Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

So it wasn't just me who tried to zoom in on the BW plate!

I also thought Barlows due to the pattern of painting on the bows but I'm not that good enough yet to tell the difference between a Northwich and a Woolwich, nevermind Braunston bows :o

A picture of Daphne, and a bit of info can be found on this page...

http://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/samuel_bar...carrying_co.htm

Edited by Liam
To add link

One of the reasons I asked the date was because Hardy has her Index plate on the cabin bulkhead (and stable doors) but hasn't had paint on the bows, since the rebuild (and the bows are far more accurately done).

The front end looks a bit like Raymond's attempt, though retains some Nurserisms.

Daphne was my best guess because she's the only Nurser motor I don't know well (though I've never seen Ian "undressed")

I'm foxed too - but all wooden boats look the same anyway and they never have names on :-)

Outrageous statement!

If you show me photos of many wooden boats, with bows and sterns removed, I'll identify them by the position of their scarphs. Bung the pointy bits on and it's usually easy.

Almost certainly a wooden Josher, those bows are quite distinctive.

I'm fairly sure it's a Nurser but has not been rebuilt completely accurately. The Nurser front end has a more pronounced double curvature, making it look "dumpier" (for want of a better word, to describe one of the most graceful front ends on the cut).

I think whoever rebuilt this didn't get enough bend in the planks and ended up with a longer bow, than it should have.

Raymond's front end is a more extreme example of this error. If you look down her front hatch, you'll see her wooden knees are almost as straight as fence posts, whereas they should be distinctly s-shaped.

I was thinking delaminating ply.

It's just right for short grain from using too straight grained a plank for the top bend

Tim

Almost certainly a wooden Josher, those bows are quite distinctive.

Not suggesting this might be it, but does anyone know what happened to the Aster?

Tim

Not suggesting this might be it, but does anyone know what happened to the Aster?

It was that resemblance that made me say 'josher', Aster is moored near Bath after spending a bit of time in Bristol. This picture would have to be more than 11 years old to be Aster as that's the length of time I've known her with full-length cabin.

The guard iron on the stem has a pronounced side to the d-shape that Aster also has.

the picture of forgetmenot on Wiki: I think I'm in love!

Edited by Chris Pink

It was that resemblance that made me say 'josher', Aster is moored near Bath after spending a bit of time in Bristol. This picture would have to be more than 11 years old to be Aster as that's the length of time I've known her with full-length cabin.

Was she ever deconverted? First converted a long time ago.

Tim

Was she ever deconverted? First converted a long time ago.

Tim

Not to my knowledge, I heard she was a Salvation Army boat from way back. Extensively restored by John Smith in Bristol 10 years back, she was put back in the water and someone crashed into her stoving in a side plank so she had to come out again. On her trip down to Bristol her stem was severely damaged in a lock (sheepish owner = hazy details).

Extensively restored by John Smith in Bristol 10 years back, she was put back in the water and someone crashed into her .....

I've photos somewhere of Aster under restoration (new bottoms?) at Bristol docks circa. 1994......

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I dare say its a different boat ..... but my parents had a narrow boat in the 70s called Forget Me Not.

She was one of the very first of the Harborough Marine / Anglo Welsh fleet. 36', oak over elm but with a steel counter. Converted by the Baker brothers, she was said to be the back-end of a butty going backwards with a new steel back. 2 pot Lister, direct manual gearbox, sea toilet and NO bow thrusters.

Happy days

Andy - I'll see what I can find but we're talking 30 years ago, the old grey cell filing systems aren't what they were !

Edited by jake_crew

I dare say its a different boat ..... but my parents had a narrow boat in the 70s called Forget Me Not.

She was one of the very first of the Harborough Marine / Anglo Welsh fleet. 36', oak over elm but with a steel counter. Converted by the Baker brothers, she was said to be the back-end of a butty going backwards with a new steel back. 2 pot Lister, direct manual gearbox, sea toilet and NO bow thrusters.

Happy days

That's at least three wooden Forget me Nots in living memory, then.

Tim

Happy days

She was a purpose built boat, Jake.

Wooden harboros were built with steel back ends which, sadly, meant the end for most, as the steel sank and the wood struggled to stay afloat.

I had the longest wooden HM built, Tramella. At 62' she was the only one built over 45' and, as she was built for the director of Anglo-Welsh, she was never used as a hire boat, so her back end was still straight.

I sold her on to someone who took her to the Great Ouse.

No pictures, sadly, but here's one Fuzzyduck found:

99b0f47Ap7zuKrJAeA0jI0xdpaoNjXjLIwvqv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Strangely tiny??

Edited to say: Here's Fuzzy's original, for the hard of seeing:

IMAGE_00042.jpg

Edited by carlt