Alan Firth

davidwheeler

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Nebulae was at the 1984 Hawkesbury National Rally and I believe the conversion/ refurbishment had just been completed.

It seems odd to me to simplify the setting and reposition the engine house to suggest an 'ethnic' canal scene, but then not to at least pretend that Nebulae was a butty under tow. I find it an irritating contradiction.

4 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

It seems odd to me to simplify the setting and reposition the engine house to suggest an 'ethnic' canal scene, but then not to at least pretend that Nebulae was a butty under tow. I find it an irritating contradiction.

The painting of Nebulae is dated 1987. Previous posters have suggested that the conversion took  place in either 1984 or 1985, if they are correct, the painting is also a correct depiction.

I've not said it was incorrect - simply that to pose a converted butty without towline in a picture supposedly of an ethnic canal scene is jarring to my eyes. If he wished to avoid incorrectness the engine house would not be there.

Edited by Tam & Di

2 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I've not said it was incorrect - simply that to pose a converted butty without towline in a picture supposedly of an ethnic canal scene is jarring to my eyes. If he wished to avoid incorrectness the engine house would not be there.

Fair enough, except that the addition of a tow rope would have compounded the artistic licence inaccuracies.

It is just a painting at the end of the day. The knowledgable will know there 'should' be a line, but if painted in, it would have led out of the picture frame and from an artistic point of view, spoilt the image by leaving an unseen object just out of sight. In doing so, drawing the eye away from the main subject.

Edited by Derek R.

9 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I noted the clothes and the evident lack of a load which is what made it look odd to me. I assumed the tow rope had been omitted and didn’t consider that it was a modern image of a motorised butty.

No harm in a bit of artistic licence and I’ll bet we’d all have to check if the engine house is visible from the artist’s viewpoint.

Not sure what makes it “ethnic” but it is north Coventry.

On 13/10/2023 at 10:21, ditchcrawler said:

The top one would make a cracking jigsaw

Thelwell obviously liked upsetting fishermen 🙂

Thelwell Trawling.JPG

On 27/01/2024 at 10:59, David Schweizer said:

The painting of Nebulae is dated 1987. Previous posters have suggested that the conversion took  place in either 1984 or 1985, if they are correct, the painting is also a correct depiction.

Picture of Nebulae under way at the 1988 Canalway Cavalcade, seem to remember that it was owned by Michael Samuelson of film lighting fame

neb.jpg

On 27/01/2024 at 08:54, nealeST said:

Whilst I’m not a huge fan of the characterisation of Thelwell his drawing, composition and colour is faultless. He was an absolute master. That picture is a treasure. Did he do anymore canal stuff or is this a one off? Really not into his famous horse and pony stuff even though his great technical skill is obvious. Would love to see a Giles canal themed picture…😀

Another Thelwell 🙂

Punch Front cover 17 April 1963.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The S Oxford

image.png.8ab0761aa0dc4af95ef3274e4887d102.png

Last pic of that i saw it had some sort of kennels constructed on the right-hand side of it, about where that brown patch of grass is near top of pic 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

And another 🙂

Waterways May June 1956.jpg

An exceptionally accurate and detailed drawing from a cartoonist -- did Thelwell have any particular knowledge of or interest in the canals, or was he just very observant?

11 minutes ago, Mike Nicoll said:

Clearly not Alan Firth!

Indeed not. We seem to have moved on to other artists. This hangs at the back of our living room.

Alec

IMG_0625.jpeg

I’ll go with the one Alec just put up,

nothing sentimental or ‘twee’ about that picture,

simply a lovely water colour,

should definitely stick that on the where am I thread,

where is it?

Makes me think top of Factory locks but 🤷‍♀️

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

12 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Yet another Thelwell, assume that there was a news article behind it?

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9dbe8dee0bd43cc5490a0f73999342.jpeg

Probably his 1967 speech to the house whilst in opposition.

https://www.ukpol.co.uk/peter-walker-1967-speech-on-the-governments-transport-policy/

To paraphrase

"One of the most fundamental needs is an improvement in the road building programme, but we see the Minister complacently going up and down the country boasting that at the moment expenditure on road building is higher than it has ever been in our history. This is a boast which every Minister of Transport has been able to make every year since 1950, but the real test of the Minister’s performance—and that of the Government—is to see how the right hon. Lady has carried out the road building programme which she inherited."