Fixing Broken Window

bluelapsing

Featured Posts

If you have another identical window, measure it and go to any glass supplier and it should be simple....other than the fact it is Christmas...

Short term fix is to cut 4 or 6mm ply to fit, or acrylic,  just to keep the weather out.

Post the dimensions on here, and someone might just have a spare ....

Is it a right angle corner or rounded corner to top edges?

29 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you have another identical window, measure it and go to any glass supplier and it should be simple....other than the fact it is Christmas...

Short term fix is to cut 4 or 6mm ply to fit, or acrylic,  just to keep the weather out.

Post the dimensions on here, and someone might just have a spare ....

Is it a right angle corner or rounded corner to top edges?

Are they normally toughened glass in the hoppers

28 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are they normally toughened glass in the hoppers.

Yes.

56 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Brilliant, thanks.

The pane that's gone was 90x14mm, right angle corner - for now I'll run down to Wickes and get some acrylic (and hopefully nothing else smashes in my absence!)

Is that 90x140mm??🙂

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Is that 90x140mm??🙂

That's just the pane to slide in for the top hopper bit (900x140mm), which I was hoping I'd be able to get on its own. Probably wishful thinking

If I need a full replacement they're 36x21" - but for now it's duct taped and seems to be holding up pretty well.

Edited by bluelapsing

90x14cm toughened glass. I think there may be online services doing this but bad timing.

Or as said above to go a hardware store get a sheet of acrylic then cut it to size (carefully) with a stanley knife. It needs doing carefully and will take a lot of knife runs before it will bend and break along the line. 

Those top hoppers usually lift in and out from the inside. 

I would be tempted to just replace it with a piece of perspex the right size rather than glass then you can lift it in and out in summer without the risk of breaking..

I did this with lift-out portholes and its fine. Loads of online websites for custom perspex. Polycarbonate is better if it needs to be especially strong.

PETG if the mobs are rioting. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Wonder if Caldwells could send one out to you asap if you are struggling to find someone local 

Be worth a ring

I have over the years had to replace three hopper panes. Caldwells have be very good and helpful. Give then a call.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Managed to get in touch with a local company in Newark, hopefully they get back to me tomorrow, but will also look into getting a replacement made by a glazing company. Whichever's quicker, I suppose.

Neighbour kindly offered to pay as soon as he saw the damage, though he took every precaution he could to avoid it. The winds have just been vicious.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, bluelapsing said:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Managed to get in touch with a local company in Newark, hopefully they get back to me tomorrow, but will also look into getting a replacement made by a glazing company. Whichever's quicker, I suppose.

Neighbour kindly offered to pay as soon as he saw the damage, though he took every precaution he could to avoid it. The winds have just been vicious.

If you need to wait to get the glass sent off for toughening then if he has some safety film I would get him to cut a temporary pane and safety film it in the meantime.

I used 4mm Perspex/polycarbonate off Ebay to replace a broken fixed pane around 7 months ago. So far so good.

Polycarbonate more rigid than acrylic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254635292551?hash=item3b49723787:g:Ei4AAOSw9wpfQVBO

Email exact size for a price.

Bought 4mm Acrylic piece for a small 800x 150mm hopper for AC vent hose to go through. More flexible. Plasticsonline on Ebay but away until 2nd Jan. Cost was £15.00 cut to size.

Edited by canals are us?