Hit by a hire boat !!

Bright Angel

Featured Posts

Handy info, as a mate of mine was out the other weekend and one of the local day hire narrowboats went straight into the back of his 25ft GRP. Smashed into the engine which slid across the transform, before putting a nice big crack through it (the transom, not engine - that is just dented).

He has reported it and arranged a survey of the boat with the aim of fixing everything courtesy of the hire yard.

I had a hire boat crush my canoe. They laughed at me when I suggested exchanging insurance details.

My word against the hirer, they said, and the hirer would deny the incident ever happened.

Nice company, well known for hiring to single sex parties (it was a hen party that hit my boat).

Any contact information on joining these singles sex parties? :wub:

Sadly we cannot name and shame the dodgy hirer here for fear of legal action

More paranoia!!

As long as you're stating true facts no one can take legal action against anyone involved with this site.

I use a Volkswagen owners forum a lot and there's plenty of naming and shaming that goes on on there without anyone ever being taken to court for stating facts!

I find it incredibly annoying to constantly see this repeated paranoia on this site.

More paranoia!!

As long as you're stating true facts no one can take legal action against anyone involved with this site.

I think that the person(s) concerned could take legal action if they wanted even though the site owner may very well have a good defence (in a defamation action, if the facts were true). However, the proceedings would all probably be very costly and it is best avoiding them if at all possible.

I was once hit in the side by a hire boat coming round the corner towards me except he never turned and hit me full bore in the gunnel. I was left with a large dent and damaged paintwork. As i was heading towards the hire base concerned and went it to the office and got them to inspect my boat, they did not argue and booked me in for required repairs and was all sorted with in a couple of weeks, but if they had not taken this action i would defently persude them you go all the way they should not be allowed to get away with it.

Bright Angel - first of all, a belated welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear of your difficulties you will find that most hire companies are far more helpful. Sadly we cannot name and shame the dodgy hirer here for fear of legal action but I would be interested to know who we are talking about if you could send me a PM.

You didn't say if you have tried writing to them. A letter clearly stating your case and sent by recorded delivery should get a reaction especially if you state that if they fail to respond within 14 days, you will pursue the matter through the courts and that will involve them in further expense. Better still, if you have a tame solicitor, get him/her to send the letter. If they do not resond, you must take the matter to the small claims court - never make a promise or a threat unless you intend to carry it out!

I have just picked up all the different threads to my first posting and the general theme is to take it to the small claims court. I did, by the way, write to them a couple of times but to no avail. As it is now almost 3 years since the incident I wonder if I am too late.

Regards

John

Edited by NB Alnwick
Company details removed to protect the forum from potential litigation.

Heading southwards, coming round the corner at the Anderton services and a Claymoore boat came heading right towards me. Just had the boat recently blacked, which I was thinking about - I didn't want my hard work being ruined... ! ... So I turned into him, which just caused the boats to rub alongside each other length ways instead of the bump which would of happened.

I told the hirer where he should of been, and the reply I got was... "my name is Mickey Mouse, report me" !

Edited by Liam
cos I have been on the pop

I was cruising not moored

Apologies!

i was reminded of a bend at Bathampton where BW have the end of their 'visitor' mooring. It is usually full of liveaboards and i quite often come around the blind bend breasted up swing bridge before winding hole is a good place to breast the boats.

I've been the steerer in one of these hire boat incidents years ago. We were going up the Llangollen and after a full morning of lock free cruising arrived at Ellesmere junction where I misjudged the corner and piled into a boat moored on the outside of the bend. I would have had ample time to stop had reverse gear not failed. We called out the boatyard and they fixed the gearbox and replaced the wine glass and stove glass I'd broken on the other boat. The owner was initially incensed but quickly calmed down after we explained and demonstrated the gearbox failure.

i was hit right into the back of my old boat by a boat from wyvern, as i was heading that way i stoped and wrote a letter as i had a big dent.

No reply a few weeks later, so i rang, he told me to come down which i did and he gave me some free paint lol..

however i have to admit to wacking a boat at a lock, the wind caught me as i was waiting for the gate to open, i had to power forward or broad side the canal, anyhow using some power i managed to get the back to wack into a moored boat, my excuse was it was hard to steer due to it being a center cockpit with ventus hydrolic steering, the lady shot out of her boat and had a moan, and i would of too, i apolergised ask about damage etc and she was ok then, however i was very red faced. mistakes happen. and sometimes the wind catches anybody out

We are moored on the visitor moorings at Tardebigge at the moment and to those who are not familiar with the location it is a long straight section of canal just prior to Tardebigge top lock, since mooring here we have been hit by 2 hire boats and one private, just glancing blows which have taken paint off, the weather is a bit blowy which I suspect is the problem. What really annoys me is that none of the boaters has stopped or given any indication of offering any apology. I don't know what Hire companies advise hirers to do if they hit anyone ? Does anyone know if there is any legislation covering failing to stop after a collision, after all if you did the same thing in a car you would be guilty of an offence if you hit someone elses car and failed to stop or report it. Most boats are worth more than cars. ;)

It's a big toy. It's bound to get dented/scraped eventually. So long as it's not structural what does it matter? I thought it was a contact sport anyway. ;)

I think you missed my point - I accept that due to what ever reasons collisions will take place - it is the casual way some people think they can damage other peoples property and not even say sorry or acknowledge what they have done.

We are moored on the visitor moorings at Tardebigge at the moment and to those who are not familiar with the location it is a long straight section of canal just prior to Tardebigge top lock, since mooring here we have been hit by 2 hire boats and one private, just glancing blows which have taken paint off, the weather is a bit blowy which I suspect is the problem. What really annoys me is that none of the boaters has stopped or given any indication of offering any apology. I don't know what Hire companies advise hirers to do if they hit anyone ? Does anyone know if there is any legislation covering failing to stop after a collision, after all if you did the same thing in a car you would be guilty of an offence if you hit someone elses car and failed to stop or report it. Most boats are worth more than cars. ;)

Thats life!! I am moored in Norbury at present very very windy and I have been hit 8 times so far today....and only came out of dry dock from painting last Wednesday but these things happen the boat is made of steel and all I need to do next time I am moored up with towpath on that side is get some paint out!! Chill out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats life!! I am moored in Norbury at present very very windy and I have been hit 8 times so far today....and only came out of dry dock from painting last Wednesday but these things happen the boat is made of steel and all I need to do next time I am moored up with towpath on that side is get some paint out!! Chill out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic - HIT BY A HIRE BOAT. Some of it was very helpfull and some just made me think !

I still don't know if I will take it further but one thing is for certain, I will tell anyone and everyone which company it was that effectively made me poorer by over £300 and lied to me on many occasions just to wriggle out of their responsibilities. I will advise anyone asking me where they can hire a boat from NOT to use the company who own the boat that hit me and if I chat with any hirer in one of their boats, tell them to check their bills.

I also realise that some of you think I am a sad individual with nothing better to do and that I need to wave happily at anyone who crashes into me, or damages my property, through lack of care and just Chill....and you might be right. But rest assured If I crash into any of you whilst cruising the cut, I will stop, apologise and make good any damage.

Meanwhile please keep the messages coming, I am sure Hire company owners and employees read this forum and maybe, just maybe it will cause them to act more professionally when faced with a similar incident.

Regards to all who replied

It's a big toy. It's bound to get dented/scraped eventually. So long as it's not structural what does it matter? I thought it was a contact sport anyway. ;)

Sorry but,

A home is not a big toy, if a house/home was being `Hit` and getting dented/scraped, it would be a different matter.

One little hit may not cause any structural damage but many over a period of time would, I think, weaken the steel/structure.

Any mention of the words `Contact Sport` when talking about the inland waterways gives a very bad message to anyone new to boating/or not, as it would then give an excuse to the hitting of other boats. No need to apologise.... it`s a contact sport!!!

Stepping off the soap box now and getting the paint out :)

Boats bump. It really is unavoidable and you just have to live with the slight knocks. If there is a BIG bang resulting in damage then yes of course, that's why we have insurance, but if we stopped to exchange details at every contact the canals would be clogged by boaters scribbling on bits of paper!

I've hired quite a few boats over the years and the number one rule in the event of an accident (insurance demand) is DO NOT APOLOGISE.

Now the ethics of this policy I think are questionable to say the least. I wonder whether someone hiring a boat for the first time and after a maximum of twenty minutes training is qualified to be held liable, apology or not, might an interesting arguement in a court.