Help.....I'm frozen

Featured Posts

I bought a barge 9 months ago, everything was working perfectly.....two months ago I was moving location when the boat stopped, I called someone who said it was the solenoid?!?, I paid someone upfront to help fix problem,who told me there was much more wrong with it, I needed this part and that part which I purchased.  The man never returned.........two more people have had me over..........I also bought a part for the boiler, and the person fixed it( so they say), yet here I am sitting in a hospital bed with phunmonia. 

Please, I really need my boat fixed, is there anybody who can recommend or help me to solve these few little problems.

I'm a woman on my own , I bought the barge as a lifetime dream with a little inheritance money my grandfather left me don't want the boat to get run down, it's my home....please can anybody help me, I don't know where to turn....thanks

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your boating woes. Roughly where about in the country are you? Which canal?

Can you tell us what sort of heating your boat has? Solid fuel stove, oil burning stove or heater, gas, make and model? I am guessing a gas, or oil burning heater, but can't be sure.

Whilst accepting that you will feel vulnerable, you really need to give us a rough idea about where the boat is because you need recommendations for a local engineer. You may also find that a knowledgable member may feel able to help you.

31 minutes ago, Vanessageard said:

I bought a barge 9 months ago, everything was working perfectly.....two months ago I was moving location when the boat stopped, I called someone who said it was the solenoid?!?, I paid someone upfront to help fix problem,who told me there was much more wrong with it, I needed this part and that part which I purchased.  The man never returned.........two more people have had me over..........I also bought a part for the boiler, and the person fixed it( so they say), yet here I am sitting in a hospital bed with phunmonia. 

Please, I really need my boat fixed, is there anybody who can recommend or help me to solve these few little problems.

I'm a woman on my own , I bought the barge as a lifetime dream with a little inheritance money my grandfather left me don't want the boat to get run down, it's my home....please can anybody help me, I don't know where to turn....thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum 

As Jen and Tony have said, please give us enough information to enable us to give useful and targeted advice. Several members here do sometimes offer to visit to help and advise, so try to look on the bright side and get well soon.

40 minutes ago, Vanessageard said:

I'm in Alperton,  parrelle to Alperton train station.  

4 minutes ago, Vanessageard said:

I'm in Alperton,  parrelle to Alperton train station.  

O'dear - thats London isn't it.

Maybe try the London Boaters facebook page they may well know of some engineers - repairers who will work within London.

The problem with London is not only the cost of getting your van into the city, but the hassle of finding somewhere to park such that you are not carrying 100's of kilogrammes of tools and parts for 'miles' to get to the boat.

Good luck.

While I wish you well, it sounds like an internet forum is unlikely to be able to assist you. 

There are helpful members here who can give first-hand advice where there is a clear problem or such like, but in your situation you really are going to need to get someone to come to your boat who can look at your engine, fault find, and you can commission to do the repairs.   

If you get on Facebook you'll find there are some very active London boater groups.   Through that, you need to advertise for a mobile engine mechanic who operates in London.  

You may also be able to contact the CRT's Welfare Officer for your area as they may have some advice or at least make sure that their system knows of your situation. I think it was a chap called Sean Williams but that was a few years ago.  On their website, they list Laura Hudson 07789 642 446 as the license officer for the Paddington Arm so call her and see if she can assist. 

9 minutes ago, Vanessageard said:

I Don't actually know much about boats,  i'm trying to teach myself as I go along. It took me a while before. I could even ride the boat along without taking all the trees with me...... 

The TIMEA engineer group on Facebook has a list of engineers, most of which will work in London, and they have good reputations.

To get recommendations for specific engineers or advice though, you really do need help by sharing the make/model/type of boiler and engine, and the symptoms of the problem/s. It's possible (but not guaranteed) that the issues could be diagnosed and rectified without another expensive engineer :)

32 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Which hospital? We could send flowers.

Virtual flowers sent, I'm sure the forum members will rally round and help you out, there are some superheros on here. DAMHIK.

If you are moored up somewhere where you don't pay for mooring (ie you are a constant cruiser), it is best to talk to CRT and ask for a four week extension, else you may be getting an reminder to keep moving!

Im assuming it's a steel barge, is it a widebeam or a narrowboat. 

PS Is the dog OK?

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

London.  Hence why she is getting ripped off regularly.

No, I think it's more likely to be because she's a female on her own and is new to boats. It doesn't matter what part of the country you're in, some tradesmen (or people posing as tradesmen) in this country are completely mercenary. They don't care who they rip off or what harm they leave in their wake.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It looks like Alperton is too expensive for you, Tony?

Not that, despite what the OP says, I have been had once by a London boater swearing there was free parking close to the boat only to find that it was on double yellow lines. I also find driving in London very stressful. I have no wish to get mixed up with ULEZ bureaucracy. When I visit to try to help boaters it is on a FOC basis, I so don't see I should not specify where I will and will not attend. Quite apart from all that, I know I would have great difficulty walking the 100 yards the OP mentions after an hour's drive. I find your question rather odd.

• Greenie 4

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Before anything else, Heating the boat is of paramount importance.  How is it heated?

As OP is in hospital she could contact social services through the hospital, and they may be able to sort out temporary accomodation.

She will need time to recover cover, and obviously get the boat heating sorted.

We don't know the exact boat problem, but often  the engine needs to work to generate electricity, and also hot water.

There may be a solid fuel stove which will usually provide the main heating source for the boat. This may be independent of any plumbing though not always.

I have a Webasto type heater which heats the type of radiators found in a house, but the system needs electricity as well as diesel.

Electricity is needed for lighting, they are usually taking their power from the batteries. So, the engine generates electricity via an alternator, which is like a car, that is to say something like a "fan belt" will rotate the alternator which makes electricity.

The electricity from the alternator is stored in the batteries, you will need to get an understanding of your own boat batteries, dont worry, we have all been there!

Edited by LadyG