48ft narrowboat Leisure Boat

kats

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I have no idea, but sensibly priced boats don't stay up for sale very long.

Which doesn't mean it isn't priced correctly. Perhaps the seller is in no great hurry, or looking for the right buyer. Perhaps it's better to overprice it and bring it down than to underprice it and sell it quickly. 

It can't be too far out, or the OP wouldn't be interested. QED innit. 😂

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Which doesn't mean it isn't priced correctly. Perhaps the seller is in no great hurry, or looking for the right buyer. Perhaps it's better to overprice it and bring it down than to underprice it and sell it quickly. 

Totally agree. The corollary of course is, any boat selling quickly was underpriced. QED and all that. 

The boat is four years old, how does the price compare with buying a new boat built to the same specification today?  You might also have to wait for a build slot, and the time for the build, before you could enjoy it, assuming the builder doesn't go under along the way.

So, buying today, a boat you like, for a price you can afford, with teething problems sorted, saving the new boat depreciation, might seem a good deal. 

• Greenie 1

The biggest obstacle here seems to be the distance to travel in the hope that the boat lives up to the pictures and expectations. A common problem, but maybe somewhat mitigated by viewing more than one boat when you get there. 

Soooo, my suggestion would be to build up a list of 5 or 6 other worthy boats in the area and view them at the same time. 

Sorry if that seems an obvious thing to say, but sometimes the picture of a boat on a computer screen does not add up to the reality. 

Edited by rusty69
spellin

The current price for a 50ft sailaway from ABC Boats is £53.5k that's before all the labour and cost of materials for fitting out. I think it would be fair to say ABC are well regarded but not the best hull builder, somewhere in the middle. So to me for a very recent quality hull with what looks like a very nice fitout, 70k looks reasonable. Not too hard to make the two single beds into a double &, as already mentioned, if it were me I'd swap the compost loo for cassette, again easy. Good luck...

• Greenie 2

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

You are probably correct, time will tell, it does look a nice boat in all fairness.

On 06/11/2023 at 13:47, Crewcut said:

The current price for a 50ft sailaway from ABC Boats is £53.5k

Sailaways vary considerably as to how much has been provided, going from bare hull plus engine to hull plus engine, ballasting, flooring, insulation, battening, walling, wiring, etc.   What exactly are you getting for what seems to be a high price of £53K for a sailaway?

18 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Sailaways vary considerably as to how much has been provided, going from bare hull plus engine to hull plus engine, ballasting, flooring, insulation, battening, walling, wiring, etc.   What exactly are you getting for what seems to be a high price of £53K for a sailaway?

Lymm Boat Sales 50ft lined sailaway with electrics £67,500 so £70,000 for a 4 year old boat is about par for current prices.

Unless you have been buying new recently you have missed the big increase in prices, bare shell for £35k, basic sailways for £50k.

About five years ago, I was looking at a new lumpy water boat.  What was available for  £90,000 is now costing £140,000. This has pulled up the price of used boats, particularly recent well specified examples.  You often get extras like liferafts, electronics, fenders, warps, anchors and the like, which are all extras on a new boat.  If I wanted that boat I would buy it, subject to survey, it won't come up again.

On 04/11/2023 at 23:25, Stroudwater1 said:

The advert reads.....

Ideal for leisure or constant cursing this hi end boat is a must see please contact brokerage to arrange a viewing

Possibly one to avoid!

• Haha 3

The problem is, the only way to find out what a particular boat is worth is to see what someone else paid for it...

Practically speaking, if you happen not to want something which matches the current fashion in length, layout and interior decor then it will probably sell more slowly. That applies both when buying and when selling. It's not about the wrong price, just about finding the right buyer from a smaller pool.

Alec

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, agg221 said:

The problem is, the only way to find out what a particular boat is worth is to see what someone else paid for it...

Practically speaking, if you happen not to want something which matches the current fashion in length, layout and interior decor then it will probably sell more slowly. That applies both when buying and when selling. It's not about the wrong price, just about finding the right buyer from a smaller pool.

Alec

Eh? How can what someone else paid for something have any bearing on what it might be worth in today's market. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Eh? How can what someone else paid for something have any bearing on what it might be worth in today's market. 

Because if a boat that you like is on the market for £70k, and it sells to someone else, then you can be confident that it was a viable current market price for it. However, this is largely useless information as all you learn is what it was worth to someone else. In the end, you have to decide what a boat is worth to you.

Alec

4 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Because if a boat that you like is on the market for £70k, and it sells to someone else, then you can be confident that it was a viable current market price for it. However, this is largely useless information as all you learn is what it was worth to someone else. In the end, you have to decide what a boat is worth to you.

Alec

Oh, I see. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2023 at 09:15, kats said:

Hi,

We have been looking for our first boat for a couple of months now. One surveyed boat later and we are still looking. We originally thought we wanted 60ishfoot but have decided that for a leisure boat we probably don't need this much space. 

We have seen a boat online but is quite a distance from us. It's a 2019 48foot built by Nick Thorpe. This was first on for about 77,000 and recently reduced to 70,000. After looking at 60 footers this seems very reasonable or is this about right for a boat of this size/age? There also seems to be a lot fewer boats for sale around this length?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Katherine

For the kind of boat you are after 48' would be ideal for a number of reasons, being a new boater is just one of them.

£77K Seems v expensive to me, but if it sold timeously at £70K, that might be OK. I feel smug cos I bought mine before the market peaked, (if it has peaked)

Keep a firm grip on your wallet and a keen eye on the market, one is bound to come along soon :).

and don't forget there is nothing to be lost looking at a boat on the market at £77K, when your max is £70K.

No matter what item I want to buy, the longer I have taken to narrow my requirements,  the more difficult it becomes to buy that item. They are always in demand, this applies to everything, from afghan rugs to Zimbabwe drugs!

Edited by LadyG

On 04/11/2023 at 23:25, Stroudwater1 said:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/nick-thorpe-48-cruiser-stern-for-sale/745160

I think it’s this one?

It looks OK to me, depending what you are looking for. Four year old boat for £70k seems a reasonable price? Looks to be in good condition. 1500 hours usage of the engine. 

Composting toilet is a controversial subject- best search on here for discussions over them. 

Should people go for a pump out or cassette then?