Which Samsung tablet

LadyG

Featured Posts

Hi, my Lenova tablet died today, and as I have mastered the Samsung Galaxy phone, I decided to buy a Samsung.

Now I want speed of processing rather than massive storage.

Also, my Lenova measures 11" diagonally and longest 9.5 side to side.

So I assume I want to avoid anything called Tab 8.

I use Three which I pay for monthly, via a Huwai mifi router.

Budget around £200. 

Thanks

I te d to use Three shops as they get them working for me before I leave the shop, but I'm OK to use Amazon lockers

Edited by LadyG
Shopping at Three

34 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

As any tablet, except Apple, uses Android, then there is no reason to discount cheaper makes. 

It's not the android,  it's the Samsung that I can cope with.

Anyways I've selected Samsung 9+ tablet, just not sure if I need the upgrade there are two similar models with £50 difference 

I can buy a cheapo unknown for £85, but I'd rather have the latest branded model straight off the production line as it will be able to cope with modern software if made by a big brand.

I don't spend £1000 on the latest computer equipment, today's latest hardware is tomorrow's old technology.

However, a tablet manufactured today, even at low price bracket will have used the latest chips etc, they dont keep old stock in bins to put in to today's computers 

Edited by LadyG

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's not the android,  it's the Samsung that I can cope with.

Anyways I've selected Samsung 9+ tablet, just not sure if I need the upgrade there are two similar models with £50 difference 

I can buy a cheapo unknown for £85, but I'd rather have the latest branded model straight off the production line as it will be able to cope with modern software if made by a big brand.

I don't spend £1000 on the latest computer equipment, today's latest hardware is tomorrow's old technology.

However, a tablet manufactured today, even at low price bracket will have used the latest chips etc, they dont keep old stock in bins to put in to today's computers 

I think that you will find that it is an Android operating system, maybe customised a bit by Samsung to hide that, but still Android.

I also think, from the Samsung website, that they are well outside your stated budget unless you buy second hand.

Not doing very well today, letter missing from the name. It seems Amazon have the A9 for about £235. This may be end of line stock. However, I still think that it uses the Android operating system

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

However, I still think that it uses the Android operating system

It is Android but Samsung overlay their own user interface customisations over the top which you can't disable.  I really do not like the Samsung interface on my work phone which is why my personal android phone is Motorola because they leave the UI alone and just add some optional features that you can enable or disable.

The downside with lower cost Android tablets is often performance is poor due to lack of memory, reduced storage and lower spec processor.

Well I've ordered from the Samsung site as Amazon don't have the latest stuff, it was £239 with free case, and free delivery, I agree the most promoted things are highest priced, but as far as I can see the cheaper line is excellent value, I checked processor speed.  I m pretty sure I've paid for it outright . It took ages to sort it out, but I think that us cos my signal keeps dropping. 45mph winds here.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well I've ordered from the Samsung site as Amazon don't have the latest stuff, it was £239 with free case, and free delivery, I agree the most promoted things are highest priced, but as far as I can see the cheaper line is excellent value, I checked processor speed.  I m pretty sure I've paid for it outright . It took ages to sort it out, but I think that us cos my signal keeps dropping. 45mph winds here.

It's the Samsung galaxy Tab A9+ 11 inch.

For me it's better if it can't be tweaked, and  it's about the same spec as my phone, which seems OK.

I'm a casual user, no way would i spend £1000'S on either a phone or a tablet, though some people obviously feel the need.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

For me it's better if it can't be tweaked, and  it's about the same spec as my phone, which seems OK.

I'm a casual user, no way would i spend £1000'S on either a phone or a tablet, though some people obviously feel the need.

I've had the Samsung Galaxy A9 phone since March 2018 and it's still going strong, battery lasts all day unless I am using it a lot.

Try to disable Bing though, horribly intrusive.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

It's alway worth checking buying direct from a manufacturer's web site. Items are sometimes more expensive but often the manufacturer will have offers that either are cheaper or come with accessories not included elsewhere.

Santa brought me a new tablet for Xmas direct that included a genuine case and precision pen for less than the tablet alone on Amazon, Argos etc. Returns are not always as easy but I've not fallen foul of that yet.

17 hours ago, MJG said:

It's alway worth checking buying direct from a manufacturer's web site. Items are sometimes more expensive but often the manufacturer will have offers that either are cheaper or come with accessories not included elsewhere.

Santa brought me a new tablet for Xmas direct that included a genuine case and precision pen for less than the tablet alone on Amazon, Argos etc. Returns are not always as easy but I've not fallen foul of that yet.

indeed, Samsung are same price as Amazon but give away a rather expensive case this month......

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

indeed, Samsung are same price as Amazon but give away a rather expensive case this month......

And the advantage of getting a genuine case is that they are far superior to the crappy generic ones you get on eBay and Amazon.

The problem with buying cheap ones on Ebay is that usually the battery is knackered - you have the same problem with battery power tools. And buying new you get all the system and security updates for years with Samsung and Google.

I'm still on an old Lenovi Yoga tablet and their update policy is rubbish. Battery life brilliant though.

I have had 3 Samsung tablets, all good, lastest one S9 FE+, lovely bit of kit, bought a folding case for it and it comes with a stylus. I had a problem with the second one, the screen died, repaired under 2 year warranty. I see Samsung have closed their shops.