Weed in Leeds and Liverpool canal

Fruitcake Alison

Featured Posts

On 21/08/2023 at 17:07, Psychalist said:

Send them north, in the interest of levelling up 😀

Theŕ was one on the Chesterfield last week, pretty much useless, not even digging down to prop level, bearing in mind the weed is green slime, and the canal is about 30" deep.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/environment/weed-removal-to-take-place-on-wigans-canal-as-plant-upsurge-is-blamed-on-climate-change-4264776

20 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Granary Wharf is best bet and usually plenty of space. Quite a reasonable vibe with bars but gets quiet after about 8pm .Above Office lock to Newlay is advised against (by lock keepers) for mooring overnight. Newlay shuts at 4pm and River lock is open 1-3pm

...oh and to add, there is little chance of mooring in Leeds (Clarence) Dock with only 4 spaces. Worth timing it so you have a choice to get up River Lock if there isn't space. Walk over by the Royal Armouries whilst doing Leeds Lock to check if there's space as the turn is tight and it is worth avoiding the river taxis.

Does that include the Kirkstall Brewery VMs? Look OK from photos and location...

Edited by IanD

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Does that include the Kirkstall Brewery VMs?

Apparently so. Looked ok to us too during the day. All manner of joggers, commuters, dog walkers and cyclists. It changes in the evening when they've all gone home. Then you may see hoodies and balaclava clad youths who race around on electric motor bikes. Lockie said something about 'county lines' and other worrying tales. Don't be put off though, I don't think their mischief or business includes boats, though I think the idea is to not create any opportunity, as with most crimes.

Thanks for the link to the news about weed collectors. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Certain bends around Burnley and Nelson are particularly bad for weed accumulating rubbish, so one ends up not so much with a prop foul but grinding to a halt because of what's on the bow. Again, don't let that put anyone off as there's still plenty of pleasurable canal to be had.

Came up the Wolverhampton 21 today heading for the Black Country Museum. Water crystal clear, but full of weed. The blanket weed being the worst. Even judicial reverse every 100 m didn't prevent an engine stall when something more substantial got tangled in the mess. Thus far no weed hatch exploration,yet!

At least you can see the plastic bags!

23 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Apparently so. Looked ok to us too during the day. All manner of joggers, commuters, dog walkers and cyclists. It changes in the evening when they've all gone home. Then you may see hoodies and balaclava clad youths who race around on electric motor bikes. Lockie said something about 'county lines' and other worrying tales. Don't be put off though, I don't think their mischief or business includes boats, though I think the idea is to not create any opportunity, as with most crimes.

Thanks for the link to the news about weed collectors. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Certain bends around Burnley and Nelson are particularly bad for weed accumulating rubbish, so one ends up not so much with a prop foul but grinding to a halt because of what's on the bow. Again, don't let that put anyone off as there's still plenty of pleasurable canal to be had.

I also found this in the CART online guides:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/boatersguides/1_Aire_and_Calder_Navigation.pdf

Office Lock to Newlay Lock: Locks are
locked overnight during the boating season,
first and last passage times are 8.15am to
3pm.

If that's true, it means all you can do is go up through River Lock (arriving before 3pm...) into Granary Wharf and then moor there overnight -- not such a bad thing, just there's no choice... 😉

Edited by IanD

True, but at least going up you can have done a decent day's cruise before resting in Granary Wharf. It's slower going up to Newlay, but faster down from there, so if you get the first lock down you'll be in Granary Wharf in time for coffee and lunch, only getting on the river after 1pm. It's worth stopping overnight either way - there's no point rushing (or planning too much either, levels rise, locks close etc.) Have the knowledge and prepare to be flexible.

14 hours ago, Psychalist said:

True, but at least going up you can have done a decent day's cruise before resting in Granary Wharf. It's slower going up to Newlay, but faster down from there, so if you get the first lock down you'll be in Granary Wharf in time for coffee and lunch, only getting on the river after 1pm. It's worth stopping overnight either way - there's no point rushing (or planning too much either, levels rise, locks close etc.) Have the knowledge and prepare to be flexible.

I'm going the other way though (E==>W), hope to be at the Steampacket in Knottingley the previous evening. Should be possible to get to River Lock before 3pm given an early start, then up through it and moor at Granary Wharf. Planned following night at the Fisherman's at Dowley Gap, then Skipton VM, Barrowford VM, Eanam Wharf, Red House VM, Astley Bridge #58, Lymm VM, Anderton.

Any comments gratefully received, in particular on stops on the western section of the L&L -- it's a *very* long time since I last did this... 😉

Plan needed to fit in with availability of crew (son and GF), if it takes longer they can get the train back home and we can carry on. All subject to change if there are unexpected problems or delays, as always... 😉

P.S. Can't find any definitive opening times for Bingley 3/5 rise on the CART website (apart from old ones) or anywhere else -- anyone know? Went in at the bottom about 9am last time IIRC...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

P.S. Can't find any definitive opening times for Bingley 3/5 rise on the CART website (apart from old ones) or anywhere else -- anyone know? Went in at the bottom about 9am last time IIRC...

From Friday 4 August, the following lock flights will be open with the following opening times:

Bingley 3 & 5 Rise locks.

Morning                                

Passages down the lock flights 8am until 10am, last entry at 9am.  Passages up the lock flights 10am until 12pm, last entry at 11am.

Afternoon                                 

Passages down the lock flight 1pm until 3pm, last entry at 2pm.  Passages up the lock flight 3pm until 5pm, last entry at 4pm.

Newlay, Forge & Kirkstall locks

Will be available for self-operation between the hours of 8am and 4pm daily. However, there will be roving lock keepers between Leeds & Newlay to offer assistance through the locks if required.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24512-leeds-and-liverpool-canal-lock-flight-operating-times-2023 updated 2 August 2023.

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

From Friday 4 August, the following lock flights will be open with the following opening times:

Bingley 3 & 5 Rise locks.

Morning                                

Passages down the lock flights 8am until 10am, last entry at 9am.  Passages up the lock flights 10am until 12pm, last entry at 11am.

Afternoon                                 

Passages down the lock flight 1pm until 3pm, last entry at 2pm.  Passages up the lock flight 3pm until 5pm, last entry at 4pm.

Newlay, Forge & Kirkstall locks

Will be available for self-operation between the hours of 8am and 4pm daily. However, there will be roving lock keepers between Leeds & Newlay to offer assistance through the locks if required.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24512-leeds-and-liverpool-canal-lock-flight-operating-times-2023 updated 2 August 2023.

Thanks. Tried searching for anything to do with Bingley and this didn't come up. CART search engine is *useless*... 😞

Going up Bingley happens after first boats down, so if you're ready at the bottom after about 9:30 the lockies will start you up before 10am and you'll be at the top not long after 11am. Narrow boats will be paired, the first waiting for another or 11am, whichever comes first.

You obviously like long days at the tiller, cruising at night or your boat swims fast. Seems a tad ambitious to me. We've just done some of this route and your days are roughly two if ours. We feel we've been rushing doing 6-8 hour days. Canal pan can't factor in all the swing bridges (188 and 195 particularly troublesome).

Rather than Barrowford, Try Foulridge - not much difference distance wise, but more choice of beer (which I'm sensing is part and parcel of the trip). There, the social club is worth a look, friendly welcome and local Reedley Hallows ales on hand pump.

Mooring in Burnley is Ok at Finsley Gate (offside and locked at night, and also bar closes early some week nights ) but only room for ~3 boats. After that, Rose Grove is ok, again offside.

I'd skip Eanam Wharf and plan to do the Blackburn six to moor the other side. Cherry Tree is nicer and a choice of pubs. Riley Green perhaps better if you want food. Unfortunately Blackburn is a bit of a desert in that respect apart from 'spoons.

Top Lock at Wheelton was closed awaiting new tenant - maybe in now, so worth checking, otherwise Malt House Farm after bottom lock is Ok and you can moor there.

Adlington is a good spot to moor. West, there is a good grocers and on the main road to the east there are a number of places to eat and drink.

3 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Going up Bingley happens after first boats down, so if you're ready at the bottom after about 9:30 the lockies will start you up before 10am and you'll be at the top not long after 11am. Narrow boats will be paired, the first waiting for another or 11am, whichever comes first.

You obviously like long days at the tiller, cruising at night or your boat swims fast. Seems a tad ambitious to me. We've just done some of this route and your days are roughly two if ours. We feel we've been rushing doing 6-8 hour days. Canal pan can't factor in all the swing bridges (188 and 195 particularly troublesome).

Rather than Barrowford, Try Foulridge - not much difference distance wise, but more choice of beer (which I'm sensing is part and parcel of the trip). There, the social club is worth a look, friendly welcome and local Reedley Hallows ales on hand pump.

Mooring in Burnley is Ok at Finsley Gate (offside and locked at night, and also bar closes early some week nights ) but only room for ~3 boats. After that, Rose Grove is ok, again offside.

I'd skip Eanam Wharf and plan to do the Blackburn six to moor the other side. Cherry Tree is nicer and a choice of pubs. Riley Green perhaps better if you want food. Unfortunately Blackburn is a bit of a desert in that respect apart from 'spoons.

Top Lock at Wheelton was closed awaiting new tenant - maybe in now, so worth checking, otherwise Malt House Farm after bottom lock is Ok and you can moor there.

Adlington is a good spot to moor. West, there is a good grocers and on the main road to the east there are a number of places to eat and drink.

Thanks for all the advice, that's really helpful 🙂

The plans are based on experience of what we usually achieve, on many trips including the Northern canals with those pesky swing bridges -- we tend to do long days with 4 on board, meaning 3 on the bank at locks with one going ahead.

Wasn't sure what moorings were like at Foulridge, nothing mentioned in Canalplan -- do you mean between the Wharf and the winding hole, or the Wharf and the tunnel? Social club looks like a good suggestion... 😉

If you need solar, you're better up by the wharf. A lot of overstaying there including a space 'reserved' for an ice cream boat when we were there in May, so best to pull in before the pontoon. You can always moor on pins before that, which would be my preference, though there's usually space down by the tunnel and it was a lot cleaner there than previously.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

If you need solar, you're better up by the wharf. A lot of overstaying there including a space 'reserved' for an ice cream boat when we were there in May, so best to pull in before the pontoon. You can always moor on pins before that, which would be my preference, though there's usually space down by the tunnel and it was a lot cleaner there than previously.

Thanks again. Solar not a big priority, will be arriving at teatime and leaving in the morning -- much more solar yield while travelling during the day. Hopefully the sun might even be shining occasionally... 😉

On 24/08/2023 at 18:15, IanD said:

I also found this in the CART online guides:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/boatersguides/1_Aire_and_Calder_Navigation.pdf

Office Lock to Newlay Lock: Locks are
locked overnight during the boating season,
first and last passage times are 8.15am to
3pm.

If that's true, it means all you can do is go up through River Lock (arriving before 3pm...) into Granary Wharf and then moor there overnight -- not such a bad thing, just there's no choice... 😉

They don't lock all the locks, the only locks they used to lock between Forge locks and Leeds was Kirkstall Lock.  I don't know if restrictions are still on the River Lock? But no locked locks till Kirkstall timings and info usually put up on the locks prior and often volunteer’s around with up to date info.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Where?  There's nowhere I can think of to eat at Riley Green.

Calypso Caribbean restaurant on Eanam Wharf however is a strong recommendation.

That's why I was aiming for there... 😉

• Greenie 1

If you stop in Adlington there's a decent medium co-op and Tesco express at the top of the hill from the railway station. Not far. Next to the Tesco is an excellent pie shop Bowens. Between Chorley and Adlington is a highly regarded ice cream place called Frederick's, if that's your thing. You can moor up and it's a very short distance.

Screenshot_20230825_221849_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230825_221917_Chrome.jpg

Also, if in Adlington, there's a small place across the road from the station called Rail Weigh. They do lots of eco friendly stuff and also have fresh cakes varying from day to day. 

12 minutes ago, Ianws said:

If you stop in Adlington there's a decent medium co-op and Tesco express at the top of the hill from the railway station. Not far. Next to the Tesco is an excellent pie shop Bowens. Between Chorley and Adlington is a highly regarded ice cream place called Frederick's, if that's your thing. You can moor up and it's a very short distance.

Screenshot_20230825_221849_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230825_221917_Chrome.jpg

Also, if in Adlington, there's a small place across the road from the station called Rail Weigh. They do lots of eco friendly stuff and also have fresh cakes varying from day to day. 

A pub that isn't mentioned in Nicolsons is the Spinners at Cowling. A short walk from moorings near the towpath at  Cowling Bridge. I haven't been so can't offer an opinion. Just noticed it's an omission form the guide given its proximity. 

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice -- it's always good to have more possible stopping places closer together for when things don't go to plan, not exactly uncommon on the canals nowadays... 😉

Now it's just a matter of having the boat ready on time to fit with when people are available after various things in the build took longer than expected... 😞