Pollution urgent !

waterworks

Featured Posts

I've seen diesel and oil in the cut loads of times over the yars but never thought it was notifiable. Sometimes it stinks the area out for a while. 

I think if it is notifiable someone will probably report it. 

Is there a sunken boat around ? 

6 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

An egg cup full will cover a huge area.

Yes I remember working for an oil man worked on a rig and he said they don't bother about spillages of light oil such as diesel. He reckoned a lot of old tosh is written about diesel pollution because it evaporates away in a few days if you just wait. Mind you this was 30 years ago at least. 

Later, I thought the action of the waves must help this a lot.

I read somewhere that 1 litre of petrol on water will form a slick of around 6000 square meters....about 600 meters of 10 meter wide canal. Diesel is a bit thicker than petrol but not much, so we're literally talking about a cup full probably. I find spraying soapy water in it disperses it quite effectively. 

14 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Well it all about the wild life really 

Think about the paddle boarders. It must be awful packing your inflatable SUP back in the car when it's been through a diesel slick.  

Edited by booke23

36 minutes ago, waterworks said:

Forget it now , too late, mods please delete this post. 

I should have known better to post it on here.

Why is it too late?   You can email them or call (EA).

Diesel can evaporate from water, but its hardly a suitable pollution control mechanism - on still water, with limited flow I'm not sure how effective that would be.  

10 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

An egg cup full will cover a huge area.

Why would somebody have an egg cup full of diesel on there boat ?

For pollution incidents the EA will be interested if it is coming from a boat because of the size of the tanks. 

If it is an isolated lump of diesel on the water then perhaps not but if there is a feed from somewhere then it could be serious. Even something like an old steel 205 litre drum which has corroded and is slowly leaking oil. 

Or a sunken boat. 

15 hours ago, waterworks said:

Can someone report Diesel in the water around Soulbury Three Locks on the Grand Union, near Milton Keynes ( Post code MK179DD,)  it's at least 100 metres long oil spill, I dont have my phone on me at the moment. 

So how did you post this item?