Skipton to Manchester via Leeds

tjr1234

Featured Posts

Hi. New to all this apart from a holiday on the Shropie.

Just bought a NB in Skipton and want to go to Leeds then Manchester, heading off tomorrow. Going via the Rochdale.

Looks like some of this journey is on a river. Will I have trouble with water levels and flow? Where do I find this information? Also I need a spike??

Thank you

Hi, see the link below. Lots of water coming off the land and even more forecast, flood locks closed quite regular, was at Leeds last week, Lock on red closed. As I say check this link to find info. Yes you will need a C&H spike for some if the locks. Seeking local knowledge to find what’s happening is your best bet as more up to date info obviously. 
  Also check the booking and opening times of the Bingley 5 rise and 3 rise, as will be on Winter opening routine, link also below.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26584-bingley-3-and-5-rise-winter-booking-information

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked for stoppages on your proposed route?

River levels will depend on rainfall and snowfall thaw. This may affect some canals as well as the river Aire, particularly the east side of the Rochdale and the Calder & Hebble. Watch the weather forecast. Subscribe to CaRT stoppages notices, see the above link.

You will need a Calder and Hebble hand spike for your proposed route.

More info about the boat needed ie length, age, engine specs etc. Also, I think the Aire and Calder Navigation is closed at the moment due to a damaged lock. Winter is not a good time to move a boat given the number of stoppages and the possibility of flooding. Also your boat might be too long for the Calder and Hebble and the Rochdale.

Checkout Canal and River Trust website for more information.

If you enter the route into CanalplanAC it should tell you of any stoppages that would affect your trip -- not always 100% up to date, but much easier to understand where they are and why because you can see them on the planned route map and they come up as warnings in the route plan.

https://canalplan.uk/index.html

Edited by IanD

Does the boat absolutely have to go via Leeds? There is an every half hour train service from Skipton to Leeds, if just your presence is required there. Boating from Skipton to Manchester using the L&L and Bridgewater Canal may be possible stoppages wise and will be quicker and less flood prone than your proposed route. Also allows a bigger boat and no hand spike required

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Does the boat absolutely have to go via Leeds? There is an every half hour train service from Skipton to Leeds, if just your presence is required there. Boating from Skipton to Manchester using the L&L and Bridgewater Canal may be possible stoppages wise and will be quicker and less flood prone than your proposed route. Also allows a bigger boat and no hand spike required

This does sound like a better route.

50 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you enter the route into CanalplanAC it should tell you of any stoppages that would affect your trip -- not always 100% up to date, but much easier to understand where they are and why because you can see them on the planned route map and they come up as warnings in the route plan.

Looking at that and planning routes it looks like Huddersfield Canal stoppage/closed till March and the Rochdale Canal till further notice with an update Friday.

Maybe safest thing is find moorings at Skipton till further notice or go West route if open?

14 minutes ago, tjr1234 said:

Yes I need to go to Leeds and Manchester. Might have to go to Leeds and turn around by the looks of it. Might hang around Leeds for 2 weeks and then decide our next steps.

Was there last week there was ample space on the Armouries visitor moorings, the whole place looked quiet empty. As I say the lock outside was closed/red probably boats stuck Lemonroyd/Woodlesford way too. Not much moves this time of year as you’ll find out due to rain/flooding/planned maintenance stoppages.

On 06/02/2024 at 11:52, IanD said:

Yes, OP needs to enter his boat details 

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, OP needs to enter his boat details 

I’m using Open Canal Map a lot more to see stoppages. 
Easy at a glance map. 
Just move the map around to follow the route you want. Symbols for stoppages or restrictions are there to click on and see information of what’s going on. 

If you’ve not tried the app yet, I recommend it. 

25 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Easy at a glance map. 
Just move the map around to follow the route you want. Symbols for stoppages or restrictions are there to click on and see information of what’s going on. 

Yes I recommend both, also set up stoppages alerts on the CRT website.

There is also a fb group who assist through the 

(W) Rochdale Locks I believe, but probably seasonal.

• Greenie 1

I’ve not looked at Open Canal Map for a while, so found where it was squirrelled away on my phone and opened it, it’s stoppage accuracy is not endearing it to me if I’m honest, it’s showing four stoppages locally that are off in the countryside 🤷🏻‍♂️☹️

IMG_1669.png

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Easy at a glance map. 

I do that on the CRT map

49 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Well I never….

Didn't know they have a map,

only ever explored by ‘list’,

just had a look at the map and it’s good 👍

Its brilliant for footpaths many miles from canals too, though sometimes its not too easy to know where it connects. Tried to find a nice footpath that travelled over a bridge on the Oxford but there was no way onto the bridge from the towpath. (Not even climbing over stuff that shouldnt be done!) . Close up there is some sort of terrain view too but its a bit blurry.