Advice on survey report

blu

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

As we know the OP hasn’t posted all the survey. We got fully comp insurance agreed with a repeat survey in 10 years on the basis of the survey from 2 years ago. 

The hull readings seem OK. I think I would save the money on another survey and put it towards getting the boat epoxied. That assumes the OP really likes the boat 

We managed to get comprehensive insurance on the basis of the vendor's hull survey from a year before we bought. This was specifically because he had the hull surveyed to identify the necessary remedial work, then confirmation from the original surveyor that the work had been completed to the required standard and then used this to get comprehensive insurance. The insurance company agreed that if we re-insured with them, they could accept the survey for the remainder of their normal interval.

Personally, I would be wanting to pull that boat out and see whether the lower readings (4.2mm) were due to local pitting or general loss of section. Grit blasting prior to epoxy coating will uncover any pitting, so I would plan for welding up the pits if present. If it's due to loss of section that might get me questioning the ongoing cost of ownership as substantial work could be pulled up as a requirement with only a fairly minor additional loss, perhaps even when grit blasting.

Alec

• Greenie 2

Think I'm missing something. The boat was due to be lifted and surveyed today. The survey will now take place a little later in the week. The boat needs blacking/epoxying. If it were me I would get the boat out as planned and wait for the surveyor. Whether the OP ends up buying the boat or not they will likely be paying for the lifting, survey and relaunch. Or is this a case of the boat being owned by the marina with the lift out facilities who were offering to crane in and out for free? I would not think it wise for a newbie boater to skip getting a survey - despite the flaws we know them to have. Was the OP planning on getting the hill coating sorted at the marina?

I think it needs the OP to say whether hes going ahead with the craning/survey , he indicated it was at his cost and that he'd lose money if he didn't buy the boat.  I guess the marina/broker might have offered to do the craning as part of the boat sale on the assumption the sales goes ahead.  

if hes a complete newbie, with no boating experience then a survey might be helpful, especially if he can be there when its done. It constantly surprises me how many people come on here who are buying/bought a boat but have absolutely no boating experience not even a holiday....  accepting people have to start somewhere 🙂 

despite the varying opinions on here, if the survey he has seen is complete and recent and looks genuine (wouldn't be hard to ring the surveyor who did it and check)  and he is happy with the boat what will another survey tell him ? 

16 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think it needs the OP to say whether hes going ahead with the craning/survey , he indicated it was at his cost and that he'd lose money if he didn't buy the boat.  I guess the marina/broker might have offered to do the craning as part of the boat sale on the assumption the sales goes ahead.  

if hes a complete newbie, with no boating experience then a survey might be helpful, especially if he can be there when its done. It constantly surprises me how many people come on here who are buying/bought a boat but have absolutely no boating experience not even a holiday....  accepting people have to start somewhere 🙂 

despite the varying opinions on here, if the survey he has seen is complete and recent and looks genuine (wouldn't be hard to ring the surveyor who did it and check)  and he is happy with the boat what will another survey tell him ? 

Without reading back through the thread I’m pretty sure they’ve already said they’re definitely having it surveyed it’s just a matter of timing and they want opinions on the ‘recent’ survey that’s been provided which amongst the usual distractions a number  people have said looks fine, in their opinion, and taking it at face value.  Personally I’d have another one done. Money-wise it’s no different to the house buying process. You accept you may be paying out and still walking away without completing.  Difference with boats of course is you can’t see what’s under water.   Each to their own. Personally I don’t have houses surveyed when I buy them as I know what I’m looking at and it’s a waste of money to tell me less than I can see myself.  

Update and to clear some points as it seems people get confused with too much text.
1 - I was going to do a pre-purchase survey, one way or another. The question was if the details of the seller's survey seemed plausible for the boat to be worth paying an extra crane lifting. I got it is hard to tell so...
2 - I decided to do the extra crane lifting, instead of waiting for the end of February.
3 - The pre-purchase survey happened yesterday. I'm waiting for the full report.
4 - It seems that a lot more needs doing on the boat - as I was expecting - now it's a matter of me:
 a) deciding, after the full report, if I still want the boat
 b) if so, do some research on the costs of the extra work, put a new offer and see what happens.

Exciting week ahead!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, blu said:

Update and to clear some points as it seems people get confused with too much text.
1 - I was going to do a pre-purchase survey, one way or another. The question was if the details of the seller's survey seemed plausible for the boat to be worth paying an extra crane lifting. I got it is hard to tell so...
2 - I decided to do the extra crane lifting, instead of waiting for the end of February.
3 - The pre-purchase survey happened yesterday. I'm waiting for the full report.
4 - It seems that a lot more needs doing on the boat - as I was expecting - now it's a matter of me:
 b) if so, do some research on the costs of the extra work, put a new offer and see what happens.

Exciting week ahead!

Good luck

• Love 1

11 hours ago, blu said:

Exciting week ahead!

If it comes back showing that the boat requires overplating or replating and the vendor isn't prepared to reduce to price to cover those costs then don't have any qualms about walking away. Once you've started spending money on surveys and docking it's very tempting to keep going but it's often a mistake - one which I made myself 25 years ago.

The other thing is that overplating isn't without it's complications. If it's not done properly it can create its own problems. For example you only need a pinhole in the welding and when the boat goes back in the water you might have water between the old and new plates creating a corrosion trap, so ideally all the old thin plating should be cut out first (replating).

Also, extensive overplating will affect the way the boat sits in the water and ballast my need to be removed to compensate.

If you do get areas overplated or replated then the same thickness of steel should be used as the original hull. Don't listen to anyone who says the thickness of the hull will be old plate + new plate, it isn't. It's only the new plate that counts because the old plate was already too thin. 

But anyway, if the boat needs extensive replating the usual advice is to save yourself the hassle and walk away. Talk to your surveyor about the possibility of a discounted rate for the next survey.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

If it comes back showing that the boat requires overplating or replating and the vendor isn't prepared to reduce to price to cover those costs then don't have any qualms about walking away. Once you've started spending money on surveys and docking it's very tempting to keep going but it's often a mistake - one which I made myself 25 years ago.

The other thing is that overplating isn't without it's complications. If it's not done properly it can create its own problems. For example you only need a pinhole in the welding and when the boat goes back in the water you might have water between the old and new plates creating a corrosion trap, so ideally all the old thin plating should be cut out first (replating).

Also, extensive overplating will affect the way the boat sits in the water and ballast my need to be removed to compensate.

If you do get areas overplated or replated then the same thickness of steel should be used as the original hull. Don't listen to anyone who says the thickness of the hull will be old plate + new plate, it isn't. It's only the new plate that counts because the old plate was already too thin. 

But anyway, if the boat needs extensive replating the usual advice is to save yourself the hassle and walk away. Talk to your surveyor about the possibility of a discounted rate for the next survey.

However many times we read surveyors recommending overplating yet often boats just need pit welding then epoxy  which will do the job fine. 

The first survey did show reduced side depths though…. 

It must be difficult sometimes to completely assess the hull with crud blacking etc in the way. The readings a friends boat had was very different to what materialised after grit blasting. A few pits welded and job done. Surveyor and Insurence company all happy. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

However many times we read surveyors recommending overplating yet often boats just need pit welding then epoxy  which will do the job fine. 

The first survey did show reduced side depths though…. 

It must be difficult sometimes to completely assess the hull with crud blacking etc in the way. The readings a friends boat had was very different to what materialised after grit blasting. A few pits welded and job done. Surveyor and Insurence company all happy. 

We had pit welding and DIY epoxy last year just to staive off the requirement for overplating for a few more years. Hopefully the boat will out last us. 

Edited by rusty69

Some closure:

Unfortunately, I had to pull out of this boat and even sadder to the whole boat buying process for a while.

The boat - after the pre purchase survey - proved to be more of a project boat than the tidying/fixing it up I was expecting.

I have to move out by end of the month so no time for that.

I'll keep my eye and ears open, saving money to buy a better one in the mean time.

I learnt a lot in the process.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions

Edited by blu
  • Greenie 1

Sounds like you are being very sensible. Don't be too disheartened as your boat will come along. Also think how much you have learned by going through this process/ordeal. Best of luck and also with your move. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blu said:

Some closure:

Unfortunately, I had to pull out of this boat and even sadder to the whole boat buying process for a while.

The boat - after the pre purchase survey - proved to be more of a project boat than the tidying/fixing it up I was expecting.

I have to move out by end of the month so no time for that.

I'll keep my eye and ears open, saving money to buy a better one in the mean time.

I learnt a lot in the process.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions

Sorry to hear that.  Hope you’re not too disheartened and you’re back out and looking again soon.  

Everyone’s approach is different but if you’re still committed to buying a boat then don’t put it off too long. Sometimes better to spend your money on completing some of that project work than waiting too long for the right boat and finding that prices have risen to the point when the original one looked a bargain.  

Good luck with it either way.  👍🤞

• Greenie 1

Sounds sensible to walk away. Despite what some others may say, I don't think a project boat is suitable for someone wanting to liveaboard straight away. Living aboard for the first time is a steep enough learning curve as it is without the boat itself being a project. Believe me, you'll have plenty of jobs to do on whatever boat you buy - even if it's brand new and fully fitted!

Second had boat prices have increased over recent years, but that doesn't necessarily mean that trend will continue indefinitely. Prices could well stabilise or even fall if the inflated second hand boat market bubble pops. Nobody really knows. Base your decisions on your personal circumstances, not on fear of further price increases.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

On 01/02/2024 at 08:40, jonathanA said:

Deleted

Edited by LadyG

there is a time to let your head rule your heart and sounds like this is one of those occasions. 

it would be interesting to know what the issues were, but I would understand if the OP doesn't want to share that and risk speculation/comment, if not outright criticism (from some), for what I'm sure has been a difficult decision. good luck with finding the right boat when you are ready.