Sheffield to Anderton on Rallentando

IanD

Featured Posts

Ants are a completely different topic to diesel bug.

They like sweet things and know how to get in through very small openings and they use some sort of pheromone signalling to draw others behind them. 

Never misunderstimate the ants. 

One day they will rule the world. 

On 22/10/2023 at 15:04, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Has anything happened since the water drain off, is everything diesel fed running OK? 
 Condensation, your going to get some, this is why people have water trap filters, just keep checking it and see if it’s filling up every time you run the generator, don’t over think it or you’ll be fuel polishing your tank every time you return to the boat after a period of time not using it. How many filters have you from tank to generator?

I have one of these fitted as first filter from tank to engine and never had a problem with water/fuel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115943365015?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=V6ViuM71S7W&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=1dHCkYGlRKG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have similar on mine they work well, mine has a washable filter which is handy, its also clear so I can see water if its present 

Great stuff! Love reading about your travels, we've learned a lot from boaters like yourselves. Haven't ventured up on the Northern canals yet, but maybe next year.

There are a couple of boaters whose journeys we follow on Facebook as well that are also full of helpful info and pics.

On 23/10/2023 at 21:02, peterboat said:

I have similar on mine they work well, mine has a washable filter which is handy, its also clear so I can see water if its present 

This is the one I was talking about...

fuel filter.jpg

On 23/10/2023 at 18:22, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I was thinking/considering perhaps a day tank. 
But then you gotta fill it each day from Jerry cans. 
Ok if you got the old working boat with an engine room. 
But I can’t see a leisure boater wanting to take their slippers off after every breakfast to do that. 
I certainly wouldn’t. 

How big/small is/was a day tank on a boat?

Ive always thought they’d be about 2-3 gallon. 🤷‍♀️Enough for a long day and a bit more 

No Jerry cans involved. Ours is connected to the main tank with a semi-rotary manual pump, in the engine room right under the day tank, so a perfectly suitable operation to perform in one's slippers. Refilling takes no more than a couple of minutes. Our day tank is about 2 gallons which will do a normal day but not a very long day (probably about 12hrs of normal running). We tend to top up around lunch time, at the same time as checking the drip oilers.

In many respects, ours is the polar opposite of Ian's boat. This is based on personal preference - I like things I can fix (or at least lash up) when they go wrong and I am better at doing that with mechanical systems. There are times when I am alone on the boat when I don't turn on the battery isolator.

Alec

• Greenie 2