Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

At first I thought it might be Friends of Raymond's accurate rebuild of Nutfield. :lol: (my first smilie!)

Actually I think I know but I'l give someone else a chance - particularly Andy who should read his site!

Presuming this adaption has survived since BW maintenance why was it constructed to such a low profile? Was it to fit through a particular tunnel or was it a stealth boat to hunt down unlicenced boats?

Paul H

I should perhaps say that it isn't a current picture, the boat looks a bit different today.

Tim

At first I thought it might be Friends of Raymond's accurate rebuild of Nutfield. :lol: (my first smilie!)

Actually I think I know but I'l give someone else a chance - particularly Andy who should read his site!

Paul H

LOL @ Nutfield

and I dont know if its on my site but Ive never seen it before. Looks like a bad attempt at copying Georges cabin and forecabin on a Northwich.

Using deduction I'll go with Usworth, Naburn I saw a pic of about 20 years ago when she was cut down by BW for use on the northern reaches. She looked nothing like that at that time.

After being told off by someone for using deduction in the past I am loathe to do so now.

:lol:

We have recently passed what purported to be Usworth, and it was a very cut down beast indeed, (well under 40 feet, I'd guess - perhaps little more than 30 feet).

It also seemed to have just too low hull sides for a "town" unless ballasted very low in the water. I couldn't really work out exactly what I was looking at, to be honest. IIRC, it was kind of "cruiser stern", but the memory may be playing tricks.

(We were moving, so only had a brief look).

.... but can think of no other option.....

With the exception of Kenilworth.....

Kenilworth has the correct fore cabin and about the same shortened hull length. But Oakley also has (or had) the same fore cabin, but I know it's definitely not Oakley....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Kenilworth has the correct fore cabin and about the same shortened hull length. But Oakley also has (or had) the same fore cabin, but I know it's definitely not Oakley....

Kenilworth was my guess as well as it and Naburn are the only two I haven't seen and Andy's site (you should have a look at it sometime Andy - it's really good) lists:

150KENILWORTHTRICK 8021.7.361262729606/1936 shortened '60s to 45ft tug. Shortened to tug and with BWB up until early 1990s. f.s.7/94 now 50ft converted and based at Dutton on the T&M 2000

and knowiing what trad boatyards are like - once you go there, you never leave!

Paul H

PS Previewed this post and see formatting has gone all to cock but hope you can read the Dutton bit!

Kenilworth was my guess as well as it and Naburn are the only two I haven't seen and Andy's site (you should have a look at it sometime Andy - it's really good) lists:

150KENILWORTHTRICK 8021.7.361262729606/1936 shortened '60s to 45ft tug. Shortened to tug and with BWB up until early 1990s. f.s.7/94 now 50ft converted and based at Dutton on the T&M 2000

and knowiing what trad boatyards are like - once you go there, you never leave!

Paul H

PS Previewed this post and see formatting has gone all to cock but hope you can read the Dutton bit!

Indeed it is the Kenilworth.

It's more than 50' now (Can't remember exactly how long, it was a few years ago!).

It's actually based at Acton Bridge/Bartington, just down the road. It does still have the 'interesting' fore cabin, I would have loved to chop it off, partly because it's not very symmetrical, but the customer is always right :lol:

Tim

Whao, would have never of guessed. Looks completely different to the Kenilworth I know now.

Yes I agree with you about the bow cabin, I think it's totally out of character and could do with an angle grinder taking to it, but each to their own, they say. I will try and remember to take a pic of the boat the next time I'm going past, for the records.

Tim, can I use the pic on my site? If so do you have an idea of when it was taken? Hopefully I can get a copy of an up to date shot as well at some point to compare between the original (which I have) and subsequent changes.

Tim, can I use the pic on my site? If so do you have an idea of when it was taken? Hopefully I can get a copy of an up to date shot as well at some point to compare between the original (which I have) and subsequent changes.

Yes, since you've asked <G>

The pic came off a Kodak PhotoCD dated 3/95, I was sorting some shelves yesterday & stumbled on it unopened.

The picture is imprinted 24/1/95, is that precise enough? :lol:

I think most of the major work was done in that year.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Okay, my turn...

Was going through the few pictures I have, digging some out for Andy's website when I came across this. It was taken in the summer of 2006.

guess_what1.jpg

I thought that the maintenance gang on the Erewash used Lacerta which was also cut down to around 45' and is still around in caring private ownership. Regards, HughC.

And the Corvus too at various times.......

The information on Kenilworth was before my time on the Erewash, but I have it on good authority.... :lol:

Your right in it not being Oakley. She's being rebuilt by Steve Prendergast:

Oakley Blogg

And a damn fine job he seems to be doing :lol:

Okay, my turn...

Was going through the few pictures I have, digging some out for Andy's website when I came across this. It was taken in the summer of 2006.

guess_what1.jpg

Well not exactly a stampede to guess this one!

It's a Josher and in BW colours so that narrows it down quite a bit. The only two that spring to mind are Lynx and Rudd - although Dory was painted in BW colours for a while I think it was FMC by summer 2006. Rudd has the yellow and blue the other way round on the swans neck - so....

It's the Lynx. The early steamer-type counter and the just visible green side cloths seem to confirm it.

Matt's site

Other working boat sites are available.

I believe it is owned by Fred Heritage (old boatman) and moors at Brewood. So is this where the pic was taken Liam?

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

Paul,

As other answers/guesses are not very forthcoming, I'll spill the beans...

I can't tell you the boats name as I don't know it myself but you are correct in saying that it was taken in Brewood. It was either late July or early August in 2006.

Btw, Dory, we passed earlier on on that same trip at Dutton near Tim's dock in FMC colours.

Paul,

As other answers/guesses are not very forthcoming, I'll spill the beans...

I can't tell you the boats name as I don't know it myself but you are correct in saying that it was taken in Brewood. It was either late July or early August in 2006.

Btw, Dory, we passed earlier on on that same trip at Dutton near Tim's dock in FMC colours.

The best I could have managed would have been 'early Josher' so thought I would wait & see.

Yes the Dory was here for a while, for docking as well as fitting a 15hp Bolinder.

The counter is completely different anyway, especially so as it's been demotorised ('Buttified') & then remotorised. The rudder post is almost vertical.

Was she in BW colours after remotorising?

Tim

The best I could have managed would have been 'early Josher' so thought I would wait & see.

Yes the Dory was here for a while, for docking as well as fitting a 15hp Bolinder.

The counter is completely different anyway, especially so as it's been demotorised ('Buttified') & then remotorised. The rudder post is almost vertical.

Was she in BW colours after remotorising?

Tim

Andy Boucher had Dory in blue and yellow after he had it remotored by Ian Kemp. Then it was sold on to the Bath Stone Co who had it in Barlows type colours and called it Elaine. Then sold, put back to BW colours (I think) and original name and now FMC colours. Another boat with a Bolinder? Where are they all coming from?

Lynx is actually lettered British Transport Waterways which although it was the early name for the nationalised concern, I don't think was ever painted on any cabinsides originally. May be wrong though.

Paul H

Lynx is actually lettered British Transport Waterways which although it was the early name for the nationalised concern, I don't think was ever painted on any cabinsides originally. May be wrong though.

Paul H

I've seen at least one Blue and Yellow liveried that was lettered with 'Britain's Waterways'. Forget which now... :lol:

When my brother owned Bilster, he did her up superbly in British Waterways livery.

They were quickly down on him like a ton of bricks, telling him that nobody else was allowed to paint their boats as if they were BW.

He duly modified the small black panel normally used for "Registered at......."

In the small black panel it said....

"Michael Fincher's Boat For Use On The...."

and below it, still in full BW yellow on blue

BRITISH WATERWAYS

They were not impressed, but it stayed thay way thereafter.

The "logo" also had some suitably derogatory wording introduced into it.

They also told him he could not use GUCCCo livery, as they held the rights to it - strange as even then many other boats were so painted.

Things seems to be more relaxed now, as loats of boats are restored in BW livery, but are nothing to do with BW.

Edited by alan_fincher

Things seems to be more relaxed now, as loats of boats are restored in BW livery, but are nothing to do with BW.

I've spoken to one ex GU, ex BW boat owner that claims BWB insisted they change the name of the boat when they bought it in the mid 1960s. It has in recent years reverted to the Grand Union name.

There's a Reliant 3 wheeler van (Del Boy type) I've seen locally runs around in full Eddie Stobart livery..... :lol: