Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

I wish you'd photographed the whole of the boat, whose bows are showing, in front of No.3, Tim. That's bugging me as much as not recognising the main subject.

If No 3 is the Dane then Dane moors next to Umea. Umea has a butty "awaiting restoration" called Monnow. So I think that it's the bows of Monnow we can see missing the top bend (and more besides.)

Paul

It always seems to me a shame that the thing most likely to be missing from an interesting boat is it's name.

I always thought it was a licence or a proper mooring! :lol:

Paul

If everyone put a name on their boat it would make this incredibly entertaining thread just a little more drab.

"Can anyone identify this boat?"

"Yes it's written on the side!"

OK, I've removed the name from this one:-

Whatisit-2.jpg

Taken at the same time as the Kenilworth pic which I posted.

Tim

Pic eedited because I spotted my own mistake.

Edited by Timleech

OK, I've removed the name from this one:-

Whatisit-2.jpg

Taken at the same time as the Kenilworth pic which I posted.

Tim

Pic eedited because I spotted my own mistake.

I think it's the Middle Northwich motor Taygeta, now used by BW as a maintenance boat around Anderton.

Kind Regards

Matt

So I think that's all of them accounted for apart from No 4 labelled Uxbridge to Little Venice.

Is it moored on the offside above Cowley Lock?

There are/were two wooden motor boats moored along there - Umea (which it is not) and the little-known Dane.

Dane is an ex-Mersey Weaver boat which was known in the 70s as Bream when Pete Thompson had it. It has been heavily restored (by who?) but I thought was converted. It should not be confused with Thomas Clayton's Dane which moors at Langley Mill.

I think I'm right but perhaps Mr Baldock could confirm?

Paul

Bream Peter and Peggy who was I think Canadian ?? tied up Cowley 1980's after extensive restoration and conversion by John Wooley

Edited by bargeeboy

I'm going with Taygeta too..

Bears a resemblance to this...

IMAG0029.JPG

The reinforcement on the back of the counter is a bit of a giveaway :lol:

And, just for the records, here's a recent pic of Kenilworth taken at the Middlewich Festival yesterday...

Kenilworth 1

Kenilworth 2

Actually that's two pics :lol:

Tim

Can anyone name these three motors?

I know the first two, but not the one on the outside?

DSCF2048.jpg

After opening my eyes I have just realised which boat it is. However, I shall stay stum, and wait for the answers to this easy one!

Edited by Liam

Can anyone name these three motors?

I know the first two, but not the one on the outside?

DSCF2048.jpg

After opening my eyes I have just realised which boat it is. However, I shall stay stum, and wait for the answers to this easy one!

I think it's DARLEY.

It seems to be registered at Rickmansworth with number 160, and carry a gauging number of 12661.

But as I don't know the boat at all, and it may have been cut to 20 feet with a shed on top, I could be wrong.

Alan

Yep, it's Darley. I must be blind as I didn't originally see the reg' no' until I had already posted.

The other two, whilst not displaying their number, do have their names on the water cans so you'll probably be able to guess from them!

I think it's DARLEY.

It seems to be registered at Rickmansworth with number 160, and carry a gauging number of 12661.

But as I don't know the boat at all, and it may have been cut to 20 feet with a shed on top, I could be wrong.

Alan

You're absolutely right, I was carried away with the potential alliteration without thinking whilst on my way to bed. Alperton is the (current) butty to Darley. I know them both quite well, having rebottomed the Alperton.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Remember this one, from 1969.....

BlueLinePair1Cropped.jpg

I can now confirm it as definitely Renfrew & Lucy, having managed to borrow a couple of other slides taken at the same time.

It seems the boats had just turned out of the arm at Braunston to head north up the main line.

The distinctive non-traditional water can is clearly on view in the first picture.

Renfrew_and_Lucy_1.jpg

The secomd borrowed slide is very poor, having been shot into the light.

Renfrew_and_Lucy_2.jpg

I don't know enough about these families to know who the bloke on the butty is - a son perhaps ?

For completeness the other pair that the photographers passed in the flight were indded the Brays....

Nutfield_and_Raymond.jpg

Another 1969 photo, this time at Fenny Stratford....

Bideford_and_possibly_Slough.jpg

Butty is clearly Bideford, which I know was paired with Slough around this time.

Can anybody positively ID this as Slough, please ?

(snip)

Another 1969 photo, this time at Fenny Stratford....

Butty is clearly Bideford, which I know was paired with Slough around this time.

Can anybody positively ID this as Slough, please ?

Compare that with this shot from the Robert Wilson book 'Epilogue'.

Slough0001.jpg

It's picture 22, and the similarity is convincing. Barber pole Rams Head; chimney chain and brass; the metal rope guards at the bottom edge of the cabin corners; the hasp on the cabin door; the marks on the counter, the middle section lighter than the bottom; fenders match too.

These are Sidney Macdonald's boats in lock 15 Stoke flight.

I'm convinced.

Edited by Derek R.

• 2 weeks later...
Mabel and Forget-me-not

Edited to say: Their deconversion is going well.

Thanks, which is which?

We regularly pass these two as we go from Hatton to Kingswood and back. I thought that the motor had sunk but she is still floating at the stern. The butty definately still floats. They are both quite straight and don't seem to have much rot in the lower parts of the hull.

There's another wooden boat on our moorings - a powered butty (?!) used as a liveaboard, and it is up for sale. I'll try and take a picture of her as well.

Richard

What a thoroughly depressing sight :lol:

Nice fore end, though :lol:

Tim

What, getting on with removing those awful cabins?

There has been loads of hull work been done to both boats, the AS2 in Mabel has been rebuilt and they are both in very sound condition.

It surprises me that you can't see past a scabby cabin, Tim.

The owners aren't super rich, so it's happening quite slowly, but they are a damn sight better off than when they were sunken, on a section 8 and the dredgers waiting, at Cropredy 10 years ago.

Thanks, which is which?

Mabel is the motor.

Thanks, which is which?

Hia,

Mabel is the motor and ... well I'm sure you can work it out for yourself. :lol:

They worked as a hotel pair for 40 years until 1997. How sad to see them in this state. I see Forget-me-not still has one of its rose painted widow shutters which used to be on the windows of both boats. Those shutters were quite a distinctive feature of the early hotel boats.

The blue plastic over Mabel looks to be quite recent. Does it look like anyone is doing anything with them or have they been abandoned to their fate?

Natalie.

Edit: Carl beat me to it. that's what happens when the cat deletes half your post by walking across the keyboard.

Edited by Natalie Graham

Mabel is the motor.

Thanks Carl. On reflection you can just make out "or" on the counter of the butty so I could have worked it out!

Do you know the wooden butty at Hatton? Sound hull, full cabin conversion in wood. Engine in its own cabin at rear, possibly air cooled. Large wooden plate at waterline to cover propeller. Fetching shiny blue and black livery.

Richard

Hia,

Mabel is the motor and ... well I'm sure you can work it out for yourself. :lol:

They worked as a hotel pair for 40 years until 1997. How sad to see them in this state. I see Forget-me-not still has one of its rose painted widow shutters which used to be on the windows of both boats. Those shutters were quite a distinctive feature of the early hotel boats.

The blue plastic over Mabel looks to be quite recent. Does it look like anyone is doing anything with them or have they been abandoned to their fate?

Natalie.

They are in the process of being restored to their unconverted state.

Their hull condition is the best since they stopped being hotel boats and were left abandoned, by their previous owner who ran off to Saudi, leaving them sunk, in Cropredy.

Since then they have cruised much of the system and spent many months in dry dock, having their hulls worked on.

The sight is not sad, it is heartwarming to see they will, one day, be in working trim, again.

Oh and the Tony Lewery painted window shutters are safe and sound (I've got some of them).

Hia,

Natalie.

Hi Natalie,

I have seen Mabel being worked on, but now she is inside Forget me Knot and under blue plastic it is hard to see progress. As Carl says they look fairly sound structurally.

Richard

Do you know the wooden butty at Hatton? Sound hull, full cabin conversion in wood. Engine in its own cabin at rear, possibly air cooled. Large wooden plate at waterline to cover propeller. Fetching shiny blue and black livery.

Not without a photo.

Last I heard Adelaide was somewhere that way but, apart from the fishplates, none of the rest of the description fits (unless Lizzie's won the lottery).

Photos always help.

Edited to say: Those Tooley windows were awful, btw, they leaked like mad, as soon as it started to drizzle.

Edited by carlt