5" Phoenix Refractor (manually motor driven but no GOTO software) and a 3" Meade refractor with built in "GOTO" software.

Chris

You can switch the "user control" facility off in Vista so it doesn't bother you anymore. Go to "Control Panel", then "User Accounts" and there is an option to switch "User Account Control" on or off.

Chris

Yes, I know, but then it just starts moaning at you that you've turned the damn thing off, and there are still times it demands that you verify that you want to do something. It's a damn good idea, but one that MS just really messed up the implementation.

Yes, I know, but then it just starts moaning at you that you've turned the damn thing off, and there are still times it demands that you verify that you want to do something. It's a damn good idea, but one that MS just really messed up the implementation.

It shouldn't do that. I turned mine off when I first started using Vista and it has never moaned that I have turned it off nor ever asked me to verify anything unless I am about to delete something of course.

Chris

It shouldn't do that. I turned mine off when I first started using Vista and it has never moaned that I have turned it off nor ever asked me to verify anything unless I am about to delete something of course.

Deleting, firing up some programs, and (more bloody annoying than anything) rebooting when I've told it NOT to directly after an update. Still, I'm not that fussed now as it'll be downgraded to XP-SP3 by the end of the week.

XP doesn't like memory in the range of 2gb, so won't sit comfortably on a newer vista box.

Can't agree with that.....

Have upgraded one of Stuart's boxes to 2.5GB of RAM and it goes very very well, (XP Professional)

The ancient Dell I'm using here has been upgraded from 1GB to 3GB and is much better as a result (XP Home).

Equally we have an old machine that doesn't seem to take a memory upgrade, (don't ask!), and that runs XP Home fine with just 256Kb.

I believe if you put more than 3GB in an XP machine, the OS will ignore anything more than 3GB, (I may be wrong!).

Avoid Vista like the plague, it is an utter failure, it will be replaced soon and will be obsolete before all the bugs are out.

I have not seen one positive review of Vista that didn't include 'once you turn this off', 'but I can live with that' or 'once you're used to it'. As a programmer and designer, I expect my computer to work for me, not vice versa. They keep buying Vista machines at work and they are an absolute waste.

I would say either, buy a Mac and use Bootcamp to run Windows XP. (You will soon find that you won't need your current windows applications), or wait for whatever comes out after Vista an see if Microsoft remembers how to make something decent. There are many excellent replacements for a lot of Windoze cornerstones like Office and some others. I haven't missed a thing since switching.

Microsoft has a real problem with thinking that users are only attracted to mac and some of the newer Linux distros for the eye-candy.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

Sorry - not boaty, but I know many of you have plenty of PC experience.

My home desktop PC is entering its final death throws, and so I will be looking for a new base unit. Vista home premium appears to be the OS of choice; in fact there is little alternative it seems (much as I like unix, Linux is not an option as I need windoze for some applications).

My concern is whether or not some of my existing software will run, e.g. Word 2002 etc which is part of Office XP Pro 2002. Or Nero V7, Autoroute 2005 and others. I know there were a number of compatability issues when Vista was first launched, but have they been sorted now? Hopefully I can get Vista drivers for printers and scanners etc now.

I am tempted to stay with XP, but with memory so cheap these days it seems a bit luddite to not move forward, but having to buy a new system is bad enough, without having to shell out on a load of new software as well.

Any comments or experiences?

I am running Office 2000 with no problem also I have an Oki C3200 laser printer, Oki soon had a driver out for it, but the diagnostics don't work e.i. toner level. I also run Auto Route 12.00.07.1200 whatever year that is. Paint Shop Pro and many others. My scanner is a Tevion and it did take them about a year to bring out new drivers but its OK now, The only thing I had to buy was a new wifi dongle because the old one didn't work and the laptop I bought didn't have one built in. The built in security can be bit of a pain at times but makes you think before just hitting the Go button.

I just had a quick look at mine; with Vista running IE7 (4 tabs open), Windows Mail, Paintshop Pro, and iTunes, plus a significant chunk of memory being grabbed by the virus protection software, I am at this moment using 631 MB of my 1GB memory. That leaves plenty to spare. It doesn't show any symptoms of 'memory leak' whatsoever.

Sorry - not boaty, but I know many of you have plenty of PC experience.

My home desktop PC is entering its final death throws, and so I will be looking for a new base unit. Vista home premium appears to be the OS of choice; in fact there is little alternative it seems (much as I like unix, Linux is not an option as I need windoze for some applications).

My concern is whether or not some of my existing software will run, e.g. Word 2002 etc which is part of Office XP Pro 2002. Or Nero V7, Autoroute 2005 and others. I know there were a number of compatability issues when Vista was first launched, but have they been sorted now? Hopefully I can get Vista drivers for printers and scanners etc now.

I am tempted to stay with XP, but with memory so cheap these days it seems a bit luddite to not move forward, but having to buy a new system is bad enough, without having to shell out on a load of new software as well.

Any comments or experiences?

If you want a new machine I understand that what Aldi have tomorrow ( a Thursday special) is a good buy, not being a techy I don't know

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offer...8thursday08.htm

I hate to say it but we have something in common. I too run Astronomy software, namely "Sky" (I think I have V6.0 IIRC). I too use it to drive one of my telescopes: a Meade 10" LX200 - fantastic instrument. I also have a 5" Phoenix Refractor (manually motor driven but no GOTO software) and a 3" Meade refractor with built in "GOTO" software.

Chris

:lol:

I mainly use my CPC800XLT (which I bought ages ago from the States, when they first came out). I like it coz it has a great mirror, a good GoTo and its portable. I use it with Meade eyepieces and my DSI Pro II with RGB filters (looking at getting a III). I run Starry Night Pro Plus 6 software to drive it.

My mate, however, has bigger toys to play with in this Dept:

3060990791_38af505b0c_o.jpg

2.5 metre beast in Arizona

And he's working on the LSST Clicky!

Jealous, Moi ? - You Bet !

Edited by US Marines

I bought a vista A**r laptop from C***t recently to use whilst out cruising.

I started off by transferring data from my previous (XP) desktop, then added Office 2007 and endeavoured to activate some of the software off the desktop that I'd downloaded earlier and transferred over. Things like an FTP program and AVG Anti Virus software - I don't trust Norton.

PaintShop Pro wouldn't work - it kept popping up messages about colours. I spoke to Corel, who now own PaintShop and was told PaintShop 9 wasn't compatible with Vista so I lashed out and upgraded to the latest PaintShop version. Even that didn't like working, sometimes taking 15 minutes to load! Amazingly, PaintShop 9 started to work after I loaded the later version!

I tried to install my Canon flatbed scanner and that simply refused to work, with no drivers on the web for XP either, so I've bought a new scanner (but haven't installed it yet).

Amazingly, my Brother laser printer worked the first time it was plugged in. However, if I don't plug it in to the same USB port each time it re-installs and then I have to select the (printer) installation that I want to use. The same thing happens with my Nokia phone, which provides my link to the outside world when cruising.

My m515 Palm PDA wouldn't communicate with the laptop and seemed to activate the USB port when plugged in and then left that port activated when the plug was removed. I spent nearly a day trying to install it, trawling the web for ideas, all of which I tried and failed. In the end I bought an iPAQ off eBay at the weekend, which still hasn't arrived yet!

I do some programming and need access to DOS for it - the language I use is almost older than the GU! DOS defaults to a US keyboard and, although I've now found a workaround, it is long winded and not automatic.

In addition, over the weeks the laptop got slower and slower, taking several minutes to shut down and many applications failing to respond for several minutes. I spoke to A**r who recommended that I restore the system defaults, which wiped the content of the C drive (with warning) and meant that I had to spend eight, yes eight hours reloading software and all the updates that I'd loaded in the eight weeks previous. I'm glad I was connected to a land based broadband connection for this!

The wireless connection to the router, so that I can move the laptop around the house, is also not reliable, even now. I don't know whether this is a Vista or hardware problem. A**r told me what to do to try and resolve this (before I did the restore). Trouble was, the software I needed continually failed to respond - i.e. went to Not Responding - and, in the end I had no option but to do the full restore because the Internet link failed so often.

Everything seems OK at present. However, I have a C and D drive, the latter supposedly being for data, but Vista seems to make hardwork of displaying the D drive in Windows Explorer with the result that half my live data is now on C and half on D with old copies of eaqch on the opposite drive!

Personally, I don't rate Vista, but that could be partly because of the hardware and partly because I like what I'm used to and I find Vista so different. Alas, as I wanted a (new) laptop, I had no option.

Apologies for highjacking a boating forum with tails of computer woes, but the OP did ask!

Still :lol:

Ah. Telescope envy.

Yep, mate is a physicist studying dark matter and dark energy.

When its up and running, the LSST's camera will produce 400,000 sixteen megapixel images per night, which equates to some 30 TB of data per night, and it is expected to be operating for 10 years, leading to a total database over its operational life of 60 PB for the raw data, and 30 PB for the catalog database. The total data volume after processing will be over one hundred PB, processed using 250 TFlops of computing power.

(A terabyte (TB) is 1,024GB; 1TB is about the same amount of information as all of the books in a large library, or roughly 1,610 CDs worth of data. A petabyte (PB) is 1,024TB).

The LSST scientific database will include:

Over 100 database tables

Image metadata consisting of 700 million rows

A source catalog of with 3 trillion rows

An object catalog with 20 billion rows each with 200+ attributes

A moving object catalog with 10 million rows

A variable object catalog with 100 million rows

An alerts catalog. Alerts issued worldwide within 60 seconds.

Calibration, configuration, processing, and provenance metadata

That lot will make Excel/Access struggle a bit !

Edited by US Marines

With that sort of history I do not blame you but I have an A**R lcd monitor, over three years old now, touch wood, it is still OK.

We can only go by experience, yours bad, mine good but when I bought it I new it was not the best quality available.

Would I buy another, do not know, will make that decision at the time.

An optical telescope for looking at "dark matter" ?

It's OK I've got me coat ready.

Gibbo

:lol::lol::lol:

But, don't you know anything about the photographic process Gibbo ? It creates a NEGATIVE image on the film - so the Dark Matter will easily show up !

Mind you, its going to be a frustrating wait for Boots to process the film every night....