Deisel theft Uxbridge

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

So if anyone has "Please moor alongside stickers" take em down it's a serious security risk.

Those signs are mainly used on the river as there's no real reason to moor alongside on the canal, apart from at a few popular spots.

I generally find there's a better class of ditch crawler on the Thames :lol: , so hopefully no need to worry about those mooring alongside.

Edited by blackrose

At the risk of making generalisations and being an amatuer sherlock I suspect they were well prepared for this. It takes a fair amount of nerve to whip fuel off an occupied boat and even if they were ready to get unpleasant they'd want to avoid detection if they could so I wonder of they had a small electric pump and barrel ready so that the stuff would be out in a moment or two, or even just a plastic barrel with a pre-prepared vacuum

With my deerstalker on too - that's an amazingly audatious way to go about stealing diesel. Are you sure that some more secretive scrote didn't knick it the night before and you only noticed after "The Mysterious Incident of the Red Boat and the Lock"?

Tough luck either way. I'll go and have a look at fitting a padlock to our filler.

Richard

Saudi Arabia are planning to increase output now, however this could have been done several months ago, the oil companies blame speculators, well they would wouldn't they :lol: But they could have easily stoped the speculation in the first place by increasing production,

If you have a commodity, whatever it may be, it is surely good business practice (and common sense) to sell it at the best price you can. Pure and simple, and I'm sure we all do the same in our day to day lives.

Buy the things we need at the best available price, and sell our products to the highest bidder.

Oil prices are being driven up by demand outstripping supply.

In America there are 950 cars for every 1000 people.

In China there are 20 cars for every 1000 people. This figure is rising rapidly, and every time it does, so does the demand for oil.

This pattern is now being followed in India, and Pakistan. The simple truth being that as emerging countries become better off, we will find things tougher.

If you have a commodity, whatever it may be, it is surely good business practice (and common sense) to sell it at the best price you can. Pure and simple, and I'm sure we all do the same in our day to day lives.

Buy the things we need at the best available price, and sell our products to the highest bidder.

In China there are 20 cars for every 1000 people. This figure is rising rapidly, and every time it does, so does the demand for oil.

This pattern is now being followed in India, and Pakistan. The simple truth being that as emerging countries become better off, we will find things tougher.

Yes when 1.2 billion Chinese and a billion Indians all have a car we're screwed. Oh well, there goes the planet...

The cost to produce and deliver oil is a very small percentage of the actual price of oil per barrell, so in effect what you're seeing is profiteering. If everyone profiteered in that way the entire economy would collapse. We've known for years that China and India have been growing at a very fast rate, demand for oil has always grown year on year, the fact that OPEC decide not to increase output for a demand they know exists is either an attempt to profiteer, which they certainly do not need to do, or in my belief to give the West an uncomfortable piece of reality, that they can severely influence our economies any time they wish, and this is simply a warning to the west as a result of U,S and U.K foreign policies with regard to the middle East.

OPEC's scam third paragraph.

http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=601

The U.S fight with bombs, the far East use oil :lol:

The U.S fight with bombs, the far East use oil :lol:

And we could all fight back by not buying cheap imported crap from the other side of the world.

In very simplistic terms every time we buy something imported we are increasing the wealth of the people and the country from whence it came.

The nett effects being;

1) There will be an increased demand for oil in those countries.

2) By buying imported goods we are threatening what remains of the manufacturing industry in this country.

Individually it may not seem much, but collectively it could make a difference.

I was in a Coal Mine Museum recently. We were taken down into the now closed, non-producing mine to see how it was done. To my amazement, there was still lots of coal, big long seams of it. Asking the obvious question, I was told that oil is currently cheaper than that coal would be if they dug it out. In time that may change!

It wasn't Big Pit in Wales by any chance was it?

At the risk of making generalisations and being an amatuer sherlock I suspect they were well prepared for this. It takes a fair amount of nerve to whip fuel off an occupied boat and even if they were ready to get unpleasant they'd want to avoid detection if they could so I wonder of they had a small electric pump and barrel ready so that the stuff would be out in a moment or two, or even just a plastic barrel with a pre-prepared vacuum

I do agree with you - I think they were just looking for the right boat!

I do agree with you - I think they were just looking for the right boat!

Paul,

I don't think you answered the previous question about how you can be so sure it was the red boat

Why have you discounted the possibility that someone else had taken it, perhaps when you were not there, and the red boat alongside might not have been related ?

It sounds "unusual" to me to say the least. I would have thought it very difficult to do it, without you being aware of the pumping operation.

Taking from unattended boats is surely much more the norm ?

And we could all fight back by not buying cheap imported crap from the other side of the world.

In very simplistic terms every time we buy something imported we are increasing the wealth of the people and the country from whence it came.

The nett effects being;

2) By buying imported goods we are threatening what remains of the manufacturing industry in this country.

I'm all right Jack! Pull the ladder up!

How lucky we are to be born in a country that is in a position to choose who, in the world, remains in poverty.

Poverty is relative to where you are in the world.

There are plenty of people in this country who are poor. Pensioners for example who have to choose between eating properly or heating their homes.

However, in comparison to the starving millions in Africa, they would appear to be wealthy.

It is our basic survival instinct to look after the interests of our nearest and dearest. Protecting the interests of our country is an extension of that philosophy.

I dont pretend to understand this but; I have friend who works in strategic planning for a major oil company and he tells me;

As we work through the various stores of oil on the planet, obviously we take out the easiest to recover first. Then when that is gone we start onto the next easiest. We are apparently going through a step right now where the easy stuff has run out and we have moved on to a more difficult to recover source. It simply costs more to get out of the ground now so whatever the speculators might influence in the short term, the simple fact is that in the long term, oil is now more expensive.

I was in a Coal Mine Museum recently. We were taken down into the now closed, non-producing mine to see how it was done. To my amazement, there was still lots of coal, big long seams of it. Asking the obvious question, I was told that oil is currently cheaper than that coal would be if they dug it out. In time that may change!

maybe Maggie was right to help close the coal mines. the coal is still there for when we REALLY need it BADLY in the future. This could be rather a good long term plan. If you keep your own materials in your own ground and deplete others' materials you end up keeping what you can easily get at, rather than selling it and relying on folding bank notes, which are remarkably difficult to generate power with or heat your home.

maybe Maggie was right to help close the coal mines. the coal is still there for when we REALLY need it BADLY in the future. This could be rather a good long term plan. If you keep your own materials in your own ground and deplete others' materials you end up keeping what you can easily get at, rather than selling it and relying on folding bank notes, which are remarkably difficult to generate power with or heat your home.

One unforseen and quite important side effect of the demise of our mining industry is the tens of millions we have saved in payments for injury and ill health associated with working as a miner.

There wasn't the Claims R Us culture back in those days.

If we ever do revive coal mining in this country then I am sure it will be conducted under far more stringent conditions, and quite rightly so.

Unfortunately we currently import much of the coal we use from China. A country with an appalling record for mining accidents.

Are we condoning bad working conditions by doing this ? Or taking away the jobs of Chimese miners if we don't buy their coal ?

As with most debates the views of individuals will be many and varied.

It's unlikely Maggie had any such plan, especially considering that we pumped the North Sea oil and gas as fast as we could and p*ssed the proceeds against the wall. The Norwegians used the revenue from their share of the oil to build a massive fund for use when it's gone, and Holland (I think) has kept back an enormous gas field as hedge against future shortages. The UK oil just got pumped to suit the multinationals - they loved Maggie.

MP.

Unfortunately we currently import much of the coal we use from China. A country with an appalling record for mining accidents.

Are we condoning bad working conditions by doing this ? Or taking away the jobs of Chimese miners if we don't buy their coal ?

As with most debates the views of individuals will be many and varied.

I don't buy Chinese or other foreign goods, unless it's unavoidable, but for reasons other than protectionism.

The nett effects being;

We can all fight back, he said, clambering on to his favourite soap box, by buying locally. OK, oil is not a local option, but food damn well is. I get saddened by posts saying, "ooh, how convenient, they've just built an Asda at Knobworthy Wharf on the Sloppie etc etc". There is so much availability of local produce close to the canals and rivers. Please use it. Or drown in hypocrisy. And eat seasonally. I have done for 2 years now. It's a revelation.

Edited by Dominic M

I understand that we export a high proportion of our North Sea Gas in the summer months and then BUY IT BACK in the winter months AT HIGHER COST because we can't store it ... Err can someone explain why we don't leave it in the ground until we need it by planning its extraction using the other half a brain cell being used at the moment ? Or is it profiteering and "live for the day" policy at work again ?

Anyone heard when duty on LPG is going up ? Time to look again at ditching diesel and using LPG instead or will it go up too in the next year or so ?

Nick

Paul, it's annoying to say the least!

No Problem had her fuel pinched also. We had filled up at Oundle Marina on the River Nene and had gone on to moor at a popular mooring on a bywater by the Ashton Lock.

We are almost certain our diesel was taken from there.. around 125 litres.. well we had a full tank of 240 litres.. see they won't take it all because these thieves don't want you to find out for a long time.. makes it more difficult to try think where it was snitched.

Being a continuous cruiser, it is not THAT often that No Problem is left with nobody aboard..

At Ashton moorings, we decided to go to Oundle for the day as it was market day.. there was a narrowboat moored close by with rubbish all over the path alongside the moorings.. an unkept boat with some people aboard who we wondered about.

Don't get me wrong here.. if a boat is unkept I have no problems with that.. I rub shoulders happily with all boaters.. but I was wondering how this boat managed to have so much rubbish on the path.. it was obvious that the boat had not moved in a very long while..

Apart from that boat, we don't think there has been an opportunity for anyone else to have stolen the diesel, we only found out when, after having our gearbox repaired and replaced the engine spluttered to a holt.. Unbelievably, when the tank was dipped, there was no diesel... minus about 125 litres of what should have been in there!

I think there should be a sticky in this forum for people to post any diesel thefts and who they suspect.. OK no names unless you know, but any tips as to where and who might help other boaters to safeguard the 'gold' that diesel has now become.

When I return to the canal system in the autumn, if I see that boat again, I shall report it to the police, that is how sure I am of the culprit.. plus I will post on here...

Edited by Sue

True. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ap...oal.commodities

Another problem is the governments lack of long term planning. Labour had a decade of financial good times where they had the money to do something about our reliance on energy from abroad but threw it away.

If the lifespan of a nuclear power station has been known from the day they were designed, why have they waited until they are becoming redundant to consider what to do about replacing them? Due to lack of foresight and planning the UK no longer has the people or technology to build our own power stations as the last company in the UK that was capable has been sold off to the French I believe.

I was in a Coal Mine Museum recently. We were taken down into the now closed, non-producing mine to see how it was done. To my amazement, there was still lots of coal, big long seams of it.

I understand they have to leave some in to hold up the roof......

It's hard to believe that someone would syphon out the diesel while your boat was occupied!

It will have been pumped. It would be virtually impossible to siphon fuel from a boat, the laws of physics see to that, especially so if you were trying to do it covertly.

I need a new car, all I can buy British is a taxi cab or a sports car....

I need a new lorry, all I can buy British is a dustcart or fire engine....

I dont pretend to understand this but; I have friend who works in strategic planning for a major oil company and he tells me;

As we work through the various stores of oil on the planet, obviously we take out the easiest to recover first. Then when that is gone we start onto the next easiest. We are apparently going through a step right now where the easy stuff has run out and we have moved on to a more difficult to recover source. It simply costs more to get out of the ground now so whatever the speculators might influence in the short term, the simple fact is that in the long term, oil is now more expensive.

There are coal mines in wales being reopened, quite a few. so back to steam power then.

as a country we have always had huge coal reserves but just cant or wont dig it out, more than enough for 150+ years, what with the long term price of oil, i can see a time when we have a coal industry again, its just that "Maggie" wound it up cos she could!