Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

The Narrow Boat Trust's BOD took a close look at this issue about 10 years ago when there was a charities commission shake up and reinvented themselves to fit the charity parameters.....

It does surprise me that, what are essentially shared ownership clubs, get lottery funding and charitable contributions to do what so many other historic boat owners are doing, out of their own pocket.

If the Canalscape-BCN scheme is being run in the same vein as the H.F.Truman trust or the LNBP and I've misconstrued their "membership scheme" comment, completely, I will happily eat my words and put my hand in my pocket.

I still think BCN boats at risk should have been used, though.

Been looking through my photos from my early boating days and have found a few photos that I would like to add to my working boats photo project if only I could identify them:

01 This one was taken at Athestone in September 1986:

102964037.jpg

02 Coventry canal 1st January 1986 (Butty is 'Cheam')

102964045.jpg

03 Taken at the same time (01/01/86)

102964051.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The inside boat at Atherstone is Buckden. The outside boat is possibly Hesperus but it does look smarter than I rember it in those days.

The boats on the Coventry Canal look to me like a Warwickshire Fly Boat Co staff outing. I'll show the pictures to Rex and Steve at Brinklow next week but I would guess it is either Birmingham or Greenock towing Cheam and Cassiopeia towing Bakewell.

Paul H

• 2 weeks later...
Been looking through my photos from my early boating days and have found a few photos that I would like to add to my working boats photo project if only I could identify them:

01 This one was taken at Athestone in September 1986:

102964037.jpg

02 Coventry canal 1st January 1986 (Butty is 'Cheam')

102964045.jpg

03 Taken at the same time (01/01/86)

102964051.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Tim

Tim - your pictures have disappeared!

Paul H

Tim - your pictures have disappeared!

Paul H

Sorry about that - was sorting out my pbase albumns when I accidentally deleted a folder instead of a picture - here they are again:

Athestone 1986

103511120.jpg

Coventry Canal 1st January 1986:

103511200.jpg

103511408.jpg

Tim

Sorry about that - was sorting out my pbase albumns when I accidentally deleted a folder instead of a picture - here they are again:

Athestone 1986

103511120.jpg

Coventry Canal 1st January 1986:

103511200.jpg

103511408.jpg

Tim

OK, the definitive answer.

The boats at Atherstone are the Buckden and Hesperus as I thought. The boats on the Coventry Canal are Barrow (Dave Gunby) towing Cheam and Planet and Bakewell (Rex Wain.)

Confirmed by David and Rex today. They were on their way to the Ashby Canal and got iced up for 5 days at the Limekilns.

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

OK, the definitive answer.

The boats at Atherstone are the Buckden and Hesperus as I thought. The boats on the Coventry Canal are Barrow (Dave Gunby) towing Cheam and Planet and Bakewell (Rex Wain.)

Confirmed by David and Rex today. They were on their way to the Ashby Canal and got iced up for 5 days at the Limekilns.

Paul H

Thanks very much for these (Rex built the back cabin on Fulbourne)

Will put some more up soon!

Tim

Umea, Dane and the butty Monnow? (see earlier posts, in this thread)

Well, Umea doesn't look a lot different from when I remember it at Cowley (not brilliant), but Dane - that's a shock.

These shots were taken IIRC on the embankment between Cosgrove and the aqueduct twenty years ago, but what boat? Looks like a big Ricky. But I'm probably wrong.

CadburysBoats0006.jpg

CadburysBoats0007.jpg

Is this Hadfield? In the infamous Nick Sanders disguise.

Edited to say: There were only 17 cadbury boats.

Difficult to see, but the Reg. Bm No. looks like 76254, I haven't found that anywhere and wonder if it's not the BW No.

Hadfield was Reg. Rk 199. I don't know Nick Sanders - what was he infamous for, or shouldn't I ask?

Edit: Did he have a sweet tooth?

Edited by Derek R.

Nick Sanders is an adventurer, rtw cyclist and biker and took the pair "unspolit by progress" from the black country to the black sea. Also he is the king of the blag and an all round nice bloke.

Before the "unspoilt by progress" voyage he painted up the big Ricky "hadfield" in Cadburys colours. The rest of the tale may be too full of "allegedlies" to be readable.

Try 'Poplar' for the Cadbury Butty and the mystery Josher on the Shroppie several pages back looks a bit like 'Kangaroo' when she was on the T and M before rebuilding.

Sorry, Poplar's had no front end, since coming out of the flashes and it was definitely Hadfield that was the phantom Cadbury boat.

These aren't teasers for the testing, as I genuinely don't know, or have forgotten the names.

The following were taken in the late eighties during some distance cruising and they may well have changed since then.

No1. Somewhere on the Shroppie IIRC

Pict0020.jpg

Pict0019.jpg

I think this is the boat you are referring to, I tried to buy her at the same time as Mr Burge did and she was much rougher than that as I recall, could have been a few years before that tho. It does bear a passing resemblance to the garden she was moored at the bottom of.

• 6 years later...