Roving boaters

blackrose

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So it’s important that there is a lock on the shower door, but not whether or not the shower works? One has to wonder what you like to get up to in a shower!

Very droll. T**t. 

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

Very droll. T**t. 

Funny how only some get penalised…..I’ll remember that….and that was mild compared to my first thought!!!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Swearing, which is against forum rules.

49 minutes ago, frangar said:

Very droll. T**t. 

Funny how only some get penalised…..I’ll remember that….and that was mild compared to my first thought!!!

How do you know who gets penalised and who doesn't?

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I can see that he got penalised because there is a moderator note below the post. 

Or did you mean getting warning points?

Well if the former that is something seen quite often, and it's not really being penalised simply having a swear word edited out.

2 hours ago, gigoguy said:

. As you are probably aware there is also a review of customer service facilities taking place. The intended outcome is to close all showers and toilets to boaters but open to staff and volunteers. Now there will be many on here who will say I'm ok I've got my own shower. Or I don't use the facilities anyway. Selfish selfish selfish. That's what I mean by I'm alright jack

Showers and washing machines were put into services when most boats didn't have either. Most now do, and certainly all boats have showers and toilets, so why should CRT spend useful money maintaining them? Especially when vandalism is so extensive - I don't think I've seen a functioning shower in a facility for years. It's a total waste of CRT's money, catering to the odd freeloader who can't be bothered to use their own.

Nowt to do with selfishness , just priorities. Perhaps those who rarely go through a lock and just expect everything on a plate are the selfish ones?

• Greenie 2

In all the times we have hired and in five years of owning a boat I cannot recall a single time we used any showers, the loos yes occasionally but not the showers.

Much preferred to use our own. 

That said there will still be a number of boaters with smaller boats particularly small grp boats that won't have on board showers.

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hate that red blob on the bottom of every post you make

I hate signatures in general. I've turned them off as ok, some might be amusing the first 35 times you read them, but the novelty wears off soon after. 

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hate that red blob on the bottom of every post you make

To get rid of it, hide his signature.

Click on the very feint down arrow to the right of each post to hide all or an individual signature.

Signature block.JPG

Edited by M_JG

Just now, MtB said:

I hate signatures in general. I've turned them off as ok, some might be amusing the first 35 times you read them, but the novelty wears off soon after. 

Which rather begs the question why you have one.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've used CRT showers plenty of times, sometimes I'll use a shower whilst filling our water tank, sometimes I am moving a working boat with no onboard facilities.

You freeloader.

You’re clearly the enemy of the house dwelling marina based folk.

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Now removed. It was experimental. I didn't know an image could be used in that space. Just playing with settings. 

Also didn't realise one can change one's user name. 

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

You freeloader.

You’re clearly the enemy of the house dwelling marina based folk.

I thought the idea of going boating on an old boat was for the experience. 

I bet the boatmen of old didn't stop at shower blocks ! 

Humans have not changed in reality. Its still easy enough to have a wash using the dipper. 

• Horror 1

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Now removed. It was experimental. I didn't know an image could be used in that space. Just playing with settings. 

One change per 180 days from memory.

Correction just checked - 182 days.

Edited by M_JG

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought the idea of going boating on an old boat was for the experience. 

I bet the boatmen of old didn't stop at shower blocks ! 

Humans have not changed in reality. Its still easy enough to have a wash using the dipper. 

Old boatmen wouldn’t have had access to a bathroom let alone a shower even in their own homes. (And yes many did live in houses).

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Showers and washing machines were put into services when most boats didn't have either. Most now do, and certainly all boats have showers and toilets, so why should CRT spend useful money maintaining them? Especially when vandalism is so extensive - I don't think I've seen a functioning shower in a facility for years. It's a total waste of CRT's money, catering to the odd freeloader who can't be bothered to use their own.

Nowt to do with selfishness , just priorities. Perhaps those who rarely go through a lock and just expect everything on a plate are the selfish ones?

The more difficult case is that of laundry facilities. For similar reasons, the number of launderettes in the community has dropped drastically since their height. All new homes will come with at least a washer and dryer as part of the package and the lack is focussed on specific sectors, such as the lower quality rental market. Increasingly, new boats will have them as standard but the proportion of liveaboards with out is probably much higher than in most other parts of society and, in any case, they are a fraction of boaters as a whole, most of whom can readily take it back home at the end of their week or fortnight. In addition, CaRT laundry facilities do seem to be prone to misuse and have a high maintenance cost.

In our previous boat we were dependent on finding launderettes so I know how scarce they are, even 7 years ago. On our new boat, we specified a washer to be built in and certainly do not regret allocating that space for that purpose (being built in it only uses its own volume and not the space above it). Equally I am aware of the difficulty encountered by liveaboards without such a facility. One or two places, including camping sites beside the canal, are noted for being welcoming but it is the exception rather than the rule.

Why would anybody use a public shower / toilet.

Standing in a shower where the previous user has verrucas.

Sitting on toilet seat where the previous user has diarrhoea.

Not for me thanks I will use my own facilities.

As for launderettes ACS produce a comprehensive list 🥱

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Why would anybody use a public shower / toilet.

Standing in a shower where the previous user has verrucas.

Sitting on toilet seat where the previous user has diarrhoea.

Not for me thanks I will use my own facilities.

As for launderettes ACS produce a comprehensive list 🥱

"I got a caravan instead" -so if you go to a caravan site, do you not use the facilities there?

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

"I got a caravan instead" -so if you go to a caravan site, do you not use the facilities there?

For me - I do. 

But we are careful to use sites that are spotlessly clean and I do wear flip flops in the shower. I can't recall any CRT shower that was as clean as the ones I use on site.

Mrs M_JG doesn't, she prefers the shower in the 'van.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That shows just how little you know!!

There are plenty of smaller cruisers on the system that do not have a shower.

• Greenie 1