Reversing

goldtone

Featured Posts

One way to remember all this; Think of using a starting handle on a car, it engages directly with the 'front' of the cranksaft, i.e. the opposite end to the gearbox, the handle would always be rotated clockwise or right handed looking at the top of the handle..

Since nothing designed in the last 40+ years had had a starting handle, you'd need to be either a classic car enthusiast or in your dotage to have used one...... :lol:

Just very briefly going back onto the topic.. One or two people have suggested that one way out of the dilemma of left/right hand props is for example to use a L/H prop and run it the 'wrong way' by using an appropriate gearbox.. In theory though perhaps not in practise a propeller is designed to give maximum efficiency in one particular direction with the reverse function being an occasional extra..

As I mentioned on another thread there are many types of props. for example those produced for speed-boats that will barely function at all in the reverse direction..

So be very wary of running a prop marked L/H in a clockwise direction & v,v.

My first car was a sidevalve, Ford 100E van, complete with starting handle.

Just very briefly going back onto the topic.. One or two people have suggested that one way out of the dilemma of left/right hand props is for example to use a L/H prop and run it the 'wrong way' by using an appropriate gearbox.. In theory though perhaps not in practise a propeller is designed to give maximum efficiency in one particular direction with the reverse function being an occasional extra..

As I mentioned on another thread there are many types of props. for example those produced for speed-boats that will barely function at all in the reverse direction..

So be very wary of running a prop marked L/H in a clockwise direction & v,v.

If you run a LH prop in a clockwise direction, you will be pushing the boat backwards. No way out of that except by putting the prop on the front.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Wasn't that just a re badged obsolete Fiat design from the 1960's.....

Niel, wasn't that the *Riva*? Based on a polski fiat, I'll stand correcting.

AFAIK the Niva was the four wheel drive version, an even bigger load of junk. Remember testing one on it's first mot, at three years. The top steering column bracket had completely fatigued thro'........it didn't pass :lol:

Whoops, soz, :lol:

Edited by PistonBroke

Has anyone heard about this new type of prop? Apparently it makes reversing much easier.....

So does a tyre on a rope chucked over t'front end. :lol:

Back to Lada's , have had loads and I loved them. Yes old Fiat technology,and the round headlight ones (Combi's) had a starting handle (they needed them in Siberia). Surprised about the steering on the 4X4 one, I had mates with Niva's for years and they were solid. Wouldn't swap me Shogun for one though.

I just can't seem to get the boat to go where I want it to in reverse. It's not that I have to reverse very often, but for example, out cruising a few weeks back on a windy day, I wanted to reverse as the wind was bringing me too close to the lock gates before they had been opened. The boat didn't respond at all and luckily there were no other boats around for me to bash into, or embarrass myself in front of!

So is there a knack to reversing? Even in wind free conditions no matter where i put the tiller it makes no difference as to where the boat goes.

And in your replies please bear in mind: I'm new to boating and not being at all scientifically minded technical terms will be lost on me!

You need to try an Axiom reversing second to none.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Since nothing designed in the last 40+ years had had a starting handle, you'd need to be either a classic car enthusiast or in your dotage to have used one...... :lol:

Not quite true - early Landrover 90-110's had starting handle holes I belive, which would be mid 1980's.

Certainly the last Series III's did in 1986.

Yours, used to own a 1954 rover P4, and currently owns a 1967 SIIA, and a 1972 SIIA/SIII Bitsa... plus a 1981 Reliant that really needs a starting handle, and hasn't got one... I had to bump start the little beggar this morning, as the alternator packed up yesterday.

:lol:

Not quite true - early Landrover 90-110's had starting handle holes I belive, which would be mid 1980's.

Certainly the last Series III's did in 1986.

Yours, used to own a 1954 rover P4, and currently owns a 1967 SIIA, and a 1972 SIIA/SIII Bitsa... plus a 1981 Reliant that really needs a starting handle, and hasn't got one... I had to bump start the little beggar this morning, as the alternator packed up yesterday.

My series III had a starting handle for its V8 Rover engine.......and boy what a an engine.

Prior to that my only ever car to have a starting handle was an old Austin Cambridge...had to use it regularly in the winter months with the aid of a parafin heater under the sump.

The last couple of times ive used a starting handle on boats have been for 2 pot and 1 pot listers....both of which were fitted as gennie's.....they were both clockwise cranking with the handle.

• 3 months later...
The last couple of times ive used a starting handle on boats have been for 2 pot and 1 pot listers....both of which were fitted as gennie's.....they were both clockwise cranking with the handle.

With the handle fitted to the camshaft?

Edited by PhilR

I part-owned the Dunstons-built Humber Keel 'Beecliffe' for quite a number of years, travelled thousands of miles on continental waterways with her.

Also worked for four years as engineer on the Dunstons-built VIC 32.

Tim

Hi Tim, excuses for only replying now, but I was reading this tread a bit late. I met "Beecliffe" for the first time in the early seventies, when they tied up in Amsterdam, she was owned by 2 couples that saved her from the scrap yard, and she had an old Lister 3 cyl. At that time she wasn't fitted-out yet, and only the boatman quarters supplied them with their accommodation. I met the barge again in the early 80ties on the canal du Midi, with a Gardner that had replaced the old Lister. I happen to know and occasionally see an other ex-part-owner of her named Robert Whitaker. Also I'm a great lover of "VIC 32", and am very happy she's cruising again, with her new boiler. We used to have a TID tug at the boatyard in France named "Ernest Brown", and is tied-up (or impounded) somewhere at the French West coast.

Cheers, Peter.

Incidentally - off topic still! - I've a 1pot hand crank 5kva Petter diesel genny needing attention for sale if anyone's interested.

• 3 months later...

One thing to note also is that the water being pushed along the side of the boat has an influence on the direction. If you're not in the middle then your bows will be pushed away from the nearest bank (This phenomenon can be used to push the bows out from the bank when starting of in a forwards direction, a blast of reverse will set the bows moving away from the bank. I still find it easier to walk 50ft, push with one finger and then walk all the way back).

The shape of a boat affects how it will steer, both forwards and in reverse. The more 'pointy' the underwater profile to more it likes to travel in straight lines.

I once saw a working boat reverse from Stoke Bruerne top lock to the winding hole by the tunnel. It's narrow, with moored boats on one side and round a bend. When I congratulated the steerer on his skill he shrugged and said: "It steers in reverse this one."

Could so called paddlewheel effect be exaggerated by another force? When a single prop aeroplane's throttle is opened or closed the aircraft will yaw to the right or left, caused by the prop helix hitting the side of the rudder. Could this be happening with a narrow boat? in forward the helix would hit the side of the rudder, easily compesated for. In reverse it would hit the side of the swim.

Edited by nb Innisfree