Bow thruster tube removed and plated over

Jamesl9

Featured Posts

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question. I viewed a boat for sale today and looking through the file I noticed it was originally built in 2007 with a bow thruster tube. In 2014 the owner decided they weren't going to use the bow thruster tube and because it caused condensation on the boat, and made access to shut off taps difficult they had the tube removed and 2 plates were welded to the hull openings. Will the extra plates that were welded on be a vulnerability or have any negative effects on the hull? Thanks

Edited by Jamesl9

• Jamesl9 changed the title to Bow thruster tube removed and plated over

From the description it sounds like the tube was removed when the holes were plated. 

If its welded properly and sensible thickness like 5 or 6mm steel its not a problem. Rubbish welding or very thin steel obviously potential trouble. 

Inherently not a problem.  

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

From the description it sounds like the tube was removed when the holes were plated. 

Yes, it was done at the same time. The invoice was in the file from 2014. I can't remember exactly what the invoice said but do remember there being a note about extra reinforcement due to the location of the plates, plus the work costing £900. I'll probably have to go back for a second look.

2 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

900 dollery do dars for a bit of welding and cutting out the tube seems exorbitant.  It had better have been a good job.

It does sound expensive, however it has improved the boat so was money well spent. My longest narrowboat was only 70 feet and certainly didnt need a bow thruster, maybe bowthrusters are of use on narrowboats over 70 feet but I wouldnt know?

• Greenie 1

If you're serious about buying the boat and decide to have it surveyed your surveyor will check the plate thickness and welding just like any other part of the hull.

The other thing to check is whether the plates have been sprayfoamed on the inside. If the bow thruster tunnel created condensation before then it was in an area where warmth from the cabin could enter that space and the tunnel itself obviously wasn't sprayfoamed. The backside of the new plates (and the whole internal bow area) will be no different if it's a shared space connected to the cabin or just separated by a wooden cupboard door for example. If the steel isn't properly insulated it will sweat badly in winter - assuming you're onboard in winter with the cabin heated.

Edited by blackrose

Thet is one of those installations with the thruster tube under the rear of the well deck and only separated from the cabin by wooden lining. The type that if it leaks fills the cabin with water so one less risk having had it removed. They are also long and hard to black down the whole length. The pictures also show it was insulated. Looks like a good job.