Beta 43 / PRM 150 Combination

canute

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you can struggle once to remove the drain plug, you can replace it with a black iron male elbow and then extend that with a socket and plug. Next time it will be easy.

Extend the back iron elbow with some hose and a valve and T it in to the engine sump hand pump after the on/off valve for the engine sump to make it even easier. One day I will actually do this, as I'm a messy pup and always spill at least some oil.

21 hours ago, canute said:

Some power units have a diverter valve on the drain from the engine sump and the gearbox drain "plugs" to the same brass pump enabling either or both to be emptied.

Given that Beta recommends the same oil and service intervals on a Beta 43/PRM150 combo a dual pump would be ideal and time saving.

My 2020 Beta43 / PRM150 came with both gearbox and engine connected to the same sump pump with a valve on each pipe. When I told the boat fitter that I wanted this he said it was standard now.

47 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Weird, I can not imagine messing with a Pela and not simply pumping it out.

Using the pump you have to hold a container under the pump and risk spilling some. With the Pela you just pump it out and it does it all itself and contains the mess.

Using the Pela also enables you to have a beer whilst it fills.😎

5 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Using the pump you have to hold a container under the pump and risk spilling some. With the Pela you just pump it out and it does it all itself and contains the mess.

Sad that beer is soooo important.

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, anyone unable to manage that probably shouldn't really be fiddling with anything mechanical.

Quite right.  Anybody in less than perfect physical shape, or who has a dislike of holding a container perched in an awkward space, or who has a dislike of spilt oil, shouldn't be fiddling with anything mechanical.  Or boats.  Or existing really.

18 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Using the pump you have to hold a container under the pump and risk spilling some.

Or attach a pipe to the pump output, with a jubilee clip to hold it in place, and put the other end in whatever container you have to hold the old oil.

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Quite right.  Anybody in less than perfect physical shape, or who has a dislike of holding a container perched in an awkward space, or who has a dislike of spilt oil, shouldn't be fiddling with anything mechanical.  Or boats.  Or existing really.

Well I probably wouldn't go quite that far... :D

• Happy 1

On 30/09/2023 at 14:52, GUMPY said:

I find an empty 5 litre oil container fits nicely between the baseplate and the outlet of my hand pump on my boat, so no need to hold ad no risk of spillage. :)

On 30/09/2023 at 09:58, Tracy D'arth said:

Sad that beer is soooo important.

Agree on that, but he is spot on for the rest.

I use a Pela for the car. It's only the changing of the oil filter that can leave a mess. But if you are careful, even that shouldn't. 

The Pela has a lovely spout so no mess when pouring. 

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, anyone unable to manage that probably shouldn't really be fiddling with anything mechanical.

No, what's being said is the Pela makes it so much easier and less risk.