Hit by a hire boat !!

Bright Angel

Featured Posts

I've hired quite a few boats over the years and the number one rule in the event of an accident (insurance demand) is DO NOT APOLOGISE.

How sad that this is what it has come down to, no apologies for fear of being taken to the cleaners no doubt!!!! and yet a simple sorry can work out cheaper on occassions. ;)

I've hired quite a few boats over the years and the number one rule in the event of an accident (insurance demand) is DO NOT APOLOGISE.

Now the ethics of this policy I think are questionable to say the least. I wonder whether someone hiring a boat for the first time and after a maximum of twenty minutes training is qualified to be held liable, apology or not, might an interesting arguement in a court.

I've hired twice now and I've been fortunate enough not to have come in contact with another boat. I would be devistated if I hit someone's pride and joy but if I bumped a moored up boat I would apologies prefusely (spelling?).

For future reference, what are the causes of collisions? I'm guessing windy conditions, newbies (like me) mis-judging the turning circle of the boat or admiring the scenery and not where you are going.

Kev

For future reference, what are the causes of collisions? Kev

In my experience it is any time when you have to forget what you anticipated doing and deal with sudden arising of unforseen circumstances.

For example, bridge on a blind bend, moored boats in the bridgehole at both sides, you give a good blast on your horn, and in the absence of a reply proceed. AAAARGH! BOAT BOAT REVERSE! WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE ANSWERED MY HORN? GET THROUGH THAT GAP? GET THROUGH THAT GAP? *bump* phew!

Something like that anyway. That or two boats passing where one takes more water than they should and the other bumps moored boats as a result.

I forgot to mention that if you take a company or person to court, they usually have the right to have the case heard in the court of thier choice.(usually local to them) So if the company you want to take to court is miles away it's likely you'll have to travel to state your claim.

I believe that it is only individuals who can insist on the hearing being at a court near them. Companies do not have that right and are obliged to attend the issuing court except by mutual agreement with the claimant. I think.

We were hit by another NB bow to bow, no damage luckily, just doors and drawers flung open. The excuse was his reverse had gone and he needed to stop - Glad we could help!!!! :(

I've been the steerer in one of these hire boat incidents years ago. We were going up the Llangollen and after a full morning of lock free cruising arrived at Ellesmere junction where I misjudged the corner and piled into a boat moored on the outside of the bend. I would have had ample time to stop had reverse gear not failed. We called out the boatyard and they fixed the gearbox and replaced the wine glass and stove glass I'd broken on the other boat. The owner was initially incensed but quickly calmed down after we explained and demonstrated the gearbox failure.

Have you two met?

but one thing is for certain, I will tell anyone and everyone which company it was that effectively made me poorer by over £300 and lied to me on many occasions just to wriggle out of their responsibilities.

Although sadly, it seems, you are not permitted to do so here.

Although 'contact sport' aint really the correct phrase to use it is pretty near the truth. Just visit any coastal marina and see how many fenders of various sizes are deployed by all vessels.

My last encounter on the Old Tub was on my home mooring. A 20' splitter approaching the pontoon on an outgoing tide with 4 crew as well as the skipper aboard, ploughed into the back of me at speed.

Thankfully their pointy end rammed my Iron rubbing band just above the planks on the stern, popping the fixings but doing no other damage.....If their pointy end had been 2" lower then i wouldve had sprung planks right on the stern post

5.jpg

As it was, it took some muscle to re fix the Iron band.

After he had finally secured himself to the pontoon he came up to me laughing that he had been having problems with his reverse gear...........It was a 20'boat with twin volvo engines!!!!!!

next morning, he was gone from the mooring and i have no way of tracing him short of visiting every marina and harbour from chatham to the rest of the world.

At least on the canals we can get a reg number.......9 times out of 10

I think you missed my point - I accept that due to what ever reasons collisions will take place - it is the casual way some people think they can damage other peoples property and not even say sorry or acknowledge what they have done.

Why should that surprise you when cars are regularly damaged in supermarket car parks with nobody having the decency to own up

You can definitely understand certain collisions. Especially those involved in very windy weather when even the most experienced boater can be taken by surprise. I saw plenty of that over the weekend with people getting blown to the sides, knocking into each other.

It's not nice when your pride and joy (and home) is hit, but at least the majority of the time, all that is damamged is a bit of blacking or gunnel paint.

We have been hit a few times and the first we usually say is 'Are you OK?', as they could be quite shaken up. They usually feel tons better and usually always apologise because you haven't come out fists shaking and mouth shouting.

Ive been reading this topic for a bit now, and although i dont feel any need to take sides, or infact feel that i have the information to. Having not sean eather the crash, the damaged, proposed fix, or any of the people involved (theres always two sides to every story anyway).

- However throughout it all i can say is how sad it is that such a topic even exists. Rightly or wrongly on eather side, are we actaully talking about going to a small clames court for £300?

- Clearly as i say, ive not seen the dent. But £300 to put right doesnt sound that big to me. And mean chrst, even as a student on £6 an hour thats only two weeks cash which i would put down to life.

Ps. Is there any chance of a photo....?

Daniel

You've obviously got money to burn then dhutch.

£300 is a lot of money to some people and why should anyone be that much out of pocket because of someone elses incompetence??

Plenty of people working a full hard week in a rotten job for less. If you look at it that way it's a lot to be robbed of.

Surely the point is that a hire company has adopted a loathsome policy in order to reduce it's costs at the expense of innocent boaters, and where possible that policy should be opposed, and such opposition should, IMHO enjoy the support of boaters as a whole.