Paint Problems

Featured Posts

Hi all please see pics below. A couple of years ago we tried POLYTROL paint reviver, used as instructions and went on great and looked great  until. …..

you have too wipe it off with a lint free cloth and  this is what we are left with. We have tried Mer, Polish and buffing but nothing seems to work. 
any ideas, apart from a repaint. TIA

IMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.7522def567a67932e19b9794209564db.jpeg

10 minutes ago, nickfryer said:

I tried on a small cover on the back deck and no improvement at all, sort of went all crackly/sparky finish 

Hmm, I think you are stuffed. There is another thread on here, quite recent where someone else posted a photo of their boat with a similar effect from, I think, the same product. No-one had any answers.

Have you asked the manu about it? 

42 minutes ago, nickfryer said:

Hi all please see pics below. A couple of years ago we tried POLYTROL paint reviver, used as instructions and went on great and looked great  until. …..

you have too wipe it off with a lint free cloth and  this is what we are left with. We have tried Mer, Polish and buffing but nothing seems to work. 
any ideas, apart from a repaint. TIA

IMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.7522def567a67932e19b9794209564db.jpeg

don’t repaint, 

might look  bad to you,

but paint’s doing it’s job regardless,

no rust is there?

try it again and take your time,

looks to me like you rushed it. 
🤷‍♀️

14FB7BE4-4480-4014-A5BF-B86F9DD33678.jpeg

This is good stuff

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

don’t repaint, 

might look  bad to you,

but paint’s doing it’s job regardless,

no rust is there?

try it again and take your time,

looks to me like you rushed it. 
🤷‍♀️

14FB7BE4-4480-4014-A5BF-B86F9DD33678.jpeg

This is good stuff

I agree. I used Farecla G3 on my boat and brought up the fading blue paintwork nicely. It is however quite aggressive and can leave swirl marks that can only be got out by using the less aggressive Farecla G10.

This sounds stupid but we have the same problem, its caused by some of paint softening.

There is one solution but its temporary.

Put baby oil on it and wipe off.

Lasts about 2 weeks.

Other than that sand off and overcoat.

Dont polish  t cut or varnish it it doesnt work, the issue appears to be the ratio of pigmentation of the paint has altered.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I agree. I used Farecla G3 on my boat and brought up the fading blue paintwork nicely. It is however quite aggressive and can leave swirl marks that can only be got out by using the less aggressive Farecla G10.

I’ve done it one side and the green’s  come up really well. 

I used plenty of water to wet the surface and then rubbed the stuff in with more water. 
Keep the surface wet is what I found  works, using a little spray bottle

of water. 
Then when it’s dry finish off with a polish. 

Never used the product, watched a couple of videos. In one, the guy reckons it smells like the linseed oil he used, mixed with white spirits. Try some white spirits on a test area. See if it can reduced the effect left by the Owatrol product. I would also give the boat a few good washes with a boat soap, then possibly use something like International Marine polish. Apart from that, I think it's always a good idea to try unfamiliar products like the Polytrol on test areas.  

In some way, the Polytrol needs to be dissolved and removed from the surface. If you have some, apply it to another surface and see what works to remove it. Nothing too harsh, you need to protect your paintwork, in the end.

Edited by Higgs

I recently tried carnauba wax on my very faded paintwork. It worked really well on the green but the one panel of maroon I tried it on looked a bit like the OP's photo albeit not as bad.

I had already tried another maroon panel with Johnson's baby oil and it looked much better. I knew this would not last as long but it was a fraction of the price and about a quarter of the effort.

I then went over the waxed panel with baby oil and it looked a lot better.

Worth a try on a small test area. It's cheap, currently £1.50 for 100ml or £2.90 for 500ml in Tesco.

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

I recently tried carnauba wax on my very faded paintwork. It worked really well on the green but the one panel of maroon I tried it on looked a bit like the OP's photo albeit not as bad.

I had already tried another maroon panel with Johnson's baby oil and it looked much better. I knew this would not last as long but it was a fraction of the price and about a quarter of the effort.

I then went over the waxed panel with baby oil and it looked a lot better.

Worth a try on a small test area. It's cheap, currently £1.50 for 100ml or £2.90 for 500ml in Tesco.

The bit that always puzzles me about baby oil, is how they get the oil out of the babies without damaging them. 

21 minutes ago, MtB said:

The bit that always puzzles me about baby oil, is how they get the oil out of the babies without damaging them. 

It’s quite obvious that initially they kept the s at the start of the product denoting  it’s origin  but the marketing department removed it. 

I agree Farecla G10 and G3  is great stuff but our circular application made swirly circular marks. When we did random size figure of eight applications it looked fine. 

Used Polytrol on our boat a couple of years ago. Did as you’ve done & wiped off with a cloth, only about a third of one side though. Not the best result I agree so continued the rest without wiping, that worked ok. Read the instructions thoroughly & came to the conclusion that the wiping off is only for plastic surfaces not paint. Did it again this year & it improved the last attempt as well as the rest of the cabin sides. It does restore the colour but only the finish slightly. Painted it on until it stopped running & left it alone as long as possible, ie days. 
Fred.