Looking for a Map/book Recommendation for Birmingham.

Pete_M

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am looking for a Map/ or Book recommendation for doing the canals of Birmingham. 
In October, we are planning a holiday to do the Four Counties Ring and have the "Pearson & son Canal Companion" book for that.
As we have some extra time, we were thinking of doing some days into Birmingham.
Does anyone know of or can recommend a book/map we can purchase as a guide for doing some days on the Birmingham Canals.
We think we will be on the "Old Man Line" but are looking for a map of the canals of the Birmingham area.

Welcome to the form. Glad to hear you are planning to spend time on the BCN. So many people don't and it is an interesting place. To get an overall idea of what canals go where and their different levels, I bought the Heron map. It made a complex network more clear in my mind.

Jen

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

There are lots of “guides” online, and it is well covered by Nicholsons Guide 2

Nicholson 2 (Severn, Avon & Birmingham) covers Brum and district much better than Nicholson 3 (Birmingham & Heart of England), even though they both have Birmingham in the name and book 3 puts Birmingham first.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Nicholson 2 (Severn, Avon & Birmingham) covers Brum and district much better than Nicholson 3 (Birmingham & Heart of England), even though they both have Birmingham in the name and book 3 puts Birmingham first.

Yes I specifically said 2, as it’s not obvious which one covers the whole BCN.  Guide 3 only covers the Main Line basically, but guide 2 has the whole on the BCN.

17 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Welcome to the form. Glad to hear you are planning to spend time on the BCN. So many people don't and it is an interesting place. To get an overall idea of what canals go where and their different levels, I bought the Heron map. It made a complex network more clear in my mind.

Jen

Thanks for the tip Jen!

A heads up from the Colonies, shipping is twice the cost of the book but it only came to two sawbucks.

For non GenX and those not in America, a sawbuck is an x shaped frame used to hold wood for sawing. The X shape forms the roman numeral for 10. Sawbuck was old timey slang for a 10 dollar bill. I spend some time here looking up words, acronyms and slang that I am unfamiliar with. I right enjoyed adding some colonial slang but I feel as a guest here so I deciphered it for everyone!

Cheers!!

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Frankgh said:

Thanks for the tip Jen!

A heads up from the Colonies, shipping is twice the cost of the book but it only came to two sawbucks.

For non GenX and those not in America, a sawbuck is an x shaped frame used to hold wood for sawing. The X shape forms the roman numeral for 10. Sawbuck was old timey slang for a 10 dollar bill. I spend some time here looking up words, acronyms and slang that I am unfamiliar with. I right enjoyed adding some colonial slang but I feel as a guest here so I deciphered it for everyone!

Cheers!!

So your telling us that 2 sawbucks is a Bobby?

(Bobby Moore - score)

If you are planning on spending some time exploring the BCN, can I suggest heading off the New Main Line, which is very straight and not very interesting. A few things which might appeal as ideas:

Head down through Netherton Tunnel. The south side is surprisingly green and pleasant. Whilst there, if you have time, head off left down the Dudley No.2 to experience Gosty Hill Tunnel (yes, your boat does fit, but at times you will think it isn't going to!) and on to Hawne Basin, through the remains of Coombeswood Tube Works.

If you have time, heading along the Wyrley and Essington makes an interesting alternative to the main line. You would need to join it either by heading down the Birmingham and Fazeley/Tame Valley/Rushall or up the Walsall. The former would allow you to head up to Anglesey Basin which is an extremely peaceful spot whereas the latter gives you a sense of the old BCN as you pass through Ryder's Green locks.

Even if you just pass straight through, I would choose the Old Main Line in preference to the New Main Line - much more interesting. You could also stop at the Black Country Museum.

Whichever way you go, the BCN has a whole lot more to offer than the extremely dull straight through route of the New Main Line!

Alec

• Greenie 3

I much prefer using the Old Line although sometimes I do a combination of Factory, Brades, to take in the staircase, Spon Lane and Smethwick so a bit of a mixture of old and new.  Plus diversions around the Soho loop and Icknield Port loop.