Fund Britain's Waterways. Birmingham Campaign Cruise. 12th - 13th August

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Sooper!

Looks like it could be a banterette then.

Has anyone heard back from the organisers?

I registered an interest in attending last week. The email from the BCNS said 'If you  have registered to join the Campaign Cruise you will have received an entry form', and I haven't.

(Unless the 'registering an interest' form and the entry form are the same thing)

27 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Sooper!

I registered an interest in attending last week. The email from the BCNS said 'If you  have registered to join the Campaign Cruise you will have received an entry form', and I haven't.

(Unless the 'registering an interest' form and the entry form are the same thing)

Use this link to join: https://waterways.org.uk/fund-britains-waterways/fbw-activities/fbw-campaign-cruise-form

Thanks for that but that's the one I've used so I'm guessing it is the entry form.

Where did you get the '50 other boats' figure from? Sounds like it could be a good do.

And as the rally is right outside the Mailbox, and under the nose of the BBC, it should make the news.

It might even get a mention on The Archers ! After all one of the characters (Can't remember if it is Rex or Toby) lives on a boat on the River Am.

😃

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Thanks for that but that's the one I've used so I'm guessing it is the entry form.

Where did you get the '50 other boats' figure from? Sounds like it could be a good do.

And as the rally is right outside the Mailbox, and under the nose of the BBC, it should make the news.

It might even get a mention on The Archers ! After all one of the characters (Can't remember if it is Rex or Toby) lives on a boat on the River Am.

😃

A picture by Kevin Maslin from the 2005 Save Our Waterways protest

mailbox.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

😃

I'm vicechair of NABO so get some info.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Are there many boats about at the moment?

I pulled onto the Oozells loop moorings at 1pm and there was one boat there, since then one has come in behind me. There were a few on the Main line beyond Ladywood Junction which is 14 days. Not been for a walk round because its peeing down

15 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

British Canoeing and British Rowing are both members of FBW so will have publicised this event to their members. It has been clarified that unpowered craft are welcome too.

Can not see it mentioned on the Canoe England Website

Just got a stoppage notice for this...

Notice Alert

Location: Salvage Turn, Birmingham, Worcester & Birmingham Canal

Intersection of:

Bath Row Bridge No. 87 to Worcester Bar Stop Lock on Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

(Up Stream Winding Hole: Edgbaston Winding Hole, Down Stream Winding Hole: Old Turn Junction)

and

Bar Lock Footbridge, Gas Street to National Indoor Arena/ Tindal Bridge on New Mainline

Saturday 12 August 2023 16:00 until Sunday 13 August 2023 17:00

Type: Event

Original message:

The Fund Britain’s Waterways (FBW) action group has organised a campaign cruise to Birmingham on the weekend of 12th – 13th August.

Over 50 boats are expected to gather on Salvage Turn, outside the Mailbox, between 10am and 1pm on Sunday 13th August, and it is likely to be extremely busy for boat traffic around these times.

Moorings will be reserved on the Worcester & Birmingham from Granville St Bridge 88 round to Worcester Bar from Saturday 12th to Sunday 13th; all other visitor moorings in central Birmingham will be unreserved as usual.

The towpaths will remain open through the event, but are likely to be particularly busy around Salvage Turn.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/25856/salvage-turn-birmingham-worcester-and-birmingham-canal

23 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just got a stoppage notice for this...

Notice Alert

Location: Salvage Turn, Birmingham, Worcester & Birmingham Canal

Intersection of:

Bath Row Bridge No. 87 to Worcester Bar Stop Lock on Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

(Up Stream Winding Hole: Edgbaston Winding Hole, Down Stream Winding Hole: Old Turn Junction)

and

Bar Lock Footbridge, Gas Street to National Indoor Arena/ Tindal Bridge on New Mainline

Saturday 12 August 2023 16:00 until Sunday 13 August 2023 17:00

Type: Event

Original message:

The Fund Britain’s Waterways (FBW) action group has organised a campaign cruise to Birmingham on the weekend of 12th – 13th August.

Over 50 boats are expected to gather on Salvage Turn, outside the Mailbox, between 10am and 1pm on Sunday 13th August, and it is likely to be extremely busy for boat traffic around these times.

Moorings will be reserved on the Worcester & Birmingham from Granville St Bridge 88 round to Worcester Bar from Saturday 12th to Sunday 13th; all other visitor moorings in central Birmingham will be unreserved as usual.

The towpaths will remain open through the event, but are likely to be particularly busy around Salvage Turn.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/25856/salvage-turn-birmingham-worcester-and-birmingham-canal

See my FYI above!

29 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Can not see it mentioned on the Canoe England Website

Maybe they haven't as yet signed up to FBW. If you are a member, perhaps you could tell them about it please.

3 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

24 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

See my FYI above!

Maybe they haven't as yet signed up to FBW. If you are a member, perhaps you could tell them about it please.

Canoe England is the website for the BCU. I am a member of the Welsh Canoe Association but I shall put a thread about it on the Song of the Paddle which is a Canoe forum

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Canoe England is the website for the BCU. I am a member of the Welsh Canoe Association but I shall put a thread about it on the Song of the Paddle which is a Canoe forum

Now on Song of the paddle website

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Thanks Tonka. No idea why my reply to Rob-M about his duplicate post (FYI) was merged with this though.

9 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Thanks Tonka. No idea why my reply to Rob-M about his duplicate post (FYI) was merged with this though.

Have also sent an email to Birmingham Canoe club to let them know

On 26/07/2023 at 10:26, Victor Vectis said:

Sooper!

We have sorted our plans out, and I have just filled in the form on the IWA website.  Have not had an email with details or anything though, presumably that will come in the following days.  

The question about where you will be mooring on the Saturday nightis bit confusing, who moors at Smethwick Junction, and there was no option for in the city centre.  If they want the boats the cruise into the centre on mass, then I am happy to go down the Smethwick Junction first thing Sunday morning, but I think that needs to be made clear in the communication that is hopefully to come. If there are any organisers are on here who could take that on board that would be great, but I have also emailed the any questions email on the IWA site.

I'll be coming in from Lapworth, via the W & B.

My reading of things is that boats coming in from this direction will gather by that new winding hole at Selly Oak (Sainsburys) on Saturday and and cruise to the Mailbox on Sunday morning.

I'm guessing boats coming from the north will gather at Smethwick on the Saturday and head in on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Apologies from the organisers, they have been inundated with requests to join in. If you've not heard from them after applying, please just turn up. I'll share all other info on here as I get it. See you there!

That’s all very well, but turn up where and when?