Greyhound Inn Sutton Stop

Ray T

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The Greyhound has always done a good pint of Bass.
Now Bass has had its recipe changed and then restored over the years, and of course changed breweries. 
It’s always been a good pint (for me) with 40 years of guzzling it and I had to have another quota of it yesterday in the Greyhound just to make sure. 
Superb!

Bass tastes of farts to me, and always has done... 😉

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

dilligaf

(seen at least 3 boats this past month called dilligaf, might quote it more often)

If you can rave on about how delicious Bass is, I can equally say how I disagree -- taste is subjective, in beer as well as boats... 😉

(but quite a few friends share my negative opinion of Bass, for the same reason...)

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Did Ansells ever make beer?

Yes. The Ansell's Brewery stood alongside the A38(M) Aston Expressway and closed in 1981. It was opposite the HP Sauce factory, also now gone, and the two were linked by what was claimed to be the world's only vinegar main, which had to be carefully encased in a footbridge when the A38(M) was built beneath.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes. The Ansell's Brewery stood alongside the A38(M) Aston Expressway and closed in 1981. It was opposite the HP Sauce factory, also now gone, and the two were linked by what was claimed to be the world's only vinegar main, which had to be carefully encased in a footbridge when the A38(M) was built beneath.

I was really saying "did Ansells ever make decent beer/real ale"?

I grew up in Brum and getting decent beer was not easy. I have read that Ansells and M&B were given some sort of monopoly on Birmingham pubs as part of some sort of post war rebuilding scheme. Both of these went in for the "factory fizz beer" revolution in a big way and had nothing to do with real ale.

I think there were only one or two real Ale pubs in Brum so in my early drinking days driving out to the Black Country etc was the only option. I do remember trips to Ma Pardoe and also a pub in Lapworth.

On 18/08/2023 at 15:27, cuthound said:

I used to enjoy a pint or two of draught Directors back in the 80's. Sadly it seems only to available in bottles these days and is nothing like the draught.

So did I, there were quite a few Courage pubs in the City of London in those days. Courage, Fullers and Shepherd Neame were lunchtime staples for us back then. Shepherd Neame had an odour that could be kindly described as an acquired taste. Or perhaps less kindly as smelling of farts.

Anyway, I'm currently moored outside the Boathouse in Braunston (yes, I know... but when 50% of the boat's crew has a foot problem the options are limited!) and I noticed earlier that they currently have Courage Directors on draught (plus Hobgoblin Ruby, Wainwright and one other that I can't remember) so we'll be going in shortly to try it.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

So did I, there were quite a few Courage pubs in the City of London in those days. Courage, Fullers and Shepherd Neame were lunchtime staples for us back then. Shepherd Neame had an odour that could be kindly described as an acquired taste. Or perhaps less kindly as smelling of farts.

Anyway, I'm currently moored outside the Boathouse in Braunston (yes, I know... but when 50% of the boat's crew has a foot problem the options are limited!) and I noticed earlier that they currently have Courage Directors on draught (plus Hobgoblin Ruby, Wainwright and one other that I can't remember) so we'll be going in shortly to try it.

Glad to hear Directors is still about. Hopefully it tastes just as good as it used to.

Sounds like we drank in similar haunts when I worked in London.

Surprised that you didn't mention Young's as a staple. I often drank it in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market.

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Sheps doesn't just smell of farts, it gives them a whole new level of aroma if you drink lots of it. Now take a load of blokes who've all been drinking Sheps by the gallon all weekend and put them on a coach... 😞

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Glad to hear Directors is still about. Hopefully it tastes just as good as it used to.

Surprised that you didn't mention Young's as a staple. I often drank it in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market.

Young's hasn't been the same since they closed the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth and moved production to the Charles Well brewery in Bedford... 😞

When I came to London in the early 80s it was one of the beers to look out for, there were few alternatives. Nowadays there are a lot of better beers...

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

For some reason I never really took to Youngs. London Pride was definitely a favourite of mine. Quite liked Bass as well. Lots of other favourites that I can no longer remember.

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

For some reason I never really took to Youngs. London Pride was definitely a favourite of mine. Quite liked Bass as well. Lots of other favourites that I can no longer remember.

Fuller's Chiswick used to be better than Pride, but was never widely available -- and not at all now... 😞

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Young's hasn't been the same since they closed the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth and moved production to the Charles Well brewery in Bedford... 😞

When I came to London in the early 80s it was one of the beers to look out for, there were few alternatives. Nowadays there are a lot of better beers...

I know, I've only ever drunk one pint of the Bedford brewed Young's... :( Now Young's at the Tap in Wandsworth was simply delightful.

I've had a soft spot for Young's since I first drank it in 1972. At the time they published a list of their pubs, and if you got the landlords signature against every one within a year, they gave you a free barrel (actually vouchers to be used in within a year).

I started on this quest, but sadly it coincided with CAMRA's campaign to publicise real ale. Young's responded by expanding the number of pubs in their chain faster than I could visit them...   :(

9 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Young's had a very distinctive, some would say unusual taste. The smell reminded my of my early childhood days when the smell of hops being boiled in the Greenhall Witley brewery in St Helens used to waft over the village where my grandparents lived if the wind was blowing in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I know, I've only ever drunk one pint of the Bedford brewed Young's... :( Now Young's at the Tap in Wandsworth was simply delightful.

I've had a soft spot for Young's since I first drank it in 1972. At the time they published a list of their pubs, and if you got the landlords signature against every one within a year, they gave you a free barrel (actually vouchers to be used in within a year).

I started on this quest, but sadly it coincided with CAMRA's campaign to publicise real ale. Young's responded by expanding the number of pubs in their chain faster than I could visit them...   :(

What ended up being called the Brewery Tap in recent years was originally the Ram Inn, but allegedly somebody objected to having this opposite the Spread Eagle... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Don't you mean the Rose & Castle ?

I used to deliver food to the Youngs brewery in Wandsworth 

I think The Greyhound sold Atkinson’s ales back in the day. They were brewed in Aston. I wonder if that was at the same place that later became the Ansell’s brewery or whether they were separate?

Hopefully Everard’s won’t force their own brews on the new tenants.

Other canalside pubs are Everard’s houses, notably the Admiral Nelson which I think may also be/have been a CRT freehold. Maybe a coincidence or maybe not.

Edited by Captain Pegg

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Everard’s usually have plenty of guest ales on in addition to their own beer.

was in the Admiral Nelson the other day and I think they may have had 5 other beers on,

and some ciders,

Maybe the Greyhound is the same. Can’t say I’ve noticed. Maybe because I’ve looked straight past the Everard’s. That said the choice when I last visited in drinking hours wasn’t great. Think I ended up drinking Bass. 😂

I don’t recall there being great choice last time I went to the Admiral Nelson but I can recall having a pint of Landlord there in the past.

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

Maybe the Greyhound is the same. Can’t say I’ve noticed. Maybe because I’ve looked straight past the Everard’s. That said the choice when I last visited in drinking hours wasn’t great. Think I ended up drinking Bass. 😂

I don’t recall there being great choice last time I went to the Admiral Nelson but I can recall having a pint of Landlord there in the past.

The Swan’s the same, 3 Everards and a choice of guest ales. 

Just now, Goliath said:

The Swan’s the same, 3 Everards and a choice of guest ales. 

And another place that is or was a CRT freehold. I suspect not a coincidence. Coventry isn’t an Everard’s stronghold traditionally and Fradley I’d guess even less so.

I wonder if Everards have a long term leasehold on pubs on CRT land.