Enclosed bow

Featured Posts

This would not have happened during the War.ย 

ย 

I'm confused with regards to how the tiller moves from side to side in this scenario.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

There seems to be an arc issue.ย 

ย 

Presumably it does work but I don't full understand how.ย 

ย 

ย 

Ah. They open the boot !ย 

ย 

ย 

• Haha 1

I do like a Thomas Bantock Boat.ย 

ย 

I did own one for a short time it was beautiful but you need to be quite hard to put a steel cabin on and I didn't do it.ย 

ย 

Nice hand forged bow plating on these.

ย 

Inside bow of the Boat I had.ย 

ย 

It seems to have survived and is apparently at Roger Fullers yard so maybe my insistence on not welding onto the top paid orf in the end.ย 

ย 

beautiful bit of work. Yes it had the chine plank and wooden bottom replaced back in the day but still significantly original.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

2087_ORIANNE_4.jpg

ย 

ย 

Edited by magnetman
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I do like a Thomas Bantock Boat.ย 

ย 

I did own one for a short time it was beautiful but you need to be quite hard to put a steel cabin on and I didn't do it.ย 

ย 

Nice hand forged bow plating on these.

ย 

Inside bow of the Boat I had.ย 

ย 

It seems to have survived and is apparently at Roger Fullers yard so maybe my insistence on not welding onto the top paid orf in the end.ย 

ย 

beautiful bit of work. Yes it had the chine plank and wooden bottom replaced back in the day but still significantly original.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

2087_ORIANNE_4.jpg

ย 

ย 

my hull is pretty much identical,

that of a Bantock

ย 

interesting to seeย 

ย 

Yes I noticed the front end of Goliath was a Bantock. Early one I think which originally had the wooden bottom and the last plank on the side also of wood.ย 

ย 

ย 

To my uneducated eye these are the best looking narrow Boat bows around. I like a Josher a lot but I don't personally think anyone ever made a better shape than Bantock.ย 

ย 

Obviously some of the Yarwood stations Boats were pretty good but just not quite there.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Thread about itย 

ย 

ย 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes I noticed the front end of Goliath was a Bantock. Early one I think which originally had the wooden bottom and the last plank on the side also of wood.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย Yes, I havenโ€™t a nice interior photo like yourโ€™s but Iโ€™ve an open well where those lovely wrought iron sheets can be seen,

ย 

but I love the shape of the bow and you can see the hard life itโ€™s had;

ย 

ย 

IMG_4290.jpeg

• Greenie 1

I've had boats all my life & a few years ago we decided to have our catch converted to an enclosed bow. It's a 57' semi-tradย  ย Martin Kedian steelworks did the work for us and it's been fantastic. We have a large berth over a stainless water tank. Much as I despise the look 3 years ago we added a Pram hood & all in all the extra living space has been a godsend. Well worth the expense. We don't have a bow-thruster but have no problems deploying the pole when needed & as for the anchor, being a solo boater. My crew is usually in the cabin, I carry the anchor at the stern with the chain/rope secured to the bow.

4 minutes ago, Clodi said:

We don't have a bow-thruster but have no problems deploying the pole when needed & as for the anchor, being a solo boater. My crew is usually in the cabin,ย 

This is an Interesting approach to solo boating.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

(possible misinterpretation here)

15 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_4290.jpeg

Nobody in history ever made a better looking narrow boat front end and it will never happen again.ย 

ย 

Its a work of art.ย 

ย 

ย 

The 3 inch rubbing strakes get me weak at the knees.ย 

4 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Itโ€™s the stainless steel blokeโ€™s boat ainโ€™t it? Usually seen around the Cov.

He pulls a butty with all his gear and rollers in.

@ditchcrawler did you get any photos of the stainless steel rudder?
That is impressive ๐Ÿ‘

Thatโ€™s right, stainless steel chimneys especially ?ย 

ย 

I managed to get a picture of the rudder, a couple of weeks ago. Itโ€™s very impressiveย 

ย 

IMG_2023-12-19-222351.thumb.jpeg.dfb28842b0bbbd06e0da80f9c961e213.jpeg

ย 

IMG_2023-12-19-222426.thumb.jpeg.7c8feb1c2b125993206f539d81bdf2d6.jpeg

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Happy 1

I have never understood why a boat builder or fabricator would not put bridges across. Its not a lot of extra work and doesn't look 'wrong' its just logical to do it but it is quite common to see these parts left open.ย 

ย 

I will never understand why.ย 

ย 

23 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Thatโ€™s right, stainless steel chimneys especially ?ย 

ย 

I managed to get a picture of the rudder, a couple of weeks ago. Itโ€™s very impressiveย 

ย 

IMG_2023-12-19-222351.thumb.jpeg.dfb28842b0bbbd06e0da80f9c961e213.jpeg

ย 

ย 

Years ago there was a (not real) Kingfisher on the wood bitย 

• 3 weeks later...