Email from CaRT

Sweeny Todd

Featured Posts

Going back to the original subject it seems a little unwise to fiddle with the terms and conditions of the car parking offered by the CRT

One could suggest that perhaps if they own the land upon which the vehicles are parked they could decide to withdraw permission altogether. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

It wasn't very lucky for Apollo

There will be plenty of examples where 13 has been lucky which over time and in a number of different ways will even out the unlucky events. 

Its a mathematical certain tea. 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It wasn't very lucky for Apollo

Well actually as Gene Kranz is reputed to have said 'it was to be Nasa's finest hour'.

(Not an exact quote but that was the drift.)

Edited by M_JG

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Well actually as Gene Kranz is reputed to have said 'it was Nasa's finest hour'.

(Not an exact quote but that was the drift.)

Well, I guess that's easy for him to say after the event in the comfort of his pristine white waistcoat. I bet the occupants of the tin can in space didn't feel too fine.

It was probably a Rocky descent.

• Horror 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I guess that's easy for him to say after the event in the comfort of his pristine white waistcoat. I bet the occupants of the tin can in space didn't feel too fine.

Alternatively another way of looking at it is he was inspiring confidence in his team's ability to succeed in getting them home safely (it is actually reputed to have been said just as they initiated the rescue).

He could have said 'oh shit we and they are goosed'.

28 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Alternatively another way of looking at it is he was inspiring confidence in his team's ability to succeed in getting them home safely (it is actually reputed to have been said just as they initiated the rescue).

He could have said 'oh shit we and they are goosed'.

Well, I suppose if he did indeed say "it was to be NASA's finest hour", as opposed to "it was NASA's finest hour", and he said it prior to the sucessful return of the crew, then I guess he had a point.

Anyway, Goose was in topgun

• Horror 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I suppose if he did indeed say "it was to be NASA's finest hour", as opposed to "it was NASA's finest hour", and he said it prior to the sucessful return of the crew, then I guess he had a point.

Anyway, Goose was in topgun

He is reputed to have said it before yes. My quote wasn't entirely accurate.

I'm guessing you've asked for permission to work on you're boat on the mooring?  And I'd guess the motorhome is taking all the space.  Its called a car park for a reason.  Its all smoke and mirrors saying it does not explicitly say no motorhomes, but then it does not explicitly rule out HGV either- but if someone parked a HGV everyone would complain. 

You live on a leisure berth, fixing up you're boat and living on the motorhome whilst you repair the boat (probably for sale) and you're pulling up CRT for enforcing the rules.   Same rules you'd level on them at a drop of a hat, same rules you'd expect them to enforce on someone else doing something you don't like.  

Have some respect for others instead of being selfish...  Only on it for a cup of tea....yeah okay then... :D

Edited by Creaking Gate

On 23/11/2023 at 21:49, Sweeny Todd said:

Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions

There are 2 motorhomes that use the car park both owned by berth holders,  4 large work Van's. 6 cars. The majority of which have parked here for several years.

It's a private road which according to CaRT when issues have arisen, is owned by the owner of the 2 houses at the bottom of the private road. 

The parking is not near the lock. A gate was put up to stop dog walkers parking near the lock.

Yes, all vehicles are taxed/ MOT'd / insured

If the access road is privately owned then it may be them that bought about the complaint, if this was the case then I'd definitely be inclined to go with CRT's request as they may be able to deny access to moorers. 

• Greenie 1

On 24/11/2023 at 09:06, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is any help according to the V5 (log book)  the 'status' of my "Motorhome', 'Camper Van', 'Motorised Snail' is :

Motor Caravan

v5.jpg

A caravan is a structure which is designed or adapted for human habitation and is capable of being moved from one place to another.[1] This does not include railway rolling stock or tents.

This definition covers a broad range of movable structures, including traditional caravans, campervans, motorhomes, and adapted static railway carriages. A houseboat, which consisted of a caravan on a float (known as a Hartford Houseboat) was held to meet the statutory definition of a caravan. The caravan could be towed and removed but the float could not. [2]

Whilst looking up the legal definition of a caravan I stumbled across this 'little gem' on the "Shelter" website :

Last updated: 22 March 2023

A person is legally homeless if they live in a movable structure such as a caravan, mobile home or houseboat, and there is nowhere where they have permission to put it and live in it (s.175(2)(b) Housing Act 1996.)

Which would suggest that CCers are 'legally' homeless, as the boat licence is not a 'permission to moor'

One should be quite careful about 'rocking the boat' as many camper DIY panel van conversions have never had their V5 status changed from 'VAN' to "MOTOR CARAVAN".

It is illegal to use a "VAN" for 'living accomodation' and amongst other things it 'affects' your insurance.

My late cabinet making friend converted his long wheelbase Land Rover into a "Campervan" and they wouldn't change the classification because being single he only incorporated a small flat surface for eating off.  That didn't count as a table so it wasn't allowed to be classed as a motor caravan.

• Horror 1

On 24/11/2023 at 10:49, Cheese said:

But you would have to agree that that's a bit illogical. So it is ok to keep a 4-ton truck, but not a small VW camper?? If it was really about manoeuvrability it should just be a maximum vehicle size ...

4 ton truck would need an O-licence. 

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is an O-Licence ?

I thought C1 and C1E were the categories to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes and I bet most of the posters here have got that on their licence anyway.

Operators licence probably.

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Operators licence. depending on use

Thanks - so you would need an 'O-Licence' if it is used to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business. 

But if it is your own personal 'van' (camper or horsebox or ...........) then it is driven on a C1 licence.

My understanding on the C&RT moorings is that you are not allowed to conduct any business from them.