Did yfou know??

bigcol

Featured Posts

Did you know?  

The whole british Canal network 
Buildings, tunnels bridges etc etc the canal it self, dug out by hand took  60 years in total!!!

picks axes and of course Bread!!

But it took from  1759 to the early 1770's and from 1789 to almost the end of the eighteenth century. 

CRT hasn’t dredged 1/2 a mile!!  In 15 years
In fact does make CRT management look stupid don’t you think?

Reading the above as I wrote it, I do understand that my grammar and spelling makes heavy reading

i do apologize for this. Some people from this site know the reasons.

But the main excuse is I failed my 11+ 😂 

Edited by bigcol

24 minutes ago, PNB116 said:

This would suggest otherwise. Unless you have other evidence?

It seems that looking at google, I never grasped what I was reading.

but it’s total building time was 60 years

i apologize for the wrong infomation,

PNB116, Thank you for nudging me to check my facts.   Thank you

The 1790s saw ‘canal mania’, a period of feverish canal building. A total of 34 canals were approved between 1791 and 1793 alone, though not all those canals were completed and some were never even started. However, this was the golden age of British canals, offering around 4,000 miles of navigable waterways.

We then enter what many refer to as the Golden Age of British canals—the 60-year period from 1770 to 1830. More specifically, the period between 1790 and 1810 was even dubbed Canal Mania. During this period, in particular, the UK canal system was subject to a substantial rise in building work.

And how much money was being pumped in to these new canal schemes at the time to see them built with the investors expecting a healthy return compared to how much money CRT get today to maintain...?

And as for dredging I know Coventry canal has been dredged, bits of the Staffs and Worcs have been dredged, Gloucester docks has been dredged.

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They did start dredging just North of here about 5years ago, however, they were using a new company with employees who had never been on a boat before, and dredging was abandoned after fish started dying in masses.

But the OP stated that Crt have not dredged. Which seeing as Crt got rid of dredging staff and it is done by someone else then he would be correct

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s done under contract (and the contractor may or may not sub-contract) but that’s irrelevant as CRT are accountable.

Yes I know but the op is quoting NABO and how they see it to fit in with their argument 

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yes I know but the op is quoting NABO and how they see it to fit in with their argument 

Oh, right. They’re obviously imbeciles. I shan’t join them.

(Although I haven’t seen that source in the thread)

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Oh, right. They’re obviously imbeciles. I shan’t join them.

A bit unfair to say they are imbeciles Anne works very hard and more or less instigated the #fundBritain'swaterway campaign. I did join this year, but regrettably not entirely my cup of tea so won't be renewing.

16 minutes ago, Midnight said:

A bit unfair to say they are imbeciles Anne works very hard and more or less instigated the #fundBritain'swaterway campaign. I did join this year, but regrettably not entirely my cup of tea so won't be renewing.

It’s possibly totally unfair.

Did NABO really directly say that CRT haven’t dredged even a single half mile of the system?

On reflection that seems unlikely.

31 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s possibly totally unfair.

Did NABO really directly say that CRT haven’t dredged even a single half mile of the system?

On reflection that seems unlikely.

Given CRT dredged 18 miles of canal, NABO were correct if they said they didn't dredge half a mile :) 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Why let the facts get on the way of a good rant?

From CRT's most recent Annual Report:

Screenshot_20230920-093542_Drive.jpg.c9bd192e01e778f6a8287720f73e6ddd.jpg

As always with statistics, be careful about what you are seeing: it says 18 miles dredged across 18 miles of waterway. Since some of the projects IIRC were spot dredging, it may be that less that 18 miles of canal were dredged. But we cannot tell from that para alone.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

It was on Facebook in the Canal & Rivers group and had the source

Had a look on Facebook and can't find it. If I find it I'll post it direct on here. Perhaps @bigcol can post the original on here.

The South Oxford canal Napton Junction to the locks was dredged last autumn 

1 minute ago, bigcol said:

Hi Tonka

how are you,

zooooommmmmmm it went right over my head that, and far far away 😂 

What is it you would like me to repost?

what ever it is, it will be done m8ty

col

I am doing fine thank you, hope you are doing OK. 

Could you post where you got the bit about Crt not dredging 1/2 mile of canal in 15 years. I am sure that I saw it on Facebook before you posted it on here but now cannot find it.

Many thanks 

Hi ya again

i have been here in the same place since 2009, in Milton Keynes

freinds of ours Rob and Julie on their narrow boat, been in Milton keynes longer.

I know as a FACT, THERES BEEN NO DREDGING AT ALL EVER SINCE WEVE BEEN HERE

ROB Smith, use to be somthing to do with the canal group, in Milton Keynes.

boaters will know the vegetation is very very bad in places, with this and the depth situation 

opposite us, boats have problems getting close to, or have problem getting off.

what I can say categorically confirm, is No dredging has be done here from 2009, before that

ive been told by other Moorers here, that no dredging has been done for years before then.`

ps I had photos of the stretch of water, from google and it showed the shallows, all along this section of water.

boats are always getting stuck on the other side

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

Hi ya again

freinds of ours Rob and Julie on their narrow boat, been in Milton keynes longer.

boaters will know the vegetation is very very bad in places, with this and the depth situation 

what I can say categorically confirm, is No dredging has be done here from 2009, before that

ive been told by other Moorers here, that no dredging has been done for years before. 

2 hours ago, bigcol said:

Hi ya again

ive been told by other Moorers here, that no dredging has been done for years before then.`

ps I had photos of the stretch of water, from google and it showed the shallows, all along this section of water.

boats are always getting stuck on the other side

IMG_3801.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

Hi ya again

ive been told by other Moorers here, that no dredging has been done for years before. 

But where did the statement you posted come from or if it is your own work have you posted it somewhere else as I am sure I saw it yesterday and now it is bugging me where I saw it

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That was abandoned as well die to fish dying

Are you sure as it seemed to be going well when we went to the Folly one day. Couldn't stay as the people from the permanent moorings there were being moved over to the towpath side so we moved back towards Braunston