Fire lit yet

Annie cariad

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've never really understood this heating by calendar thing that some people do. If it's cold, warm the place up a bit.

^^^This^^^

Also, if its warm when the date for lighting the stove arrives, will the light-by-date-ers still insist on lighting it? 

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

You light the fire it you need heat and if not then you don't light it. 

It seems natural to do it like that. 

This is why, to me at least, it makes sense to have a fire which will provide heat fast when lit and lose the heat fast when you stop fueling it. 

Any other way of operating the appliance is liable to cause issues with being too warm or spending too much money on fuel which isn't needed. 

Maybe I am unusual in that I do actually like experiencing the cold and having a demand for heat and solving the heating problem. I would never be able to live in a place with automatic heating. It just seems wrong. 

6 hours ago, sigsegv said:

I see what you mean, and I don't think you're alone. There is a certain joy, maybe some type of base desire to feel the cold and do something about it thus becoming warm.

Me too. Some youth when I was working called me neanderthal. Probably right in a way. Must go now and find something to kill to feed the family for a month and make some winter clothes from the their carcases. 😁

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Heating is on in my hovel this evening, I dont do cold.

Still too hot in our house for the heating. Still got the windows and doors open to cool it down 😀

It's usually around November time that the heating starts to kick in. It's on a thermostat year round so will come on when it drops cold enough.

Was 24 degrees in the hallway this morning which is a cooler part of the house.

Not had the heating on in the van yet although we were tempted on Saturday morning as it did drop a tad chilly overnight. By the time we had had a cuppa it had warmed up enough to not bother.

Edited by Naughty Cal

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still too hot in our house for the heating. Still got the windows and doors open to cool it down 😀

It's usually around November time that the heating starts to kick in. It's on a thermostat year round so will come on when it drops cold enough.

Was 24 degrees in the hallway this morning which is a cooler part of the house.

Not had the heating on in the van yet although we were tempted on Saturday morning as it did drop a tad chilly overnight. By the time we had had a cuppa it had warmed up enough to not bother.

You probably have a modern house that benefits you during the winter. However when I go to my youngest daughters modern house in the middle of summer its vile and extremely hot, it seems unable to cool properly. Even on the hottest vile days above 30 degrees our house never gets above 22 degrees in any room so is never too hot. Heating on now as room temp was down to just over 20 this morning and I aint sitting freezing to death at 20 degrees.

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You probably have a modern house that benefits you during the winter. However when I go to my youngest daughters modern house in the middle of summer its vile and extremely hot, it seems unable to cool properly. Even on the hottest vile days above 30 degrees our house never gets above 22 degrees in any room so is never too hot. Heating on now as room temp was down to just over 20 this morning and I aint sitting freezing to death at 20 degrees.

Yep. Overheating in modern new-build homes is a thing now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-into-overheating-in-new-homes

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I've been to the butcher for half a pound of Lincoln red stewing beef, added red onions , carrots, stock, tomatoes, potatoes,  plus garlic and a bit of what thought was soy sauce, but was teriyaki, I must get some worcestershire sauce. Trying dumpling mix, I think there enough in the pot for three hungry people, its burbling on the stove, weather is not unpleasant, just interesting.

I've added a tablespoon of bottled ale, St Austell Tribute, which is quite quaffable even at 11.00 am. :).

temp outside about 19C, and 27 C inside. Toasty.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've been to the butcher for half a pound of Lincoln red stewing beef, added red onions , carrots, stock, tomatoes, potatoes,  plus garlic and a bit of what thought was soy sauce, but was teriyaki, I must get some worcestershire sauce. Trying dumpling mix, I think there enough in the pot for three hungry people, its burbling on the stove, weather is not unpleasant, just interesting.

I've added a tablespoon of bottled ale, St Austell Tribute, which is quite quaffable even at 11.00 am. :)

Get youself a bottle of Hendersons relish 🤪

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

My flat is still to hot, but not a modern over insulated building, it was built in 1903 for the Co op.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep. Our house is terrible when it is hot in the summer (not been a problem this year!) not helped by every room having a south facing window :rolleyes:

Really comes into it's own in spring, autumn and winter though.