Working full time while aboard

Featured Posts

Hello me and my partner are moving onto our boat next month and I just wanted to know if anyone else on here works full time and what they do about there address. 

im unsure if we have to have a address to work or not if so we can put our address at one of our family’s homes, or can I just keep it as we don’t have a address 

10 minutes ago, TheBeesKnees said:

Hello me and my partner are moving onto our boat next month and I just wanted to know if anyone else on here works full time and what they do about there address. 

im unsure if we have to have a address to work or not if so we can put our address at one of our family’s homes, or can I just keep it as we don’t have a address 

If you are living in a Marina on a residential mooring you will have an address which you can use for all mail.

If you are living in a Marina on a 'leisure' mooring (Non-Residential) you will not have an address which you can legally use.

If you have no mooring and are CCing (Continuoulsy Cruising) you will not have an address which you can legally use.

In the latter two situations you can sign up and use a company such as 'Boat Mail' to open your letters, scan them and email to you, or save them up for you to collect. Alternatively you can use a relatives address but if they are 'single' and receiving a council tax rebate for single person usage then you will affect their status and claim.

Mail Forwarding Mail Scanning Redirection Free UK Street Address (boatmail.co.uk)

Our mail service options include.:

• Forwarding your mail to your nominated address here in the UK or anywhere in the world. Individual mail items can be forwarded immediately upon receipt or items held, bundled together and forwarded on a weekly, monthly or bi-monthly basis. (Please note that individual items can only be held for a maximum period of 60 days from receipt).
  • Scanning of received correspondence mail and forwarding as an e-mail attachment (PDF) to your registered email address.
  • Holding your mail securely until it is requested, for a maximum period of 60 days from receipt of items.

Other services available include:

• Printing and forwarding letters on your behalf.
  • Paying in cheques when received by boatmail.co.uk  as part of your post handling.
Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you have no mooring and are CCing (Continuoulsy Cruising) you will not have an address which you can legally use.

not so sure about that,

last two full time jobs I’ve had employers have readily accepted family address, an address no where near the county of work,

the important one is the correct Bank details and address so you get paid on time,

32 minutes ago, TheBeesKnees said:

talk it over with your employer, tell them what you’re up to, 

• Greenie 1

My employers (I'm full time WFH on a boat) have always just accepted whatever address I gave them.

They didn't even question whose home it was, despite knowing I'm a continuous cruiser with 'no fixed abode'.

I've used friends and family addresses in the past with no issue.

Edited by Unicorn Stampede
Autocorrect is the bane of my internet posting!
  • Greenie 1

I use my friends address. Management at my winter job are aware I’m of NFA and are not phased by it at all, I think they just want someone to turn up on time and gets on with working with minimal drama.

Before moving onto a boat, sort out bank account, credit cards, insurances, Premium Bonds, driving licences, V5 documents, etc. etc.  as it is far easier to do with an address, difficult without one.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

not so sure about that,

last two full time jobs I’ve had employers have readily accepted family address, an address no where near the county of work,

the important one is the correct Bank details and address so you get paid on time,

I poorly presented what I wanted to say - I meant that, unlike having a boat in a residential berth, you CANNOT use the boat as your address, hence the option to use Boat mail, or a relatives address.

I use my daughter's address with no problem, it doesn't affect any benefit she may claim as I don't live there. I even stay there sometimes, many boaters use a relative's address without any problem. It is a family matter.

20 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I use my daughter's address with no problem, it doesn't affect any benefit she may claim as I don't live there. I even stay there sometimes, many boaters use a relative's address without any problem. It is a family matter.

There have been a number of posters, whose family member, have actually been affected by this.

One of the criteria that the Councils use to determine if it is your main residence is ..................

• Address Usage: The address used for bills, doctor’s registration, car registration, etc., matters.

18 hours ago, TheBeesKnees said:

Regardless of an address have you worked out how two of you are actually going to work full time on a boat, power, internet, physical deliveries etc.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Regardless of an address have you worked out how two of you are actually going to work full time on a boat, power, internet, physical deliveries etc.

From what he has previously said I doubt that they are working from/on the boat ................

So I’m not thinking it will we are in a nice place just keep seeing posts on fb groups about stolen boats so my misses gets worried as we both work full time so we are away 12-13 hours a day. 

Unless he has a home mooring, I'd suggest that in addition to power generation and water suppy his problem may be moving suficiently to retain his licence.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless he has a home mooring, I'd suggest that in addition to power generation and water suppy his problem may be moving suficiently to retain his licence.

In terms of moving, they'd likely just shift every other weekend? That fixes the water issue as well.

1 hour ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

In terms of moving, they'd likely just shift every other weekend? That fixes the water issue as well.

OP does not say if they are working while on the boat or onshore while living on the boat.

They might have a marina berth with facilities in mind.

I cant see a problem moving the boat to satisfy the CRT. There will always be people who set out to dodge every restriction, but we cant assume that OP fits that category.

Im sitting on a 48 hour mooring, The adjacent boat has that particular look of permanence. 

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OP does not say if they are working on the boat or from the boat.

I think he does - they will be away from the boat "working 12-13 hours per day"

So I’m not thinking it will we are in a nice place just keep seeing posts on fb groups about stolen boats so my misses gets worried as we both work full time so we are away 12-13 hours a day. 

Missus works full time WFH, and I used to when we moved aboard. We use my parents address for correspondence and employment stuff (BUPA, HMRC, etc) but in reality only really get any post every few months. Most stuff is online these days which means the only thing we really rely on is an internet connection. Deliveries and stuff, including medication, we use post restante to varying success (the more ‘boaty’ a town, the higher chance the post office will have any idea what PR is), as well as Amazon and DPD collection points.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorta like A to B to A to B ............ (the waterpoint and back)

Due to my partner working in Manchester (even with me WFH) we are continuous cruisers who do the northern circuit (or whatever it's called) each year without issue of water or moving the car around. Just means you occasionally have longer days.

To clarify northern circuit, Rochdale > Leeds and Liverpool > Calder & Hebble (or the opposite way if feeling fruity)

We aren't anything special in what we do, so can't see why others couldn't do it. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Google will usually tell you what a TLA means. 

Welcome to The Littlehampton Academy

The Littlehampton Academy is an 11 18 mixed, Christian, secondary school and sixth form with academy status in Littlehampton, West Sussex, England.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Welcome to The Littlehampton Academy

The Littlehampton Academy is an 11 18 mixed, Christian, secondary school and sixth form with academy status in Littlehampton, West Sussex, England.

Oh you spoiled the joke!