Ellesmere Port to Liverpool - across the Mersey

Ewan123

Featured Posts

We're thinking about making this crossing in a few months time in our 62ft narrowboat. Does anyone know of a nice to-do list/ guidance document for this trip? I think we were a bit spoiled by how easy it was to get information when we did the tidal Thames (particularly thanks to SPCC).

Ideally we'd be doing this without a pilot if that's feasible (for a start, I've already got the VHF and license for it).

I think thats a trip that needs a good pilot, and one who understands narrowboats. Otherwise you really need to know your stuff.

We have watched little sailing boats going into the Liverpool lock and unless you get it absolutly right the tidal flow is pretty scary.

There have been many threads on this subject - there was one a 'couple' of years ago and it was basically deceide ot was going to be very expensive (to meet the requirements) and that neither the boat or the owner was capabe of making the trip.

Here is a thread from 2014 

Thanks both. That old thread pointed me in the right direction to find this guidance from Peel Ports

https://www.peelports.com/media/qrunkad0/safety-guidance-for-small-boat-passage-of-the-river-mersey.pdf

https://www.peelports.com/media/ea5hnakk/mli01-pleasure-craft-induction-pack-2024.pdf

which does a decent job of making it sound scary enough to take the crossing seriously. Sounds like we need to invest in a radar reflector too (otherwise I think we have the required kit at least).

Time to look for a pilot then 👍

There is a report somewhere on the www (or maybe even on this forum) of a boat doing this trip (in the other direction) and not been entirely happy with the pilot. From memory I think they had to hold for quite a while before getting into the ship canal and they felt that the pilot, although knowing the route, was not really aware of the handling and limitations of a narrowboat.

On 11/01/2024 at 19:07, Ewan123 said:

which does a decent job of making it sound scary enough to take the crossing seriously. Sounds like we need to invest in a radar reflector too (otherwise I think we have the required kit at least).

Time to look for a pilot then 👍

We did it from EP to Liverpool 2 years ago. Don't be put off by the Peel Ports guidance notes, as there's a lot in there that you don't need and that includes a radar reflector. You don't even need navigation lights on your cabin (we don't have them). Just a suitable anchor, life vests etc and do your usual pre-trip checks. You will need the Peel Ports Certificate of Seaworthiness for which the criteria is very basic and nothing to worry about.

I would recommend using a pilot, we used Stuart Wood, and I'm fairly sure that Peel won't let you through Eastham Lock unless you have one. Also your insurance company might insist you use one. As well as piloting, Stuart is like having your own tour guide as he gives you snippets of interesting information about what you're passing.

The turn into Brunswick Lock in Liverpool is fairly straightforward depending on the tide and wind conditions, but the timing of the opening isn't an exact science and can sometimes mean an uncomfortable wait outside for 5 or 10 minutes before they let you in.

It's a great trip and well worth doing despite the cost.

9 hours ago, Grassman said:

We did it from EP to Liverpool 2 years ago. Don't be put off by the Peel Ports guidance notes, as there's a lot in there that you don't need and that includes a radar reflector. You don't even need navigation lights on your cabin (we don't have them). Just a suitable anchor, life vests etc and do your usual pre-trip checks. You will need the Peel Ports Certificate of Seaworthiness for which the criteria is very basic and nothing to worry about.

I would recommend using a pilot, we used Stuart Wood, and I'm fairly sure that Peel won't let you through Eastham Lock unless you have one. Also your insurance company might insist you use one. As well as piloting, Stuart is like having your own tour guide as he gives you snippets of interesting information about what you're passing.

The turn into Brunswick Lock in Liverpool is fairly straightforward depending on the tide and wind conditions, but the timing of the opening isn't an exact science and can sometimes mean an uncomfortable wait outside for 5 or 10 minutes before they let you in.

It's a great trip and well worth doing despite the cost.

Thanks 👍 courtesy of @Peugeot 106 we've been in touch with Stuart, have his guidance doc and intend to have him on board.

Went with a pilot, done it a couple of times and so long as the weather is working with you, and not against you should be fine. I'd recommend a pilot in case you need to avoid the local shipping.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, mykaskin said:

Went with a pilot, done it a couple of times and so long as the weather is working with you, and not against you should be fine. I'd recommend a pilot in case you need to avoid the local shipping.

Lovely boats and smashing video. Thanks

We did it on our own. Stuart the pilot reckoned you could fit 100 60ft narrowboats in Eastham Lock. I'm not so sure you could, but it certainly was a massive one.  Did you have one pilot for the whole convoy? 

My only disappointment was that we didn't encounter any large ships on the move, just a dredger and a tug was all we had.

• 1 month later...

Well we've got the pilot Stuart Wood on board and he's been very helpful with advice so far. Weather dependent of course, we also have a date and would be open to another boat/s joining us for the cruise - if anyone else fancies it on Sunday 14th April, let me know and I'm sure we could form a plan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2024 at 10:03, Grassman said:

We did it on our own. Stuart the pilot reckoned you could fit 100 60ft narrowboats in Eastham Lock. I'm not so sure you could, but it certainly was a massive one.  Did you have one pilot for the whole convoy? 

My only disappointment was that we didn't encounter any large ships on the move, just a dredger and a tug was all we had.

Yes, just one pilot. As to fitting 100 boats in a ship lock, watch: 

• Greenie 1

I enjoyed watching that! Copperkins, which we had a share in, was there with Peter and Elaine Scot on board and we did it a couple of years later. The 1998 trip was on its way to the IWA Festival in Salford keys and the 200 trip was to take p[art in a Broken Cross rally where there were some boats on the Weaver and some on the T & M canal. The lift wasn't yet reopened. My memory was 8 narrow boats side by side and about the same lengthwise. We always seemed to be next to the lock wall and it was some distance to throw a rope up! Ours had a monkey paw on the end then a length of thin rope then the proper mooring rope.  

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

We always seemed to be next to the lock wall and it was some distance to throw a rope up! Ours had a monkey paw on the end then a length of thin rope then the proper mooring rope.  

If you had a proper heaving line, it probably wasn't coincidence you were one of the nominated line throwers!

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

Good luck with the journey (and the weather)! Seems a good adventure.

I realize now that was you moored next to me last week, can't be many turquoise narrowboats planning to cross the Mersey.

Oh yes, I recognise your canoe! Your boat looks longer in the photo though somehow 😄

Thank you, I reckon it'll be fun.

• Happy 1

On 13/01/2024 at 20:59, mykaskin said:

Remember it well.  You had the pilot and we followed on Badger with another 5-6 boats behind.  Got to the crossover point and the pilot said "Off you go we'll wait for the stragglers".  Punched a 6-8 knot incoming tide and glad I had a healthy 2LW in the engine room with a big blade and working hard.

Tench accidentally lost power for a few seconds and was 200 yards upstream wrapped around a huge wreck buoy in the blink of an eye!  Then we had to hold station for a lifetime before they would let us in Brunswick lock.

Enjoyed every minute!😂

Certainly enjoyed it last year and were fortunate to pass a couple of large ships entering and exiting Eastham Lock with a few tugs around. The entry of the ship from the Mersey was inch perfect, Tug holding her from the stern as the tide pushed the ship into the lock, using its bow thruster for steering in. 

Stuart the pilot was excellent. He produced a printout of anticipated ship movements for the day and talked us through it all really well.

We crossed straight over from Brunswick Lock  then were pushed up with the tide on the Eastham side of the Mersey, pretty near to the bank. 

It was rather rougher then mykaskins great video.

Hope you enjoy the day.