You Couldn't Make It Up !!!

Henhouse

Featured Posts

Whilst at Great Bedwyn on the K&A this afternoon, I was sat quietly with a cup of coffee and the sunday papers, a middle aged couple were walking along the towpath. It was quite breezy, and the water was lapping over a nearby sluice.

As they passed me by he said to her; " THE TIDE IS VERY HIGH TODAY ISN'T IT "

......................8 hours later and I'm still bemused !!

Whilst at Great Bedwyn on the K&A this afternoon, I was sat quietly with a cup of coffee and the sunday papers, a middle aged couple were walking along the towpath. It was quite breezy, and the water was lapping over a nearby sluice.

Aww, I think that is rather sweet.

Was it said with an American accent? :lol:

They have been heard to comment on Windsor castle about what a lovely place it is, just a shame they built it under the flight path :lol::lol:

I was once in Bernkastel, a 16th century German town on the Mosel. Surrounded by half timbered and gothic buildings,

I overheard some American tourists that just arrived on a cruise ship

"Look darling - its just like Disney - only smaller" !!!! :lol:

Alex

I was once in Bernkastel, a 16th century German town on the Mosel. Surrounded by half timbered and gothic buildings,

I overheard some American tourists that just arrived on a cruise ship

"Look darling - its just like Disney - only smaller" !!!! :lol:

Alex

And many moons ago I was in the Louvre looking, as you do, at the Mona Lisa, when an American couple spluttered with obvious disappointment: "Gee, I never realised it was so small."

When I first moved to London I made the effort to walk to the end of Oxford Street to where I knew was the location of Marble Arch, Expecting something like the Arc de Triomphe I was bitterly siappointed at the diminutive size of it!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Or at Wells next Sea to a holiday maker "The waters high due to all the rain"

My wife was in the hairdressers today when a man came in and asked if he could make an appointment for his wife to have a hair cut and a blow job without realising exactly what he had said. My wife said all the ladies inside were biting their lips until he left the shop at which point they all fell on the floor laughing.

Peterf

A couple of years back as we stood beside the locks waiting for a queue on the Stratford, an American gentleman off an A-W hireboat insisted that the by-washes around the locks were built there when the canal was new, so that if the water level in the upper pound fell too low, it automatically triggered a waterwheel that pumped the water up the bywash from the lower level to the upper level. Nothing I could say would persuade him that it was impossible.

Whilst in Pompei looking at Versuvius I remarked to an American couple standing next to me that "I,m surprised that line of trees did't stop the lava flow!!" The straightfaced reply was - I don't think the trees were there then!!

Not sure if I was outwitted or they were serious!

When I first moved to London I made the effort to walk to the end of Oxford Street to where I knew was the location of Marble Arch, Expecting something like the Arc de Triomphe I was bitterly siappointed at the diminutive size of it!

Tim

When I first visited London as a child, I was very dissapointed by Piccadilly Circus - I was expecting a circus - you know with clowns and trapeze artists etc.

e-water-build-via.jpg

Nothing's impossible!

Ahh plans for the interior of a boat to be exhibited at Crick next year. Obviously only a draft copy, they haven't figured out where to put the plasma screen tellies, yet, have they?

When I first visited London as a child, I was very dissapointed by Piccadilly Circus - I was expecting a circus - you know with clowns and trapeze artists etc.

Ahh plans for the interior of a boat to be exhibited at Crick next year. Obviously only a draft copy, they haven't figured out where to put the plasma screen tellies, yet, have they?

Talking of plasma screen tellies - (sorry this is a bit :lol: ), but how about that Featured Boat in Canal Boat magazine last month? The red and white one (it was called white-something) - I think they had four or five TVs on board. I think I would be more embarrassed than proud to be on the cut in that thing (or does that just sound resentful) :lol: ?

j.

Our factory unit in Tewkesbury was flooded in July last year, as was the unit just round the corner where my wife works (causing over £1 Million of damage). The flooding was caused by water emerging from badly maintained storm drains, and the landlords were supposed to have cleared them. Everyone was keeping a close eye on waterlevels in the drains during further rainfall in September.

When the level had risen to just below a critical level, the landlord's agents were called. They sent a very nice lady, who looked knowlegeably into the flooded drain covers and said "I think it's the tides in the Avon that cause this."

My wife looked at her to see if she was joking, and it was evident that she was not. "There are no tides in the River Avon".

"Oh yes there are." the nice lady replied. "I know there are because I used to go boating on it with my husband, and it was definately tidal. Big tides, in fact."

"Somewhere near Bristol, I expect?" my wife asked, suspecting that the nice lady's geography might not be all that it might be.

"Yes."

"It's not the same river" explained my wife gently.

Relisation dawned, followed by much blushing. "I think I've just made a bit of a fool of myself" said the nice lady. Nobody argued.

Our factory unit in Tewkesbury was flooded in July last year, as was the unit just round the corner where my wife works (causing over £1 Million of damage). The flooding was caused by water emerging from badly maintained storm drains, and the landlords were supposed to have cleared them. Everyone was keeping a close eye on waterlevels in the drains during further rainfall in September.

When the level had risen to just below a critical level, the landlord's agents were called. They sent a very nice lady, who looked knowlegeably into the flooded drain covers and said "I think it's the tides in the Avon that cause this."

My wife looked at her to see if she was joking, and it was evident that she was not. "There are no tides in the River Avon".

"Oh yes there are." the nice lady replied. "I know there are because I used to go boating on it with my husband, and it was definately tidal. Big tides, in fact."

"Somewhere near Bristol, I expect?" my wife asked, suspecting that the nice lady's geography might not be all that it might be.

"Yes."

"It's not the same river" explained my wife gently.

Relisation dawned, followed by much blushing. "I think I've just made a bit of a fool of myself" said the nice lady. Nobody argued.

A few tears ago a regional newspaper printed a supplement on waterways to co-incide with the National which was being held locally. The first line of the front page article included ' the River Avon which flows serenely from Stratford to Bath'

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis