Mooring/upkeep costs seem so expensive? Help a newbie out here.

Avi1251

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Ooh you donarff like tempting providence, don't you?! 

I think I've fixed all the bits that needed it!

I expect the engine itself will outlive me, and I have fingers crossed about the many other things that could go wrong.

I originally anticipated no more than eight years on board, but as I am now enjoying the relaxing life (summertime helps), and it is proving to be cheaper than living in a conventional manner, I am looking at the alternatives in a different light.

20 hours ago, MtB said:

Even so, the OP will always be 'pushing the envelope' trying to CC and work in a fixed place, wherever they are. 

Living aboard whilst 'pushing the envelope' is never compatible with the 'relaxed lifestyle' often associated with living on a boat. 

I think age and resilience come in to this, when I was impoverished I lived in some terrible rented accommodation, but it did not really matter as essentially I was only there during the week, and work was just something to fit in to my schedule.

I now appreciate creature comforts, so my living expenses are weighted in a different direction.

My advice to the OP is that if you're renting a house for close to £400pm then you've really got to love living on a boat if you're gonna make the change.  That is an exceptionally low rent.  The only way boat life could be cheaper for you would be to continuously cruise but only do the bare minimum of miles and be able to do most/all of the running repairs yourself.

Usually I tell newbies on here that boating will probably save them money.  That's not really the case with you.

19 hours ago, Goliath said:

matter does it ?

better question is : are they a southerner ?

we can assume all sorts of quality prejudice then 👍

Oi, I resemble that remark!

Although born in the north of England and currently living in the Midlands Ive spent three quarters of my life in the south...

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Oi, I resemble that remark!

Although born in the north of England and currently living in the Midlands Ive spent three quarters of my life in the south...

😃

Well I’m glad you took the remark with the humour that was intended. 

Well I hope you did

I hope I still get a wave when I pass your house and not bricks thrown at me. 😃

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

😃

Well I’m glad you took the remark with the humour that was intended. 

Well I hope you did

I hope I still get a wave when I pass your house and not bricks thrown at me. 😃

Lol, you might get a beer bottle or two thrown at you (but only if you help me empty them :))

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2023 at 15:29, haggis said:

I saw no evidence of the OP  chucking his toys out but you  and lady g obviously did . Pity, as I got the impression that most folk were being helpful and the OP seemed appreciative. 

I thi

I saw no evidence of the OP  chucking his toys out but you  and lady g obviously did . Pity, as I got the impression that most folk were being helpful and the OP seemed appreciative. 

She left after about three or four posts.

I think there is an edited or deleted post.

As the convo unfolded, I remember an angry post telling people to stop making assumptions as they were all wrong, or something along those lines. But reading back through the thread, I can no longer find it. 

• Happy 1

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think there is an edited or deleted post.

As the convo unfolded, I remember an angry post telling people to stop making assumptions as they were all wrong, or something along those lines. But reading back through the thread, I can no longer find it. 

I remember that post or something very similar. At first the OP seemed reasonable and appreciative, but as the problems of CCing and working were being worked through I think the OP got the hump.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2023 at 11:39, Avi1251 said:

Good afternoon folks,

I'm a newbie here, after too many years of working hard, I'm currently looking at getting a canal boat and living out my dream of living on the waterways.

However, I'm a bit agast at the costs of mooring/upkeep and just wanted some clarity from more seasoned vets..

Upon researching, I've been told that you can park up in one area only for 14 days rent free and then you are expected to move onto a new area all together. Can I firstly ask whether this is true?

The issue I have, is that I've been told that mooring costs can be upwards of 5k a year.. now that can be around £400 a month which seems absoutely insane! That's close to what I am paying in rent for a 2 bed house at the moment. Is that really right?

With fuel costs and everything else, this would end up being the same price as living in my current house and I am STILL paying the majority of that money in rent, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to buy a narrowboat in the first place, to avoid paying rent. Seems to me a bit absurd that you buy a home outright and yet still are paying the same sort of money in rent as you would do renting a house.

Am I being unreasonable here? Is there a way around paying so much to rent a boat your actually already own outright? Other than upping and moving every 14 days obviously.

Thanks in advance, apologies if the above sounds moany, that really isn't my intention. I'm just pretty shocked and worried by dream is possibly going to stay just that at this rate. Any help/advice will be hugely appreciated, even if you do just end up giving me a reality check..

Cheers,

Dave

Where is your 2 Bed house ?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

It's near me, I could flat share! Or even better find a government sponsored Ukrainian to take the spare room and pocket the residual cash myself.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

On his profile it said his location was Sheffield and he did mention being near Sheffield, for £400 a month he either has a very generous landlord/friend or rents in one of the less desirable areas either Sheffield or Rotherham, areas which have a large Eastern European Romma or Asian presence. We’ll probably never know as with a lot of new posters that think it’s a cheap way of living, they don’t want to hear the reality. He never once asked about the initial cost of a decent boat, but was quite shocked with the cost of moorings, I wonder what boat he’s looking at, a small Narrowboat/GRP?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

He never once asked about the initial cost of a decent boat, but was quite shocked with the cost of moorings, I wonder what boat he’s looking at, a small Narrowboat/GRP?

Yes I noticed that too. I suspect given the £5k mooring costs they were shocked by, I suspect they've been looking at moorings for a 60 footer. Which won't be cheap either.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes I noticed that too. I suspect given the £5k mooring costs they were shocked by, I suspect they've been looking at moorings for a 60 footer. Which won't be cheap either.

Dearest residential moorings in the area are as I said Tinsley CaRT moorings, I have been keeping an eye on them the last 3 plus month if not longer. Buy now £4151, they were £3850 when they first went on. They keep getting relisted, so obviously not that much interest/demand up North or everyone is like the OP who wants to live in the area, they have no money or don’t want to pay the going residential rate, which is probably far cheaper than the South. 
 Mind you you can get a house up here for the price of a decent boat.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth