Alan Firth

davidwheeler

Featured Posts

On 04/02/2024 at 18:43, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I meant to ask the date. 

Is it an orignal water colour?

Or a print? 

I’m quite jealous.

It is an original, and there are no prints of it (in fact, the picture on this thread is the first time anyone has ever seen it beyond the artist and his wife, and visitors to my house).

It was painted for me by Garth Allan in about 2003 to record an event from around 1967. After icebreaking was abandoned in 1963, the BCN ice boats were gathered up at Bradley and eventually sold off, most of them passing through the hands of Alan Picken at Stoke Prior. Alan Picken bought the first batch of three, along with the burnt out motor (Neptune?) and and Garth Allan towed them down to Stoke Prior in exchange for a repaint on his own boat. Apparently they towed perfectly in a straight line. One of the ice boats was Samson which I now have.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 2

18 hours ago, agg221 said:

It is an original, and there are no prints of it (in fact, the picture on this thread is the first time anyone has ever seen it beyond the artist and his wife, and visitors to my house).

It was painted for me by Garth Allan in about 2003 to record an event from around 1967. After icebreaking was abandoned in 1963, the BCN ice boats were gathered up at Bradley and eventually sold off, most of them passing through the hands of Alan Picken at Stoke Prior. Alan Picken bought the first batch of three, along with the burnt out motor (Neptune?) and and Garth Allan towed them down to Stoke Prior in exchange for a repaint on his own boat. Apparently they towed perfectly in a straight line. One of the ice boats was Samson which I now have.

Alec

Was this the Barlow's Neptune which Seymore Roseblades then had?

What were the circumstances of the fire please?

Neptune on the Severn.jpg

On 05/02/2024 at 21:17, agg221 said:

Alan Picken bought the first batch of three, along with the burnt out motor (Neptune?) 

Alec

7 hours ago, Ray T said:

Was this the Barlow's Neptune which Seymore Roseblades then had?

What were the circumstances of the fire please?

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

The late Laurence Hogg had NEPTUNE for a while, and often asked what had become of the boat.

alec says "(Neptune?)", which means it might or might not be neptune - which it aint. picken got naughty lass

17 minutes ago, spud said:

alec says "(Neptune?)", which means it might or might not be neptune - which it aint. picken got naughty lass

Thank you - I got the correct first letter but not having looked at the letter which goes with the painting in 20yrs I hadn't got the rest of it right. The letter is in the loft and I don't want to go and see what else may be lurking up there until I have to! It also ties in as HNBC lists Nautilus as a burnt out wreck c,1964.

Alec