displaying boat name

philandiz

Featured Posts

Is there minimum size requirement to the name of your boat. I have been told that the index no. and name must be visible, but what size name can we get away with?

thanks...

I'm sure nobody on the canals will complain - there are a lot boats without any name at all!

Tidal waters and some rivers are different. I think the PLA would probably give the owner of a boat without a legible name a bollocking on the tidal Thames, but I've no idea what the rules are on font size?

Edited by blackrose

Is there minimum size requirement to the name of your boat. I have been told that the index no. and name must be visible, but what size name can we get away with?

thanks...

Niggling Nixie is ok at any size but Princess or Prinnie should be very small at the moment considering the conspiracy theories from the dodgy Egyptian :angry:

When we had Thistle but it wasn't written on the side, they wouldn't let us on the upper Thames even though we had one growing in a flowerpot on the roof. We had to get the kids to crayon a nameboard on cardboard.

When we had Thistle but it wasn't written on the side, they wouldn't let us on the upper Thames even though we had one growing in a flowerpot on the roof. We had to get the kids to crayon a nameboard on cardboard.

Hey............. full time employment for Nobber there........

making temporary name plates for boats entering restricted waterways

Numbers for canals, names for rivers

Or more specifically, on BW waters you need a number, the plates are supplied. On EA waters it is all done by name. That is why on a canal you may see several boats with the same name, but on rivers you see MyBoat I and MyBoat II and MyBoat III etc

Numbers for canals, names for rivers

Or more specifically, on BW waters you need a number, the plates are supplied. On EA waters it is all done by name. That is why on a canal you may see several boats with the same name, but on rivers you see MyBoat I and MyBoat II and MyBoat III etc

Manchester ship canal is names too. It was quite amusing to hear our MSC pilot calling in "Eastham, this is Tawny Owl"

Richard

BW pulication "Private Pleasure Bot Long Term Licences" Page 5 section 4.1 "You must display the Boat's name, and Licence and Boat index number on both sides of the Boat so that they arealways easily visible by our people on the towpath." In the 'additional info it states "If the Boat is covered (e.g. during winter), you should paint or display the Boat's index number in some other way so that it can always be seen." Nothing about letter size but I think if it was too small you might contravine "clearly visible"

P

On the river Thames the rules quoted on the application form say:

"There is a definite legal requirement that every launch shall bear the registered name (as it will appear on the

‘Thames’ registration certificate) on each side of the bow and on the stern in plain letters and figures in the

following minimum sizes:

• 2" (5.1cm) for a launch not more than 20' (6.09m) long.

• 3" (7.6cm) for a launch between 20' (6.09m) and 30' (9.14m) long.

• 4" (10.2cm) for a launch between 30' (9.14m) and 50' (15.23m) long.

• 6" (15.2cm) for a launch exceeding 50' (15.23m)."

I went to great pains to write the name of my boat on the BOW went I went for a trip along the Thames, it really messed up my paintwork. However, I did it. You can imagine my annoyance when my neighbour who has an entirely black boat with no name at all also went cruising that weekend and wasn't stopped.

I now have the name of my boat on some faded paper in the window of each side of the boat. One day I will get the sign writing done, but until then that is how it will be. There are many boats in a similar situation.

On the river Thames the rules quoted on the application form say:

"There is a definite legal requirement that every launch shall bear the registered name (as it will appear on the

‘Thames’ registration certificate) on each side of the bow and on the stern in plain letters and figures in the

following minimum sizes:

• 2" (5.1cm) for a launch not more than 20' (6.09m) long.

• 3" (7.6cm) for a launch between 20' (6.09m) and 30' (9.14m) long.

• 4" (10.2cm) for a launch between 30' (9.14m) and 50' (15.23m) long.

• 6" (15.2cm) for a launch exceeding 50' (15.23m)."

And this is an extract from the application form for the Witham Navigable Drains:

All boat names must be displayed on both sides of the craft within 2.37 metres forward of the transom in Baskerville Monotype 160pt.

More information can be found on http://www.bovineexcrement.com :angry:

I went to great pains to write the name of my boat on the BOW went I went for a trip along the Thames, it really messed up my paintwork. However, I did it. You can imagine my annoyance when my neighbour who has an entirely black boat with no name at all also went cruising that weekend and wasn't stopped.

I now have the name of my boat on some faded paper in the window of each side of the boat. One day I will get the sign writing done, but until then that is how it will be. There are many boats in a similar situation.

I got magnetic "vehicle" signs made up for JennyB that live under the mattress when on the canals. At Oxford I just put one either side of the bow and one on the Gas locker at the stern (actually the stern one is at the bottom of the Kennet and has been for the last two Thames visits but the lockies seem happy with the two bow names and the BW number.

I must say that 6" letters look far too large for narrow boats, its the same size as Salter's Steamers have to use!

Just had a thought. Since BW give the Boat index number plates then that size if type must be OK (not at the boat so cant measure it).

P

Edited so it made sense.

Edited by pwl

It's our intention (when we get one of those circular things) to have the boat name and number etched on the hopper windows (one each side), thus doing away with the BW registration plates and and painted-on names.

The lettering will be as small as we think we can get away with.

Ian

"You must display the Boat's name, and Licence and Boat index number on both sides of the Boat so that they arealways easily visible by our people on the towpath

Quite how they expect to see it past a clothed up butty moored on the inside i have no idea.

mind you, they wouldn't see the number or name plates anyway since the other half took them out of the window for spring cleaning :wacko: , put them in a box, and then took the flippin box to the MIL storage facility B)

Still, if they risk the slippery wooden gunnels they can read the licence disk, or just record/look up the butty.

simon.

The Manchester Ship Canal Company [alias Peel Holdings], who own/control the Bridgewater Canal, state that:-

The name and number of the craft must be clearly exhibited on each side so as to be distinctly legible at all times.

They don't specify at what distance it must be legible.