Licences to cruise.

tinca steve

Featured Posts

If I was on the Lee + Stort and wanted to CC all available connected inland waterways with a 57ft NB :- Just how many different licences would be needed. Who's cover which waters ?? :lol:

A few that I can think of:

British Waterways

Assuming that you don't have a gold license:

EA - Thames

EA - Great Ouse & Tributries (sp)

EA - Medway

Essex Waterways - Chelmer & Blackwater

(Last two 'connected' via scary thames tidal passages)

National Trust - River Wey

Basingstoke Canal Authority - Basingstoke Canal

Bristol Council - Bristol Harbour

Uant/Lant - River Avon

Middle Levels are license free but the owners of Marmont Priory lock 'request' a fee

MSCC - Bridgewater Canal (Free if you have a BW license)

MSCC - Manchester Ship Canal

River Foss? (Hear it may be free now)

There are prob others that I can't think of

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Calais port authority, only joking but it is connected.

Tims list is good, I suspect most of your cruising will be done on BW and EA and to cover all those a 'Gold licence' is available, the Gold is only available from January the first for a year.

You can buy it at other times but it will be back dated.

Middle Levels are license free but the owners of Marmont Priory lock 'request' a fee

Tim

Since when has the 'Lady of the lock' requested a fee?

As I travel to Outwell once a month to collect coal, I have never been asked for a fee.

Firesprite

Middle levels

:lol: Just how much would that cost a year ?? B____Y H___L :lol: I was hoping for maybe just a couple, that lot could make me :lol:

Well my Harbour authority dues are £33, for my 51' boat.

Also my Mooring, with electricity and water (though I've never used the leccy, yet). is £860 pa.

Since when has the 'Lady of the lock' requested a fee?

As I travel to Outwell once a month to collect coal, I have never been asked for a fee.

Firesprite

Middle levels

I've not been asked for a fee either. I did read somewhere that the lock-keepers on the MLN (Stanground, Marmont Priory, Salter's Lode) expect a tip and I've not done that either. (Through ignorance; I don't object to tipping them, but the etiquette is just so complicated...)

I wonder if my name is now mud.....

MP.

But only for transit passage to L&L or Rochdale Canals. If you were to stay for any length of time on the Bridgewater (14 days?) they will want you to buy a license.

You are allowed 7 consecutive days on the the Bridgewater

• 2 weeks later...
But only for transit passage to L&L or Rochdale Canals. If you were to stay for any length of time on the Bridgewater (14 days?) they will want you to buy a license.

Set out by Waterscape this morning:

Reciprocal Arrangement

Thursday 1 January 2009 - Thursday 31 December 2009

British Waterways are to extend (for a limited period only) the reciprocal arrangement for Bridgewater Canal licence holders. The current reciprocal arrangement between the Manchester Ship Canal Company and BW permits Bridgewater Canal licence holders to cruise as far as Burscough on the Leeds and Liverpool canal without further charge, for periods not exceeding seven days.

The reciprocal limit is to be extended to include the section of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal between Burscough and the Liverpool Canal Link, with effect from the 1 January 2009 until 31 December 2013. The Liverpool Canal Link is due to open in early 2009 and will be available to pleasure craft following its official opening.

A further notice will be issued in early 2009 to confirm availability of the new link.

I wouldn'y buy all of them! I'd buy a BW or Gold Licence and then buy the others as you need to, as they all have visitor licences that are valid for a week or two and you are unlikely to do the all in the same year or spend more than a week or two on each one.

I think you would to pay for ones for

Driffield Navigation

Beverley Beck

Market Weighton Canal (EA)

River Derwent (EA)

River Ancholme (EA)

Nene/Great Ouse (EA)

Cam (conservators of the Cam)

Chelmer and Blackwater (IWA)

Medway (EA)

Bristol Floating Harbour (Bristol City Council)

Wey (National Trust)

Basingstoke (Basinsgtoke Canal Authority)

Lydney Canal (EA)

Lower Avon (LANT)

Upper Avon (UANT-can buy a joint licence with LANT for two weeks)

River Dee (Chester City Council I think)

The Bridgwater is covered by a reciprocal arrangement for up to seven days

You need to bear in mind that the above is probably less than 200 miles of waterway in total.

You also need a seperate licence for the Broads, but they aren't keen on narrow boats (even if you could get it there) and their bylaws give a maximum length of 44 feet on some rivers such as the Ant.

Paid £52 a few weeks a ago

Tim

Was that at Stratford? We did the Warks Avon in the summer and a hire boat behind us got a £2 refund off Mrs Evesham Lockie as it was only £50 but they paid extra to the UANT fella in Stratford. We paid £50 at Evesham.

I wouldn'y buy all of them! I'd buy a BW or Gold Licence and then buy the others as you need to, as they all have visitor licences that are valid for a week or two and you are unlikely to do the all in the same year or spend more than a week or two on each one.

I think you would to pay for ones for

Driffield Navigation

Beverley Beck

Market Weighton Canal (EA)

River Derwent (EA)

River Ancholme (EA)

Nene/Great Ouse (EA)

Cam (conservators of the Cam)

Chelmer and Blackwater (IWA)

Medway (EA)

Bristol Floating Harbour (Bristol City Council)

Wey (National Trust)

Basingstoke (Basinsgtoke Canal Authority)

Lydney Canal (EA)

Lower Avon (LANT)

Upper Avon (UANT-can buy a joint licence with LANT for two weeks)

River Dee (Chester City Council I think)

The Bridgwater is covered by a reciprocal arrangement for up to seven days

You need to bear in mind that the above is probably less than 200 miles of waterway in total.

You also need a seperate licence for the Broads, but they aren't keen on narrow boats (even if you could get it there) and their bylaws give a maximum length of 44 feet on some rivers such as the Ant.

You missed the Thames!

Was not aware that you need a seperate license for the Cam, we have certainly never paid one!

Licensing on EA waterways can get complicated, the Anglian region has a regional license that covers all six of their rivers (Nene, Ouse, Stour, Ancholme, Glen and Welland or restricted licences that cover the River’s Ancholme, Glen and Welland or just the River Stour. See here for details. They also have reciprical agreements from one EA region to another!

Tim

British Waterways

Assuming that you don't have a gold license:

EA - Thames

EA - Great Ouse & Tributries (sp)

EA - Medway

Essex Waterways - Chelmer & Blackwater

(Last two 'connected' via scary thames tidal passages)

National Trust - River Wey

Basingstoke Canal Authority - Basingstoke Canal

Bristol Council - Bristol Harbour

Uant/Lant - River Avon

MSCC - Bridgewater Canal (Free if you have a BW license)

MSCC - Manchester Ship Canal

River Foss? (Hear it may be free now)

There are prob others that I can't think of

Tim

I didn't pay on the Middle Level when we went this year, I even had my own windlass which you normally need to hire. I did pay for a key for access to one lock in the middle of nowhere (cant remember name) and to use the services.

Was that at Stratford? We did the Warks Avon in the summer and a hire boat behind us got a £2 refund off Mrs Evesham Lockie as it was only £50 but they paid extra to the UANT fella in Stratford. We paid £50 at Evesham.

We paid as we entered the Avon at Tekesbury (for the joint Uant/Lant license)

Tim

Edited to say that just looked at the Web Site and it does look as though we were ripped off £2 :lol:

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis