48hr mooring

carp-addict

Featured Posts

Just now, carp-addict said:

To be clear the only reason I would like to move to the 2nd location is due to hospital appointments not because I want to try to abuse the mooring system

In that case, phone the CaRT regional office and explain, I am about 98% sure they will accomodate you.

• Greenie 1

The only legal requirement is not to stay for over 14 days (unless circumstances dictate).

These short term moorings are intended for us all to play nicely, share the space and not hogg one hot-spot.

The choice is yours but personally 48 hrs on each seems OK.

Rog

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I think CRT is closed on Sundays!

I've just contacted them and they have put the request through for me. He did say if there's a problem then it will be Monday when I am contacted by the crt mooring guys. If I don't hear anything then all is good 

• Greenie 3

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think CRT is closed on Sundays!

My experience of phoning CaRT last month was that the person I spoke to (WFH) did not understand my question so could not answer. They passed on to another individual, but not the question I asked, and replied by email instead of the promised call. Therefore, in reply to the OP, by the time home based employees have contacted other home based employees, 48 hours is a virtual lifetime before your request is responded to.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

My experience of phoning CaRT last month was that the person I spoke to (WFH) did not understand my question so could not answer. They passed on to another individual, but not the question I asked, and replied by email instead of the promised call. Therefore, in reply to the OP, by the time home based employees have contacted other home based employees, 48 hours is a virtual lifetime before your request is responded to.

In my limited experience of calling CRT at the weekend, I get the impression they use a third party message-taking firm to answer the phone, as I too have found the person answering seems to have no canal background whatsoever. I think they pass on all calls to a CRT person who them triages what's important and what isn't, and passes on important stuff to appropriate staff to call back when appropriate. 

I've certainly been called back on a Sunday at least once over something middling-important when I didn't expect it, so the system does work. 

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

In my limited experience of calling CRT at the weekend, I get the impression they use a third party message-taking firm to answer the phone, as I too have found the person answering seems to have no canal background whatsoever. I think they pass on all calls to a CRT person who them triages what's important and what isn't, and passes on important stuff to appropriate staff to call back when appropriate. 

I've certainly been called back on a Sunday at least once over something middling-important when I didn't expect it, so the system does work. 

C&RTs telephone answering service had been subcontracted to the same company who answer the emergency services calls.

The operator can be anywhere in the country.

When we lived in Wales I had a trailer stolen, called the Police and told them what had happened  (that took so long the trailer would be 50 miles away) and they asked me to spell all the names I had mentioned - I asked where she was located and she was in Inverness - no wonder she struggled with the Welsh village  and road names.

A company called open reach deal with enquiries, triaged and then passed to the relevant CRT contact - they may not know specific canal terminology.  This is pretty much the same as very many companies. 48 hours is entirely reasonable.  If you think otherwise then perhaps get organised and work out what you need to know ahead of time. 

West Midlands ambulance service deal with OOH.

Edited by Creaking Gate

Tbh the only 48hr moorings where it's actually likely to be a significant problem are non CRT private ones run by town councils who might have the motivation to actually try to collect fines for overstays.

I think that noncompliance with 48hr limits elsewhere is sometimes a bit inconsiderate, but not when staying for a hospital appointment!

Ask CRT what action they propose to take if you overstay on a reduced time limit visitor mooring, I have and I can tell you that you will never get a definite answer ,  the reason is ( my opinion after studying the legislation) that there is no lawful penalty for doing so, the reduced time limits are advisory and CRT is trying to manage moorings by conning boaters with signs implying things that are not true. 

" 2 days free mooring" is a common one on the GU, when in fact there is no lawful charge or fine for staying there 14 days. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, waterworks said:

Ask CRT what action they propose to take if you overstay on a reduced time limit visitor mooring, I have and I can tell you that you will never get a definite answer ,  the reason is ( my opinion after studying the legislation) that there is no lawful penalty for doing so, the reduced time limits are advisory and CRT is trying to manage moorings by conning boaters with signs implying things that are not true. 

" 2 days free mooring" is a common one on the GU, when in fact there is no lawful charge or fine for staying there 14 days. 

From the very first enabling Acts, the towpath was not to be obstructed; it had to be available to all for the use it was designed for – accordingly, overnight stays would have been the only (perhaps) tolerated use for mooring. In one of the major canal company’s Acts, in fact, pleasure boats were even banned from ANY use of the towpath (and that clause has never, to my knowledge, been explicitly rescinded).

Over the latter part of the 20th century, longer temporary use of the towpath for mooring became tolerated on a pragmatic basis, with 14 days fixed upon as a rough guideline for reasons lost in obscurity (for all that BW came up with postulated origins during the Select Committee hearings on the 1990 Bill).

Obstruction remains on the statute books as an offence, updated even in the 1995 Act, and overstaying stated times on selected sections has been used with County Court approval to qualify the boat – being thereby regarded as an obstruction - for being moved under s.8(5) of the 1983 Act. Anything longer than an overnight stay, as I see it, is simply permissive – with the exception of boats without home moorings, for whom only, the right to 14 days (or more if circumstances dictate) is enshrined in law.

Source : Nigel Moore (RIP)

Be very careful about how much you rock the boat >..................................

On 23/07/2023 at 11:09, carp-addict said:

To be clear the only reason I would like to move to the 2nd location is due to hospital appointments not because I want to try to abuse the mooring system

You just phone CRT and ask for an extension, valid reason. No hassle.

Semantics I know ... but ring C&RT and advise them of your circumstances which make a longer stay necessary.

We don't have to doff our cap and ask permission  😁

Communication is good though.

Rog

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, dogless said:

Semantics I know ... but ring C&RT and advise them of your circumstances which make a longer stay necessary.

We don't have to doff our cap and ask permission  😁

Communication is good though.

Rog

We are not doffing caps, just acting in a polite way, conforming to reasonable mooring advisory restrictions which are probably untested, it's called oiling the wheels. No one wants to have a confrontation or make demands over every local difficulty.

• Greenie 1