CRT

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

About a year ago, and after years of it being mentioned, I contacted CRT to simply put my wife’s name, with mine, on the ownership of Nightwatch. Just in case I kicked the bucket and there was a dispute of ownership. Peace of mind etc.

We have owned boats since 2002 and Nightwatch since 2005.  Anyway, not just adding Margaret’s name to the ownership CRT thinks/acts and treats us as new owners. Even sending welcome notes and boating rules regs etc. 

It’s a bit hurtful but I’m such a sensitive character. I just thought they may have a system in place to recognise many years of ‘membership’.

An observation that’s all.

29 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

About a year ago, and after years of it being mentioned, I contacted CRT to simply put my wife’s name, with mine, on the ownership of Nightwatch. Just in case I kicked the bucket and there was a dispute of ownership. Peace of mind etc.

We have owned boats since 2002 and Nightwatch since 2005.  Anyway, not just adding Margaret’s name to the ownership CRT thinks/acts and treats us as new owners. Even sending welcome notes and boating rules regs etc. 

It’s a bit hurtful but I’m such a sensitive character. I just thought they may have a system in place to recognise many years of ‘membership’.

Have they cancelled your licence and told the new owners to buy a new one, losing you both a month?

• Horror 1

I  wouldn't  say your wife's nor your name being on C&RT records would be proof of ownership of the boat  but it might help . I expect formal documents are absent for many inland craft leaving little in the way of proof of ownership. Mind you most stuff we own we may not have retained proof and its not an issue in practice.

Presumably you have joint names on the boat  insurance.

The reaction from C&RT is not unreasonable given you have, as far as they are concerned, added a new joint owner.

I think it may be just me who pays the extortion money/license fee as far as C&RT are concerned but I have other documents to prove  my wife and I each own half shares in the boat.

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have they cancelled your licence and told the new owners to buy a new one, losing you both a month?

It was discussed. He had to enter or override to computer.

29 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Congratulations on Margaret's new purchase.......................😂

Don’t Dan!

• Haha 1

Have to say i never considered this, i did the licensing online as part of my "boat jobs list" that J wrote for me when we bought the boat so it's all in my name.

Despite that, i'm still told which side of the bed i'm allowed to sleep on (against the wall, obviously).

She's a ginger, i'm not going to argue with her :D 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Was that really neccessary? We had legally witnessed docments of purchase by both my wife and myself, which I am confident would have been recognised by any Court in the extreemly unlikely event of ownership being challenged. A boat being licenced jointly by two people is not in itself Legal proof of ownership by either of them.

23 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Was that really neccessary? We had legally witnessed docments of purchase by both my wife and myself, which I am confident would have been recognised by any Court in the extreemly unlikely event of ownership being challenged. A boat being licenced jointly by two people is not in itself Legal proof of ownership by either of them.

No but if the boat is in your name and you die your widow has to re licence it as a new owner

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No but if the boat is in your name and you die your widow has to re licence it as a new owner

Not really a problem. In those circumstances there is more than enough other stuff going on.

I certainly wouldn't suggest rushing to do anything  about it until the existing license was  in its last month. Then simply start a new licence in the surviving partners name from the 1st of the next month.  

Some years ago for a shared ownership boat we changed the named point of contact with BW, even though there had been no change of owners. BW sent new index plates. But we failed to notice that they had also changed the index number, so continued to display the old ones. A couple of years later a licence checker commented that the boat name and index number didn't match. On contacting the licencing people we were asked if there were two boats of the same length and same name on our home mooring, one of which had been unlicensed for 2 years...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Some years ago for a shared ownership boat we changed the named point of contact with BW, even though there had been no change of owners. BW sent new index plates. But we failed to notice that they had also changed the index number, so continued to display the old ones. A couple of years later a licence checker commented that the boat name and index number didn't match. On contacting the licencing people we were asked if there were two boats of the same length and same name on our home mooring, one of which had been unlicensed for 2 years...

Why would the index be changed  

When there is a change of owner  the index stays with the boat .

Maybe it was so long ago they did thing differently.

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm surprised they didn't charge you this new £30 admin fee for changes to licence details.

I reckon you slipped under the mat, there!

We did this over a year ago. I could I suppose send them £30 any way!!!

Edited by Nightwatch

On 26/02/2024 at 20:57, Momac said:

Why would the index be changed  

When there is a change of owner  the index stays with the boat .

Maybe it was so long ago they did thing differently.

That's what we thought. Which is why we never really looked at the new plates or realised the number was different.