Sheffield to Anderton on Rallentando

IanD

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

This forum has mixed feeling about volunteer lock keepers but they look to be doing a good job in Middlewich, stopping unexpected meetings on "drydock corner of doom" really helps.

All very commendable.

However IMO such events as unexpected meetings on the “dry dock corner of doom” is what makes boating interesting. Removing such events is dumbing down - in my oh so very humble opinion.

But OK ideally one could remove all possible such events by staying at home and watching one’s boat being driven around by walkie-talkie interconnected volunteers over video link. Yes I quite like that.

Edited by nicknorman

On 11/10/2023 at 12:51, nicknorman said:

Pleased for you that you have finally taken delivery of your new boat. Another advantage of the rudder is no need for extensive stern fendering.

Not too sure of your boating experience but seeing the picture of the boat tied to centreline below a lock makes me a bit nervous. I have twice nearly sunk a boat by doing that, due to strong flow from paddles getting between the boat and the lock landing, pulling bow out, boat heels to extreme angle. Fortunately only damage was stuff falling off shelves. You would have thought I would have learnt from the first time but I managed to repeat the error a few years later!

Obviously it's not going to happen at that lock, but if you get into the habit of doing that without thinking you may come unstuck. It took me about 30 years to come unstuck the first time, but nevertheless one sinking is one too many!

Very well aware of that problem, and wouldn't use a centreline if there was any risk... 😉

On 11/10/2023 at 13:52, Jon57 said:

You might have to get a new hose connector in Sowerby. There's one still on the tap in Brighouse. 👍

I just asked Charlie if he took it off when he disconnected the hose. Silence, then after checking the drawer where those adaptors live... 😉

So yes, it's ours... 😞

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

I saw a boat in one of the short pounds on the Leicester Grand Union tied only with centre line. When the boater dropped the lock the boat did exactly what @nicknorman said. Most of the items on the shelves ended up on the floor. I do use the centre line at locks but thread it doubled through a large gunwhale-height fender hanger and around a bollard. Doesn't work as well on rings.

Best of luck @IanD I hope you made it through Elland okay. Just the 92 (91) locks of the Rochdale to go then a breeze along the Bridgewater and T&M.

Elland was no problem at all, maybe a couple of feet clearance between tiller and walkway. Salterhebble was quite cosy, we didn't have to lift any fenders and just squeezed in going up -- going down we'd probably have to go backwards. But all as planned, it fitted as intended... 🙂

salterhebble.png

Currently enjoying yet another large post-prandial G&T onboard at Walsden after a long hard day of boating (25 heavy locks) from Sowerby Bridge last night -- good food at the Temujin then beers at the Navigation, thanks to @David Mack and @Midnight for the recommendations -- and for the chat and help with locks, always nice to put faces to the names... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 2

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

All very commendable.

However IMO such events as unexpected meetings on the “dry dock corner of doom” is what makes boating interesting. Removing such events is dumbing down - in my oh so very humble opinion.

But OK ideally one could remove all possible such events by staying at home and watching one’s boat being driven around by walkie-talkie interconnected volunteers over video link. Yes I quite like that.

Its a difficult one, but you've been boating for years so know more than the volockies, but there are a lot of very new boaters on the cut who don't know so much.  We have only met one stroppy volunteer this year, the rest have been good.

The unexpected meetings on bends and short pounds are usually fun but not at Middlewich, they must put anger juice in the water there 😀.

We are heading for the Rochdale and have booked the volunteer to help us up through outer Manchester, a volunteer who has more experience than even you 😀😀

and as I keep saying, the volunteers are more people involved with the canal system, and are here for only one thing........boating.

not seen any volunteers yet whose job is to help the speeding cyclists.

• Greenie 1

Volockies are helpful with the "coordinating the next lock" kind of stuff - useful at places such as Middlewich 3, where in theory you can walk ahead and see what's coming the opposite direction, or Hurleston etc, but walking ahead would take a lot of time/delay up. That's assuming an experienced boater agrees with the ethos to come out of the lock at the same time as an opposing boat, then pass in the middle of the pound.

Also its quite possible that a volockie HAS ALREADY HELPED YOU even before you arrive at a lock, by helping others so a big queue didn't develop and possibly setting the lock and opening the gates for you.

Feeling quite lucky now, we've never had a problem at the Middlewich dry dock corner.

Always checked if a boat is coming up/down and negotiated a plan for passing on the bend before leaving the lock.  Long may it continue. 🙂

13 hours ago, IanD said:

Very well aware of that problem, and wouldn't use a centreline if there was any risk... 😉

I just asked Charlie if he took it off when he disconnected the hose. Silence, then after checking the drawer where those adaptors live... 😉

So yes, it's ours... 😞

Elland was no problem at all, maybe a couple of feet clearance between tiller and walkway. Salterhebble was quite cosy, we didn't have to lift any fenders and just squeezed in going up -- going down we'd probably have to go backwards. But all as planned, it fitted as intended... 🙂

salterhebble.png

Currently enjoying yet another large post-prandial G&T onboard at Walsden after a long hard day of boating (25 heavy locks) from Sowerby Bridge last night -- good food at the Temujin then beers at the Navigation, thanks to @David Mack and @Midnight for the recommendations -- and for the chat and help with locks, always nice to put faces to the names... 🙂

That's not Elland Lock, (no walkway inside the gates) but happy to know you got through okay.

10 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

It’s Salterhebble,

I think 🤔 

Of course! @IanD did imply Salterhebble was tighter than Elland which is quite suprising. At 57ft we don't worry too much about Salterhebble Top (except for getting wet descending) even with two boats. Elland makes me nervous. Coming down with another boat it's so easy for the T-stud to drift over the walkway when the water drops and the boat is drawn forward. Madness to put the walkway inside.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Of course! @IanD did imply Salterhebble was tighter than Elland which is quite suprising. At 57ft we don't worry too much about Salterhebble Top (except for getting wet descending) even with two boats. Elland makes me nervous. Coming down with another boat it's so easy for the T-stud to drift over the walkway when the water drops and the boat is drawn forward. Madness to put the walkway inside.

Salterhebble middle seemed like the tightest, that's where the photo was from. Elland had the worst walkways by far, but we cleared them with room to spare. Going down might well be different, but we'll save that for another day... 😉

Volockies for the run down into Manchester on Sunday (Rose of Lancater to Thomas Telford) might be helpful -- is the contact via a FB group or CART?

Edited by IanD

15 minutes ago, IanD said:

Salterhebble middle seemed like the tightest, that's where the photo was from. Elland had the worst walkways by far, but we cleared them with room to spare. Going down might well be different, but we'll save that for another day... 😉

Volockies for the run down into Manchester on Sunday (Rose of Lancater to Thomas Telford) might be helpful -- is the contact via a FB group or CART?

You might have left it a bit late, there is only one volunteer on the 18, you contact CRT, CRT contacts him, then they get back to you if he is available. He is a busy man.

38 minutes ago, dmr said:

You might have left it a bit late, there is only one volunteer on the 18, you contact CRT, CRT contacts him, then they get back to you if he is available. He is a busy man.

Thanks, I'll do that. No great problem if he's busy... 😉

As long as you are not single handed you should be ok going down, the problems arise on the way up as if there is a low pound its a big project to find water to let down without making bigger problems further up.

Ideally you should do the 18 weekdays and not in school holidays.

My preference would be to push on to the Boat and Horses rather than the Rose, then make an early start on the 18.

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

As long as you are not single handed you should be ok going down, the problems arise on the way up as if there is a low pound its a big project to find water to let down without making bigger problems further up.

Ideally you should do the 18 weekdays and not in school holidays.

My preference would be to push on to the Boat and Horses rather than the Rose, then make an early start on the 18.

We'll have another look tomorrow, Rose is the plan right now but we might crack on. I thought moorings were a bit iffy at the B&H?

We have never had trouble at the B&H though I heard one boat had a stone thrown at them, but then again boats have been untied at the aqueduct.

The B&H is not the prettiest of moorings and I don't think I would leave a boat unattended, but there are lots of dog walkers and its overlooked by the pub terrace.  The Cheese pie is ok but the beer is Lees. Set of just before first light and if it goes well you will be in Manchester by lunchtime.

3 hours ago, IanD said:

1 hour ago, IanD said:

We'll have another look tomorrow, Rose is the plan right now but we might crack on. I thought moorings were a bit iffy at the B&H?

I once stopped for a pint at the B & H but it was very shallow, we had to breast up and it's noisy from the road bridge.

This is where we stayed overnight. Didn't fancy being locked in the TT arm. Seemed safe as it gets, quiet with a handy access to Morrisons and the pubs in Manchester.

moorings-m.jpg

From experience, anywhere around Piccadilly Village is safe, and that includes towpath side. 
No need to lock oneself up in the Arm.

The vast majority of footfall is folk coming and going from the metro/tram. 
The druggies are quite decent in that they don’t want to draw attention to themselves and they keep a low profile. 

A very pleasant area as things go. Several times I have spent a fortnight along there. I once dumped the boat there for a week with no trouble. 

9 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

From experience, anywhere around Piccadilly Village is safe, and that includes towpath side. 
No need to lock oneself up in the Arm.

The vast majority of footfall is folk coming and going from the metro/tram. 
The druggies are quite decent in that they don’t want to draw attention to themselves and they keep a low profile. 

A very pleasant area as things go. Several times I have spent a fortnight along there. I once dumped the boat there for a week with no trouble. 

That's what we plan to do, meeting a friend means we have to be able to get out.

Just now, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

You boat looks very secure. 
And with nothing to pinch off the top, I can’t see it being a bother mooring along there. Especially for one night. 

Which makes me wonder, have you not yet got a pole/shaft?

I don't see the point of pushing on past the Rose, Littleborough-Rose and Rose-Piccadilly are both similar time/effort -- and relatively easy days like today, not marathons like yesterday.

No I haven't got a pole/shaft and don't intend to get one, I've hardly used one in years and if I do need to push the boat sideways (the most common use for a pole) I have other ways of doing that at both ends of the boat which can push considerably harder than a boater on a pole... 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

I don't see the point of pushing on past the Rose, Littleborough-Rose and Rose-Piccadilly are both similar time/effort -- and relatively easy days like today, not marathons like yesterday.

No I haven't got a pole/shaft and don't intend to get one, I've hardly used one in years and if I do need to push the boat sideways (the most common use for a pole) I have other ways of doing that at both ends of the boat which can push considerably harder than a boater on a pole... 😉

What about a plank though?

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

fair enough,

I’ve hardly used mine either

But it’s been invaluable on the odd occasion when I have needed it. 

I’ve probably used it most for closing lock gates. 

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

What about a plank though?

ah, 

a plank 😃

now I’ve very very very rarely used mine to the point of why have one,

but I know when I get rid of it I’ll need it,