Land

Yvonne samosa

Featured Posts

Noticed there was a nice canalside field on the GU but now sold. I wonder if someone will be using it for moorings.

edit it is on the Aylesbury arm not GU main line. 

https://www.vantageland.co.uk/land-for-sale-grand-union-canal-buckinghamshire.php

Interestingly one can do land registry map searches for free which comes up with previous sale prices and even more interestingly it also sometimes names the 'plot' and shows other plots nearby if the land was separated into several parts at some stage. 

I've found plots I never knew existed by inspecting land registry maps. 

Free service. 

Just out of random interest I did a map pin on one of the plots below Stoke Hammond lock on the GU

Land registry (no login and no payment) came up with this 

Summary of freehold

Property description

Plot 1b, Stoke Hammond Lock, Stoke Hammond, Milton Keynes

This is how HM Land Registry have described the property in the register

How to update the property description

Tenure type
Freehold What's freehold?

Last sold for
£60,000 on 28 June 2021

and also shows outlines of neighbouring plots on the map. 

An interesting tool. if you pay £3 you can get owner details and another £3 for the title plan (map). 

I like land registry 

https://search-property-information.service.gov.uk/

Place pin on map. 

I know it is a bit rude but my old man managed to buy a house which was not advertised for sale by sending letters to owners of houses he liked the look of asking if they wanted to sell. This was back in the 70s. 

This could work with mooring plots.

The information is public you just have to get a login and pay £3 for land owner details. It would take a bit of doing but if you spot an unused canalside plot it is actually quite easy to find out who owns it. Doesn't mean they will respond to you but they might..

Widening the search radius at Stoke Hammond comes up with a list 

Search results

6 results found

Not all of them will have sold prices but 3 of these do. Interesting how they are named. I'm pretty sure they are all used as moorings.

(I didn't realise that by copying that the links would come here but they have). 

Land plots near Rugby 

Search results

29 results found

( I don't know if these are moorings but it shows how good the land registry map search is. 

Edited by magnetman

On 30/11/2023 at 10:04, Higgs said:

By doing that, you would be giving up rights as a landowner that you have. You can sit on your own land for free, in water that happens to be adjoining the canal's. 

Key lies in the word access - that is what is involved when cutting through CaRT's bank

On 30/11/2023 at 10:13, jonathanA said:

I think this is largely urban myth.  I can only speak from my own personal and direct experience of owning a parcel of land with 60m of offside canal frontage. There is no ransom strip. 

who is responsible  for maintaining the 'bank' is not at all clear - CRT try to imply its the landowner (me) except they then try to insist that I submit details and pay them to authorise any work on the bankside.  In my case simply installing wooden decking (not requiring any support from the canal bed or anything like that).  Most of my neighbours just do it/have done it and ignore them. 

On most of the system CRT own a strip of land on the offside of the canal which is one to two metres in width. I know this as at one point a few years ago I had access to legal plans which showed the extent of their ownership.

Edited by John Brightley

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

On most of the system CRT own a strip of land on the offside of the canal which is one to two metres in width. I know this as at one point a few years ago I had access to legal plans which showed the extent of their ownership.

It varies. Some canal companies acquired a strip of land along the offside when the canals were built. Others didn't, particularly on the contour canals where the offside bank is almost invariably where in rural areas the water meets slightly rising ground. The companies did acquire land where it was needed for cuttings and embankments, wharves etc and at locks. 

And in some areas where there was originally a strip of canal company land on the offside, the bank has eroded away so that area is now flooded, and the water space abuts or extends over the adjacent landowner's land.

On 01/12/2023 at 06:02, MtB said:

This one popped up a few years ago:

https://www.watersideproperties.com/properties-for-sale/

I first noticed a scattering of their "For Sale" boards cruising along the Coventry. Boards at the end of the gardens of houses for sale so visible from the cut rather than from the road. 

When I was looking for a canalside property with moorings ten years ago I simply googled "canalside properties with moorings" and lo and behold loads turned up, mainly on Rightmove and/or Zoopla.

Don't some of the enabling acts also grant access to the canal for adjacent landowner for building wharfes and so on as required? In that case surely crt can't enforce a NAA as the right to connect already exists so no contract required.

I'm sure the Rochdale was one with the above clause, but that right will have been nullified by the abandonment act. Canals that have never closed and read the acts carefully could open up a excellent can of worms if somebody so wishes to enjoy CRT taking you to court. It would be a dangerous precedent to set so they may just let you get on with it if it's only for a boat or 2

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Don't some of the enabling acts also grant access to the canal for adjacent landowner for building wharfes and so on as required? In that case surely crt can't enforce a NAA as the right to connect already exists so no contract required.

I'm sure the Rochdale was one with the above clause, but that right will have been nullified by the abandonment act. Canals that have never closed and read the acts carefully could open up a excellent can of worms if somebody so wishes to enjoy CRT taking you to court. It would be a dangerous precedent to set so they may just let you get on with it if it's only for a boat or 2

Something might have happened when the Public Right of Navigation on canals was extinguished. 

someone will know. Was it 1968?

On 01/12/2023 at 17:32, Mike Todd said:

Key lies in the word access - that is what is involved when cutting through CaRT's bank

They get payment for, access. The land and property of the marina are still the land and property of the marina, and private. 

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Even if a land owner has full access to the edge of the canal any moored boat will be floating on CRT water so CRT will feen its reasonable to charge for the mooring.

The Rocdale is a bit of a law unto itself 🙂and there are certainly a few locks that appear to be part of somebodies garden.

River Great Ouse at Eaton Socon part of plot that was assumed to be common land by locals (Councillors). Turned out they were wrong!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130802501#/?channel=COM_BUY 

Only problem is that it is a short way downstream of the weir (and lock) and is regularly flooded half way back to the cricket ground!

There were/are half a dozen plots either side of the footbridge this is the last one to be sold.

On 03/12/2023 at 19:49, CIEL said:

River Great Ouse at Eaton Socon part of plot that was assumed to be common land by locals (Councillors). Turned out they were wrong!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130802501#/?channel=COM_BUY 

Only problem is that it is a short way downstream of the weir (and lock) and is regularly flooded half way back to the cricket ground!

There were/are half a dozen plots either side of the footbridge this is the last one to be sold.

Yeah, you'd want risers for that one, and wellies, and you'd have a lot more company than the photos suggest.