CRT funding campaign

Featured Posts

I can only wish them well. 

These are difficult times where appeals to politicians may fall on stony ground, however. When CRT was set up there was an element for them to find funds from a variety of sources and not rely on a grant. Our current political warlords have a different agenda as to where they distribute cash!

• Greenie 1

I reckon that if this bunch of cowboys that are running this country cannot fund things like the NHS etc I hardly think they are going to lash out funds for the waterways. I also do not think that whoever takes over from them will do any better. I believe that the canals, at least, would have been sold off to developers a long time ago it it wasn't for the thousands who are living on the canals who cannot just be chucked off because there is nowhere for them to go although having said that this bunch of cowboys don't seem to have any trouble housing umpteen thousand illegal immigrants. 

I don't think it is illegal to aply for asylum, but my understanding is that they must apply for it in the 1st safe country they get to.

So, the asylum seekers that 'land' in Turkey, Greece or Italy should not be working their way all thru Europe then get in a rubber boat in France and come to the UK and then apply.

The 100 asylum seekers on the news last night were from Vietnam - how had they got onto a French Beach without travelling thru a 'safe' country - and - Vietnam is not an unsafe country anyway so one presumes that if they are not in fear of their life, they must be economic migrants.

The French authorities stood on the beach watching them get in the boat - a BBC film crew asked them why they had not done what Britain was paying them to do and they replied "we are not allowed to enter the water, so as soon as they are standing in the water we can take no action", when asked why they didn't stop them in the sand dunes or on the beach, they replied "they had sticks and they threatened us so we could have been injured".

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think it is illegal to aply for asylum, but my understanding is that they must apply for it in the 1st safe country they get to.

So, the asylum seekers that 'land' in Turkey, Greece or Italy should not be working their way all thru Europe then get in a rubber boat in France and come to the UK and then apply.

The 100 asylum seekers on the news last night were from Vietnam - how had they got onto a French Beach without travelling thru a 'safe' country - and - Vietnam is not an unsafe country anyway so one presumes that if they are not in fear of their life, they must be economic migrants.

The French authorities stood on the beach watching them get in the boat - a BBC film crew asked them why they had not done what Britain was paying them to do and they replied "we are not allowed to enter the water, so as soon as they are standing in the water we can take no action", when asked why they didn't stop them in the sand dunes or on the beach, they replied "they had sticks and they threatened us so we could have been injured".

Regardless of what you think asylum seekers *should* do, the reality is that there are two main reasons so many want to come to the UK, as disclosed by recent interviews with actual asylum seekers in France/UK as opposed to talking heads.

The first is that many already have family or friends here, but the bigger reason is that English is by far the most common second language for them (a global success for the UK!!!) and they'd much rather come to a country where this is the first language than one where it is French or Italian or Turkish or Greek, because they can already speak it and it's much easier for them to live and get work as a result.

No amount of "keep-out" notices or "we-will-deport-you-to-Rwanda" warnings is going to change this, especially the second reason, and for this reason such refugees/asylum seekers/boat people/[insert label of choice] are going to continue to want to come to the UK in preference to other European countries.

The only way to stop this is to somehow magically prevent schools all over the world teaching English, or for us to all start speaking Welsh... 😉 

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

>> The only way to stop this is to somehow magically prevent schools all over the world teaching English, or for us to all start speaking Welsh... 😉 

**Ahem** 

Or Gaelic!

Meanwhile back on topic, how much is Rish!'s much-trumpeted increase in defence spending going to cost? How far would that go if it were invested in inland waterways? Would anyone like to do the calculation?

29 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

**Ahem** 

Or Gaelic!

Meanwhile back on topic, how much is Rish!'s much-trumpeted increase in defence spending going to cost? How far would that go if it were invested in inland waterways? Would anyone like to do the calculation?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68880171

Downing Street says spending would increase gradually over the next six years, reaching £87.1bn by 2030 - £7bn higher than if spending stayed at its current level of 2.3% of GDP.

That 0.2% of GDP increase -- not the total! -- is about 30x higher than CART's annual budget.

If they'd increased it by 0.197% instead of 0.2%, that would have paid for a 50% increase in the total CART budget, probably enough to make all their maintainance/funding problems disappear... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do we want to prevent WW3, or do we want to have a longtitudinal waterpark ?

It's (surely) a no-brainer.

If you think the UK can do anything whatsoever to prevent wars, especially after doing its best to bust a local alliance, declaring its willingness to break international law and its opposition to any general definition of human rights, you really need help.

We'd be a lot better off having a nice well kept water park to play on while the rest of the fools play games.

• Greenie 3