Offers/pre-purchase surveys of first boat purchase

Beans

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Crewcut said:

What a cutie, I think we had visions of a decrepit old Springer but the steel is still very thin. If you go ahead & the survey shows the steel to be less than 4mm, third party insurance is readily available assuming you're ok with the risks of thin steel & self-insuring your own boat. Making your bed up every day from the seating would become tiresome quickly but you could get rid of the shelves opposite the woodburner, have a bigger seat & leave the bed made up? You could possibly find space for a small 12v compressor coolbox somewhere (Alpicool are good value) but then you'll need the battery capacity to run it. Good luck...👍

Thank you kindly for the drumming of the insurance aspect. I want to cover all basis as possible because I’m by no means an overly competent DIY’er and I do not want to rot or sink. I’m  trying to be realistic with my budget and the time I’ll have for amendments, so a small-ass boat with all comforts that work to an acceptable degree is my go to - happy to sacrifice space. I have been waking and folding up a tatami bed each morning for about 8 months now, so I’m used to the extra routine and quite like it. I purposely chose a small room with this. These small things, folding my bed, trying to conserve my water use, trying to eat fresh without a fridge, really quite excite me. Maybe I’m going mad. But I’m excited all the same :)) 

thanks for the advice on the cool box too !!! 

You guys are all great. Thanks so much. It’s a pleasure to read all of your comments

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, Beans said:

Thank you kindly for the drumming of the insurance aspect. I want to cover all basis as possible because I’m by no means an overly competent DIY’er and I do not want to rot or sink. I’m  trying to be realistic with my budget and the time I’ll have for amendments, so a small-ass boat with all comforts that work to an acceptable degree is my go to - happy to sacrifice space. I have been waking and folding up a tatami bed each morning for about 8 months now, so I’m used to the extra routine and quite like it. I purposely chose a small room with this. These small things, folding my bed, trying to conserve my water use, trying to eat fresh without a fridge, really quite excite me. Maybe I’m going mad. But I’m excited all the same :)) 

thanks for the advice on the cool box too !!! 

You guys are all great. Thanks so much. It’s a pleasure to read all of your comments

I was an extremely incompetent DIYer and still managed to completely refit my boat in about three months. I was almost competent by the time I finished. You'd be surprised at what you can do if you have to, and am broke!

One of my cupboards that sits virtually on the bottom of the boat stays nearly as cold as the fridge, even in summer.

I view this as essentially a bed room with a few add ones.  The bed needs to be supported on a solid base and have a good mattress otherwise you will end up exhausted, maybe a sore back. It needs to be aired or it will end up damp.

I think if you have a gym membership (thinking about showering and social activities) and you can charge up  a car starting power bank at work to ensure you don't drain the boat batteries every day, then this will make life easier. 

I don't think you can have any guarantee that this will be trouble free with respect to the hull.

Its your home, so there is no wiggle room to take it out and do repairs. Worse case scenario you would have to sell at a loss. Best case scenario, more likely you will have little trouble as long as you maintain things.

I would also be looking at good grip cruisers, they have different drawbacks of course, often heating and insulation, but don't often sink. They can often be restored by an amateur. They probably have a more boat like feel about them, personally I'd find one already used as a liveaboard 

Edited by LadyG

On the subject of GRP boats here's a couple, the first is sold unfortunately (I had my eye on it), second has been for sale for some months so I'd be surprised if they wouldn't take an offer & the owners would be unrealistic to consider an offer of £15k an insult (in my opinion). Outboard engine rather than inboard has disadvantages but some advantages as well & it isn't hanging unprotected off the back. If somebody else hasn't already said it every boat is a compromise. Do some work on insulation & cosmetics, longer term I'd be looking to reduce the window area (condensation), add a woodburner. There is the basis of a good liveaboard that you could improve as you go there, 32ft will be much more comfortable than 23 & no worries about thin steel or water getting into the bilges...

3 minutes ago, Peanut said:

"Expensive ones have a compressor....."

Not all are expensive, see here, the previous recommendation:

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/camping/cool/box/freezer/

They’ve come down in price due to the Chinese copy of the Danfoss BD35 compressor actually being quite good, but £189 is still expensive compared to £30-50 for a Peltier cool box. I paid £20 for one from Aldi to keep on the back deck so I have cold beer and snacks when on the move…

2 minutes ago, Peanut said:

"Expensive ones have a compressor....."

Not all are expensive, see here, the previous recommendation:

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/camping/cool/box/freezer/

This is interesting. There must be a new, cheap and small 12v compressor on the market for this plethora of £250-ish compressor cool boxes to have hit the market. Until now the only 12v fridge compressor has been the Danfoss/Secop BD35f at approx £400 trade, before making or buying a fridge to put it in! 

14 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

Outboard engine rather than inboard has disadvantages but some advantages as well & it isn't hanging unprotected off the back. If somebody else hasn't already said it every boat is a compromise.

The biggest problem with an outboard is it won't charge a domestic battery bank that gets any amount of use. Especially not one with a fridge attached! 

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

This is interesting. There must be a new, cheap and small 12v compressor on the market for this plethora of £250-ish compressor cool boxes to have hit the market. Until now the only 12v fridge compressor has been the Danfoss/Secop BD35f at approx £400 trade, before making or buying a fridge to put it in! 

Yep, there’s a Chinese clone of the BD35 which appears to be pretty good. No idea what the bare compressor and control box costs on its own though. 

8 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Yep, there’s a Chinese clone of the BD35 which appears to be pretty good. No idea what the bare compressor and control box costs on its own though. 

Cool! 

I doubt this is the one in those coolboxes, the BD35f (or a clone) would half fill the box up. I reckon there must be another, tineeee little compressor on the market. And yes, Chinese and cheap.

Edited by MtB

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The biggest problem with an outboard is it won't charge a domestic battery bank that gets any amount of use. Especially not one with a fridge attached! 

But a tiny boat can't be self sufficient in energy, unless camping with candles. Either use your works electricity or buy a generator or ...

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Which is, broadly, what the OP is planning to do. 

Perhaps I am in a land of dreams but the eras that entice me most are the sods wrapping themselves in fur and eating stews by candlelight. The reality is, a cafe with a flushable toilet and freshly baked sweet treats will always be a stone throw away ! Plus the masters I’ll be doing will be surrounded by plenty of yummy and fresh government funded 230V 😛 

p.s: the boat was really lovely. I’m just about 6ft and could jump (Not high, but it was a jump). Few things to sort on board, mainly, Chimney needs fire cementing, second battery needs installing as well as solar. She felt really rather homely to me :) I hope all is well post survey!

5 minutes ago, Beans said:

Perhaps I am in a land of dreams but the eras that entice me most are the sods wrapping themselves in fur and eating stews by candlelight. The reality is, a cafe with a flushable toilet and freshly baked sweet treats will always be a stone throw away ! Plus the masters I’ll be doing will be surrounded by plenty of yummy and fresh government funded 230V 😛 

p.s: the boat was really lovely. I’m just about 6ft and could jump (Not high, but it was a jump). Few things to sort on board, mainly, Chimney needs fire cementing, second battery needs installing as well as solar. She felt really rather homely to me :) I hope all is well post survey!

Don't fire cement a chimney. The collars will crack. Use hi-temp silicone and fibreglass rope.

4 minutes ago, Beans said:

Frankly, i don't see the point of s surve given how ‘right’ it feels to you. Just buy it! 

Wanting a survey just risks someone else swooping in and buying it without, while you are trying to organise one. 

Especially as another boat like this might not come up for a year.  

It sure is a tiny boat but I know others do live on the same size. If you can go without many possessions and don't mind the limitations, then why not? More power to you. Those saying it's too small are only expressing their own opinion because they couldn't do it - which is fair enough, but that doesn't mean it applies to you.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Beans said:

Glad I said something about this and glad you caught it. If all goes well , will do 

This is the stuff I've been using - as recommended on this very forum. A bit pricier than some similar-sounding alternatives but this seems to work fine so I'm sticking with what I know to work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Envirograf-Silicone-Sealant-Proof-Temperature/dp/B077B9QF7G/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=1174279317747666&hvadid=73392659549259&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=41664&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73392599059067%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=24889_2220815&keywords=envirograf+sealant&qid=1692544967&sr=8-6

When I used fire cement it cracked badly in one season so needs re-doing every year.

22 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

This is the stuff I've been using - as recommended on this very forum. A bit pricier than some similar-sounding alternatives but this seems to work fine so I'm sticking with what I know to work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Envirograf-Silicone-Sealant-Proof-Temperature/dp/B077B9QF7G/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=1174279317747666&hvadid=73392659549259&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=41664&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73392599059067%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=24889_2220815&keywords=envirograf+sealant&qid=1692544967&sr=8-6

When I used fire cement it cracked badly in one season so needs re-doing every year.

Open doors and windows when curing it. 

49 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Open doors and windows when curing it. 

I normally do it (and use stove blacking polish) early summer if it needs doing and by the time I light the fire (September at the earliest) it seems to be fine. I try to do it on a day when the weather's not too bad so we can evacuate if it's bad but so far I haven't had any problems.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

But a tiny boat can't be self sufficient in energy, unless camping with candles. Either use your works electricity or buy a generator or ...

The tiny boat that OP is looking at can certainly be self sufficient. He could get 400W of solar panels on the roof if he wants, and the Beta Marine engine is probably quite capable of charging batteries.

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OyWvmOMd8&t=6s&ab_channel=BensBoatBramble

This guy seems to do ok on a small boat in London.

When we sold our 30 footer (many moons ago) they were a young couple expecting their 1st child.

It was their 1st boat.

Turned out of the marina (at Newark) and headed up the Trent - final destination London and no mooring planned. I spoke to them a few weeks later and apart from having to buy a new battery it has been an uneventful trip and they had arrived safely.

We sold it as it was just too small for us, and the hassle of putting up the bed everynight was getting to be a major irritant.

Not enough room for one to have a 'lie in', or to be poorly, or for one to watch TV whilst the other wanted to go to sleep.

Lovely little boat but not for us.

Sold her for £12,000 cash, no survey, fully equipped , turn the key and go. Put her up for sale a few days before Christmas, they viewed her a couple of days after Christmas, paid up and were on their way to London before the new year.

IMG_20130912_101839.jpg

On 20/08/2023 at 17:54, Ewan123 said:

The tiny boat that OP is looking at can certainly be self sufficient. He could get 400W of solar panels on the roof if he wants, and the Beta Marine engine is probably quite capable of charging batteries.

If he runs the engine  fourteen hours per week.

Buys a huge kit, fits it, say £1600, for six months of the year.

Get a life. 

I have probs charging in depths of winter, and I am retired. I have LED lighting and gas cooking, diesel heating, solid fuel stove.

Edited by LadyG