Can anyone identify...

AMModels

Featured Posts

7 Southern GU 14th April 2006......... A hunch says it's Cambourne, though cabin extension is new to me.

Could be, I guess, but Caldy has certainly had a squarish portholed conversion put on, whilst retaining a BWB "box" at the back end, largely untouched.

Right down to the "armoured" flaps to cover those slot-like BW windows, which this boat also retains.

I'm pretty certain it's Caldy.

(Edited to say I have the wrong boat, and it's definitely NOT Caldy :lol::lol: )

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm pretty certain it's Caldy.

I'll go with that. Both were maintenance boats so both have the squarish back cabin. Cambourne also had the armoured window guards too, and a green back cabin that this has. Caldy was dark blue when I last saw her. But then I've not seen Caldy for perhaps 10 years, but she had a very distinctive counter when I last saw her, made up from strips of rubbing strake welded on diagonally.

I'll go with that. Both were maintenance boats so both have the squarish back cabin. Cambourne also had the armoured window guards too, and a green back cabin that this has. Caldy was dark blue when I last saw her. But then I've not seen Caldy for perhaps 10 years, but she had a very distinctive counter when I last saw her, made up from strips of rubbing strake welded on diagonally.

;):lol::lol: Oops! ;):o:lol:

I think I may have gaffed big-time, Neil......

There is certainly a boat exactly as you describe, but it's unconverted. (Think it has diagonal strakes to the bows as well as stern). It's down at Ricky, I think, and I'm now thinking that's Caldy.... :lol:

So if that's Caldy, what's the one I'm thinking of, 'cos it definitely ain't Cambourne ?

I wish I'd kept quiet now.....

Embarrased....

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

So if that's Caldy, what's the one I'm thinking of, 'cos it definitely ain't Cambourne ?

Carnaby also has/had the diagonal strakes on the counter, and the boxy 'maintenance' cabin (with armour plating) but was cut down to about 50ft. It also had the hull cut away both sides above the top strake between the front of the cabin and the rope locker bulkhead

And yes, Caldy has/had diagonal strakes at the pointy end too......

This is totally bugging me now.

The boat pictured was moored just outside Berko for many many months whilst that extension cabin was being fitted out.

"Continuously cruising" I suspect, as there were no official moorings where it was near Bottom Side Lock.

If it was Cambourne I'm certain I would remember as that was one of two full length maintenance boats on out patch back in the 1970s, (Saltaire being the other).

But I'm now convinced that Caldy is the unconverted full length boat down at (I think) Ricky.

I've been through the list, and I simply can't find a candidate for this one.

I don't think it's still there, or I'd go and take a look, (assuming it's displaying something with a namr on, of course!...)

3 don't know, at the moment but that cabin door decoration is ringing bells.

4 Can't see a 4, Alan??

9 The last unconverted Nurser, Lucy and the Thomas Clayton Tar boat Usk (before the fire)

10 Hardy, the last Nurser Bros boat to be built.

11 Star class rickys Umbriel and "Ariel" (being a flashes boat it had no id so the owner picked one he liked)

16 Star class Ricky, Electra.

Hi,

1 Southern GU = Middle Northwich butty Leonids

2 Grand Union Canal = Middle Northwich motor Zodiac

5 Southern Grand Union Above Springwell Lock = Middle Northwich butty Leonids having been repainted

8 Hatton To Calcutt = Aquila and butty

13 GU Uxbridge = Columba

14 GU Dedale To Lapworth = Hydra

15 Coventry Canal Streethay Wharf = FMC motor Crane

Here is a link to a recent photo of Caldy taken in 2006 link

and here is a photo in 2006 of Carnaby link

Kind Regards

Matt

Hi,

1 Southern GU = Middle Northwich butty Leonids

2 Grand Union Canal = Middle Northwich motor Zodiac

5 Southern Grand Union Above Springwell Lock = Middle Northwich butty Leonids having been repainted

8 Hatton To Calcutt = Aquila and butty

13 GU Uxbridge = Columba

15 Coventry Canal Streethay Wharf = FMC motor Crane

Here is a link to a recent photo of Caldy taken in 2006 link

and here is a photo in 2006 of Carnaby link

Kind Regards

Matt

Grrrr can't get the Tim's original link to work. Very frustating.

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

Paul H

Yep,

That link is now well broken for me too.

Can't go back and see what I meant by "number 4" then, Carl. :lol:

Thanks for info on Caldy and Carnaby, Matt.

Both what I was expecting, once I'd sorted out my muddled thoughts.

So what the hell is

(7 Southern GU 14th April 2006.)

It's definitely an ex BW maintenace boat - you can see that from the pic. I wish I could see it again - it was a Town, and not a Star, wasn't it ? I really can't come up with a candidate.

Also.....

I'm sure it's one of these "swapped identity" things, but if number 2 is "Zodiac" (wish I could see picture!), what is the "Zodiac" at the top one of these pages....

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...-heritage-craft

Also.....

I'm sure it's one of these "swapped identity" things, but if number 2 is "Zodiac" (wish I could see picture!), what is the "Zodiac" at the top one of these pages....

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...-heritage-craft

The Zodiac on the waterscape link is the Middle Northwich motor originally named Tucana, she was renamed by BW to Zodiac, so there is now two Middle Northwich's named Zodiac.

Matt

The Zodiac on the waterscape link is the Middle Northwich motor originally named Tucana, she was renamed by BW to Zodiac, so there is now two Middle Northwich's named Zodiac.

Matt

Thanks,

Too confusing for my simple brain!

I noticed Tycho still tied up alongside Ian Tyler's boat at Bulbourne by the way, but didn't have my camera with me for a second time :lol: .

Awesome thing, that ice ram !

Too confusing for my simple brain!

BW jumbled up the names of several ex Grand Union boats, :lol:

IIRC the actual Middle Northwich 'Zodiac' was sold out of service carrying the name Deimos. The Little Woolwich 'Deimos' then still a BW tug was carying the name 'Slough' last time I saw it.

Matt

Ah, Hydra...... One of only 2 Little Woolwich motors I've yet to see and photograph. (the other is Bargus) :lol:

Paul H

Is working ok now.... :lol:

So what the hell is

(7 Southern GU 14th April 2006.)

It's definitely an ex BW maintenace boat - you can see that from the pic. I wish I could see it again - it was a Town, and not a Star, wasn't it ? I really can't come up with a candidate.

Why are you so sure it's not Cambourne???

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Paul H

I think they are back on line now!

Anyway, thanks for all the responses -

Off for weekend on Fulbourne on the Southern oxford so I will try and sort out the answers on Monday when I might have a few more that need identifying.

Hopefully in the nwar future I will get round to putting my historic boat photos on the web, prob. starting with the GUCC boats.

Tim

Why are you so sure it's not Cambourne???

Because I think I've seen the pictured boat several times.

I don't recall if it has a name actually on it, or just on the licence, but I know I have seen a name.

If that name had been Cambourne, I'm totally confident I would remember, as it's a boat I remember very clearly indeed.

I can understand why you are asking though - most, if not all, of the others are accounted for!

What's worse this thread....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;hl=cambourne

says Cambourne was for sale, unconverted, in Oct 2005, in Aylesbury. That wouldn't be inconsistent with a full length cabin on her, and being fitted out about 6 months later.

I have to concede I may be cracking up, and it could be Cambourne.

Whatever is, I think we saw it somewhere between Cow Roast & Bull's Bridge a few weeks ago. Bu**ered if I can remember where, though!

3 don't know, at the moment but that cabin door decoration is ringing bells.

4 Can't see a 4, Alan??

Sorry, I meant Number 3, not number 4.

Sure I saw it recently.....

Well, just to make sure, I cycled down to where "Number 7" was "continuously cruising" for many months a year or two back.

As I suspected, it's not there now. (I'm sure we saw it somewhere south of Hemel a couple of weeks ago).

In the absence of any other evidence I think Cambourne has to be the best suggestion, even though I had convinced myself it couldn't be. :lol::lol:

I've been through the list again, and can see no other possibility.

So I think that's all of them accounted for apart from No 4 labelled Uxbridge to Little Venice.

Is it moored on the offside above Cowley Lock?

There are/were two wooden motor boats moored along there - Umea (which it is not) and the little-known Dane.

Dane is an ex-Mersey Weaver boat which was known in the 70s as Bream when Pete Thompson had it. It has been heavily restored (by who?) but I thought was converted. It should not be confused with Thomas Clayton's Dane which moors at Langley Mill.

I think I'm right but perhaps Mr Baldock could confirm?

Paul

So I think that's all of them accounted for apart from No 4 labelled Uxbridge to Little Venice.

You've done the same as me! No number 4 - assume you mean number 3....

I don't think I've seen 12 mentioned ?

Can anybody positively identify 7 ? I'm sure it's now living somewhere south of Hemel.

Dane is an ex-Mersey Weaver boat which was known in the 70s as Bream when Pete Thompson had it. It has been heavily restored (by who?) but I thought was converted. It should not be confused with Thomas Clayton's Dane which moors at Langley Mill.

Is there evidence of cabin frames, behind the alfresco kitchen, on boat 3? That would point to a cabin extension, if not a full conversion.

You've done the same as me! No number 4 - assume you mean number 3....

I don't think I've seen 12 mentioned ?

Can anybody positively identify 7 ? I'm sure it's now living somewhere south of Hemel.

OK sorry - no 3

No 12 is the same pair as No 8. Aquila and Bingley owned by Steve Priest, renowned boat builder and restorer.

As for No 7 - you'll obviously have to get your bike out again if you're ever going to sleep properly again! But I too think its Cambourne - on the basis that it is not any of the others. Caldy and Carnaby have been cut down and this one looks full length.

Paul H

But I too think its Cambourne - on the basis that it is not any of the others. Caldy and Carnaby have been cut down and this one looks full length.

Fully acknowleding my original gaffe, I totally agree it can not possibly be with Caldy or Carnaby. (Do BW still own the latter ?.....)

On the grounds of so other possible candidate, it must, I guess, be Cambourne.

I'm amazed I don't remember that as being the name I saw on it though. I must be more than a bit senile.

It always seems to me a shame that the thing most likely to be missing from an interesting boat is it's name. So many I have passed, and no idea what I'm looking at!

It always seems to me a shame that the thing most likely to be missing from an interesting boat is it's name. So many I have passed, and no idea what I'm looking at!

If everyone put a name on their boat it would make this incredibly entertaining thread just a little more drab.

"Can anyone identify this boat?"

"Yes it's written on the side!"