What's in a name?

maffi mushkila

Featured Posts

Looking around the sites on the web I see a wide array of strange names on boats.

Some are obvious, an amalgamation of two peoples names 'Jentom' and the like. I know about Per Angusta.

What did you call your boat and why?

Mine, eventualy, will be the Maffi Mushkila. Arabic for 'No Problem'

Would any one like to guess where Tructors offi came from? (its second on my list)

In my youth I worked on a hire fleet and in those days the fleet went by the name the Gay line and most of the boats names started with the term Gay and a ladies name followed. There is no way one could use than name now its common meaning has changed.

I always told my wife that one day I would own a hirefleet and as our name is Brooks it would be called the B Line with all the boats being given a family first name and ending in B.

When I was about 55 and much more realistic we bough our first proper boat so I kept my promise to my wife and named it after her - JennyB - the first and almost certainly the last boat of the B Line.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Is this a record - reviving a thread after five and a half years' dormancy?

Tim

Didn't clock that - but did wonder about some of the user names, some of whom seemed less familiar than the current ones who post....

and no bleedin aggro either

My mums boat is called TOPS so when we bought ours I wanted to call it SPOT but my mum and my husband thought it funny to bring back my chidhood nick name ZEEB, now everybody calls me Zeeb :lol: . I kind of got my own way when I got a little boat to go between the two boats and called it ZIT :lol: (its got a red hull and a white deck!!!!)

My mums boat is called TOPS so when we bought ours I wanted to call it SPOT but my mum and my husband thought it funny to bring back my chidhood nick name ZEEB, now everybody calls me Zeeb :lol: . I kind of got my own way when I got a little boat to go between the two boats and called it ZIT :lol: (its got a red hull and a white deck!!!!)

We'll keep an eye out to see if we can spot it.... :lol:

The only part of my "boat" I have got is the name. If we decide upon a new build in the future we will name her "Somewhere", why I hear you ask, after the song with these lyrics:

There's a place for us,

Somewhere a place for us.

Peace and quiet and open air

Wait for us

Somewhere.

There's a time for us,

Some day a time for us,

Time together with time spare,

Time to learn, time to care,

Some day!

Somewhere.

We'll find a new way of living,

We'll find a way of forgiving

Somewhere . . .

There's a place for us,

A time and place for us.

Hold my hand and we're halfway there.

Hold my hand and I'll take you there

Somehow,

Some day,

Somewhere!

Just got to get the rest of it now. :lol:

Edited by Dyad

Well, like a few others I'll be buying mine with money left in my father's will, thought about naming it in some way after him, he had no interest in boating and was frightened of water although his surname was SHIPP so that gives a whole heap of possibilities! :lol:

I named my first boat Longford (used to be called Kiomi, eugh!) after the birth place of my Grandad (Ireland), and my Dad's playground when he was younger (Gloucester) and, funnily enough was the name of the road where my Mums parents lived.

Ariel was Ariel and is still Ariel, it goes back a few years so wouldn't change it.... even if I did have something in mind.

Egretta is a genus of medium-sized heron. It is the name chosen by the boat's first owner and is one we are quite happy to keep. It's also the only Egretta in Jim Shead's list. I'm glad we don't want to change it becaue choosing a name I would be content with would be difficult. I see a lot of boat names I really like and I see even more that I don't. We passed a nice looking narrowboat last weekend called All Day Breakfast.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Its nice to hear some very good names and with good reasons, any more?

Squeers? I wont go there. I'll wait till tomorrow

Dontcha just hate houses called Dunroamin, Dunfixin, Dunpayin, Duneverythin. Dun...............

I can say that coz mine is called DS Al Coda. Those of you with a smattering of latin may losely understand "back to the begining". Although the name board says Das Al Coda</span>

Dal segno al coda (It.)

from the sign to the coda (the final passage or musical conclusion).

Don't try to fool me with your musical terms (eg con brio = with cheese).

Our boat is so-called because my late father-in-law started a tradition of naming boats after aquatic birds. Osprey was one, Egret another. The next boat (if there ever is one) would be Phalarope.

Just renamed our boat Québec (previously known as Kestrel). OH is Canadian from Montreal. After a whirlwind romance we married in Montreal and honeymooned in Québec City, both in Québec. Not sure if it's a unique nb name...but that doesn't really matter. Vive le Québec libre!

My first named boat was (and is, I still own it, 34 years later) called after my mother, Lady Pat.

My second boat was called 'Jammy Dodger' when I got it and it remained so as it was small (15ft) and red and white I presume, seemed to suite it (best fun boat ever that one!!).

Next, I bought 'Winds light to Variable' presumabley named after a famous 'Goons' sketch apparently, but after a run of bad luck it had had with the previous owner I changed it to 'Lo-Max' which is an old family name of mine. (the luck improved too, it went everywhere with us with never a breakdown).

Then I bought 'Pip' which was only 16ft and was named after the previous owner's grandson (he's now about 20 something) but kept it as it suited it perfectly.

My wife then bought our next boat which was called 'Morning Mist' but we had loads of bad luck with it so we changed it to 'Somerwarrior' which is Gaelic for my surname, but the bad luck continued so we sold it. (don't think the bad luck had anything to do with the boat, it was just a bad time for us).

I currently still have 'Lady Pat', and also another boat called 'The Lomax' as when I had 'Lo-Max' on the VHF it was always easier to use the name 'The Lomax' as people could never grasp 'Lo-Max' very well on the VHF, so my latest acquisition I have named 'The Lo-Max' for that reason. 'Lo-Max' always gave us good times so superstitiously hopefully this boat will too (we only bought her in September)

I also have an inflatable called 'Lo-Max Too' for obvious reasons.

Not clever, but each name has it's own reasons.

Just renamed our boat Québec (previously known as Kestrel). OH is Canadian from Montreal. After a whirlwind romance we married in Montreal and honeymooned in Québec City, both in Québec. Not sure if it's a unique nb name...but that doesn't really matter. Vive le Québec libre!

I spent some time in Montreal in my youth living on Rue Cherrier (sp?) - great city.

Spent a night also in the luxurious Chateau Frontenac Hotel in Quebec City - in the car park in the back of an old Volvo!

While building Achilles it was called various names, some four letter ones too. Being a W. Stannier fan we went through the list of Jubilee class loco's and LMS 5697 Achilles just sounded right and desided the colour.

Dove was named by it's first owner and after being Swan then Britannia, it's now back to Dove.

Andrew

I think Quebec is a great name, it has gravitas and I think that's what I would look for in a name.

I spent some time in Montreal in my youth living on Rue Cherrier (sp?) - great city.

Spent a night also in the luxurious Chateau Frontenac Hotel in Quebec City - in the car park in the back of an old Volvo!

Montreal, home of The Arcade Fire. It's about time they released some more material.

Edited by journeyperson

While building Achilles it was called various names, some four letter ones too. Being a W. Stannier fan we went through the list of Jubilee class loco's and LMS 5697 Achilles just sounded right and desided the colour.

Dove was named by it's first owner and after being Swan then Britannia, it's now back to Dove.

Andrew

The Waterbus Britannia... How she has changed, unusually these days its for the better :lol:

Two of my former narrow boats were named after WW1 battle cruisers. nb TIGER and nb INFLEXIBLE.

There seems to be a lot of narrow boats named after battleships, I rather like the idea. I also have a dinghy called 'Indomitable' :lol:

"Rallentando" is an Italian musical term meaning slowing down gradually. There are several others on the system, but it's especially relevant to us since I own a music shop and I am approaching that certain age!

David