No water from the taps!

Featured Posts

Hello! 

We've been living on our 31ft Narrowboat in Thames Ditton for 4 months and have finally had a plumbing problem! 

Our water pump stopped working, and no water was coming through the taps, nor was then any noise... I changed the water pump and water is feeding through it but still have nothing coming from the taps.

Can anyone suggest what it might be? An absolute plumbing beginner, so there's a 110% chance it's me missing something ...

Thanks so much for the help everyone! 

3 hours ago, Jake150 said:

Hello! 

water is feeding through it but still have nothing coming from the taps.

Thanks so much for the help everyone! 

Water is feeding through where?   You mean from the tank to the pump but no further?  Tank stop tap on? Could be air lock, open all taps and run for a minute.. Is there a filter on the pipe or the pump?  Is the pump fitted the correct way round?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

The one time we ran out of water the water wouldn't reach the taps, got it working by sucking a tap, mouth full of grit and water - been fine ever since. Does your pump now keep running or does it eventually shut off/

20 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I imagine an absolute beginner in everything to maintain the boat, not just the plumbing of a water pump.

So what?

They have asked a question which is part of learning.

Why not try and help as others have done?

Edited by MJG
Too many nots

Ugly as it sounds like Bee says go suck a tap, it does work if theres an airlock, wouldn't be the worst thing I ever snogged, give it a go.

Good luck/suck.

K

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

7 hours ago, MJG said:

So what?

They have asked a question which is part of learning.

Why not try and help as others have done?

Give us your solution?

As without a little more info on what the new pump is doing it could be a few things. Has he tested the power supply? if yes test that the new pump runs, test there is water from the tank to pump feed. Connect pump to system turn on water supply and 12v power supply. Pump should run. Go and open taps to release any air in system, once all taps are running close taps, pump should switch itself off. All should be back to normal. Job done. This is basically the routine, if he has done all this and it’s still not working, then other suggestions can be made.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Give us your solution?

As without a little more info on the what the new pump is doing it could be a few things.

Has he tested the power supply, if yes test that the new pump check it runs, test there is water from the tank to pump feed. Connect pump to system turn on water supply and 12v supply. Pump should run. Go and open taps to release any air in system, once all taps are running close  taps, pump should switch itself off. All should be back to normal. Job done.

That is what has already been asked and or suggested. Hence I had given them a vote up.

Your stupid comment added nothing.

Edited by MJG

7 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But that’s all you seam to do on here, greenies and reactions. Little real world knowledge of boating, so please stop touting for arguments as usual.

I don't feel the need to repeat the things others have suggested. Just simply agree with them with a vote 'up'.

As for touting for arguments, well I certainly don't feel the need to stalk your daughter's Facebook page, eh PD1964.

Edited by MJG

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here.  Filled up with water after winter drain off.  Pump clicking away but cold water to shower and basin only. Nothing at kitchen sink ( reverse layout ) no hot water so just keep opening taps ?  

with all taps off does the pump stop after a few minutes ?  if not I would suspect a burst pipe/sprung fitting somewhere after the shower/basin or another possibility is the calorifier PRV being stuck open and your pump is pumping all your water out via the calorifier PRV

I assume you've checked to see if any water is appearing in unexpected places/coming out of any skin fittings when the pump is running. 

46 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Same problem here.  Filled up with water after winter drain off.  Pump clicking away but cold water to shower and basin only. Nothing at kitchen sink ( reverse layout ) no hot water so just keep opening taps ?  

First, I hope you mean whirring, rather than clicking, domestic water pumps usually make a motor running whirr rather than clicks. If it really is clicking then it sounds like it is cutting in and out so, as JonathanA said, check for leaks.

When you refill an empty tank I have always found the best thing to do is to have ALL the taps and outlets open and then, as air free water runs from each outlet, turn that outlet off.

If you drained the calorifier (assuming calorifier hot water) then is will take a short while to refill it before any water comes from the hot taps.

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks Jonathon.  Taps off and pump goes quiet.   No action from pump when any hot taps are turned on either.  

That suggests a blockage in the supply to the calorifier. many have a non-return valve close to or on the cold water inlet, if this has a rubber seat it may have stuck shut, but at 30psi plus I find that less easy to believe. Maybe try whacking the valve 9if you have one) with a piece of wood. but take care in case doing so with gusto splits the calorifier.

Has anyone turned any valves off?

Thanks Tony.  Yes whirring sound. Did not drain calorifier as could not see a draw of tap. 

Its a no pump noise from kitchen taps which is strange.  This is last on line from water tank so am thinking air lock between bathroom and rear kitchen ?    When running bath sink taps water does flow from kitchen. Turn off bath sink abd water stops.  Running kitchen taps on their own does not switch on pump 

7 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks Tony.  Yes whirring sound. Did not drain calorifier as could not see a draw of tap. 

Its a no pump noise from kitchen taps which is strange.  This is last on line from water tank so am thinking air lock between bathroom and rear kitchen ?    When running bath sink taps water does flow from kitchen. Turn off bath sink abd water stops.  Running kitchen taps on their own does not switch on pump 

Sorry, that makes little sense to me, but don't doubt it is happening. I have known taps with lose jumpers stick closed after the winter lay up, but if it was that then opening a bathroom tap would not cause them to flow. It sounds as if, for some reason, the kitchen taps do not let any water out, so the pressure in the system does not drop, whereas the bathroom taps do let the pressure out, so the pump cuts in.

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Same here Tony.  Home now will re visit another time. Was going to run the engine to charge batteries but guess this may harm calorifier if indeed it is starved of water ? 

No, will not damage anything, charge the batteries.

Its fixed !!!  Many thanks to all who contributed.  Bled off screws on 3 expansion pipes ( hot  cold and C heater )  and screwed / unscrewed 2 gate valves alongside calorifier.   Guess they must have stuck or grit in them having run out of water.  Run engine and central heating and all working 

Thanks again.  

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1