Mooring/upkeep costs seem so expensive? Help a newbie out here.

Avi1251

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Threads like this all the time seen it on TV /had a holiday/me mates got one. Do your research,take your time,it's not a £5 quid life change to Dave you load of money .

Last year's outlay with winter mooring only was  £6500  all in 

A few people telling me I've seen too many videos, watched too many TV shows etc. But the funny thing is I don't watch TV or use YouTube etc. So can people kindly stop telling me where I've got my information from? The truth is I don't have the information, which is why I'm here to speak to genuine people, rather than taking advice from such rubbish places :)

Edited by Avi1251

If you've been working hard for many years you should have some knowledge of economic forces in the UK at this time. It is unlikely that you will want to work an extra ten hours per week to put a little bit in to savings.

Those who bought their own house when they were young and able to earn money though thick and thin are now reaping the benefit, assuming their house suits them and has no outstanding debts.

Those who rented, and still rent are now paying more, and it's not likely they have a big wad of cash and a good income to support a mortgage.

Those who have a dream about living rent free on a boat are in the realms of fantasy. 

If you like the idea of living on a boat, fair enough do the sums.

If you want to avoid paying for a mooring because there is a way round it, I think you are approaching this 'living on a boat" plan from the wrong place. 

7 minutes ago, Avi1251 said:

A few people telling me I've seen too many videos, watched too many TV shows etc. But the funny thing is I don't watch TV or use YouTube etc. So can people kindly stop telling me where I've got my information from? The truth is I don't have the information, which is why I'm here to speak to genuine people, rather than taking advice from such rubbish places :)

Look at the title of your thread. You have formed an opinion, presumably you formed this opinion from media sources rather than your next door neighbour.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

If you've been working hard for many years you should have some knowledge of economic forces in the UK at this time. It is unlikely that you will want to work an extra ten hours per week to put a little bit in to savings.

Those who bought their own house when they were young and able to earn money though thick and thin are now reaping the benefit, assuming their house suits them and has no outstanding debts.

Those who rented, and still rent are now paying more, and it's not likely they have a big wad of cash and a good income to support a mortgage.

Those who have a dream about living rent free on a boat are in the realms of fantasy. 

If you want to avoid paying for a mooring because there is a way round it, I think you are approaching this 'living on a boat" plan from the wrong place. 

Thank for the reply.

Again, people are telling me I want to live rent free but not once did I say that's what I wanted? I have asked for more information to get a bigger picture on living costs etc. INCLUDING cruising options (for staying in the same area on a temp basis for jobs).

I have openly and humbly admitted that the costs are more than I expected.. but I did not expect to live rent free. I am aware that life does not work this way.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Look at the title of your thread. You have formed an opinion, presumably you formed this opinion from media sources rather than your next door neighbour.

Because the costs are more than I expected, that means I must have got it from a media source?

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Few angry folk here, persumably wanting to keep the canals for themselves.

I'm bowing out, thanks for all the help. It's been informative.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Avi1251 said:

I am afraid that your type f question is monotonously regular, but, unlike you, the posters have been watching such videos and reading articles and do expect to live aboard at almost no cost. That is why some have assumed that you are wanting to game the system.

Have you told us the area you want to be in? I have given you one cost of a London residential mooring but they will be far cheaper way up north, as will so-called leisure moorings.

Basically, do not plan to CC while you are working or tied to a certain place. If you are then check the area for the cost of moorings and most will not be for living aboard.

There isn't a clear picture for cruising options without a home mooring as there isn't a clear statement, you just have to "satisfy the board".  Which basically means if you want to stay in one area for work you have to find a way of staying under the radar and not get on CRTs naughty list.  Depending where you need to work you may find there is a cruising ring which gives plenty of canal miles over multiple canals with a few extra branches that you can easily take two or three months to boat round without being too far for a daily commute but you need to think about where you are keeping your car overnight, will it be secure, will it be there when you get back to it, how will you move it after moving the boat etc.

Or take a cheaper farm mooring as your home mooring and then just return there every few months to reset the counter.

17 minutes ago, Avi1251 said:

Thank for the reply.

Again, people are telling me I want to live rent free but not once did I say that's what I wanted? I have asked for more information to get a bigger picture on living costs etc. INCLUDING cruising options (for staying in the same area on a temp basis for jobs).

I have openly and humbly admitted that the costs are more than I expected.. but I did not expect to live rent free. I am aware that life does not work this way.

There is plenty of info on the forum about costs, but you need to sit down and do the sums for your circumstances.

Eg Young couples may max out on credit and loans, buy a tiny home, take risks, work hard to max income, and hope it all works out.

Eg Older single people with a big salary and stable circumstances can save up £50/60/70/80/90/100/200K and spend it on a boat with minimal risk.

17 minutes ago, Avi1251 said:

Thank for the reply.

Because the costs are more than I expected, that means I must have got it from a media source?

Not sure what you're getting at here.

Few angry folk here, persumably wanting to keep the canals for themselves.

I'm bowing out, thanks for all the help. It's been informative.

Crikey, I've seen one boat a day for the last few months, I'd be glad of some company!

In fact, I live rent free on my boat. I own it, I pay for a licence. I dont want to rent a flat, but if I did it would probably be more expensive, bear in mind that most folks will spend most of their income year on year.

You cannot get a definitive answer to your question because there is no definitive answer.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

And as no-one else has said it, welcome to the forum!! 

This can be a brutal place with no punches pulled in answers as you've just seen, but don't be put off. People here are fundamentally helpful and will go the extra mile helping you out.

Keep asking the questions and an accurate picture will emerge for you.

OP did not last the course, and something one needs as a liveaboard is resilience, buckets of it (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Avi1251 said:

To be honest, I have lived all over. Where I'm living now (near Sheffield) is cheap but I lived in Stourbridge (my home town) and then Bath for many years. Bath is like London prices!  

Likewise with moorings, if you wanted a residential mooring in Bath or London it would cost you a lot more

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OP did not last the course, and something one needs as a liveaboard is resilience, buckets of it (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

Yep. Yet another case of a newbie not liking the answers to their questions and throwing a strop. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yep. Yet another case of a newbie not liking the answers to their questions and throwing a strop. 

You or I would never do that lol!

At least I know I wouldn't, but then , thinking about , i no longer post on another forum due to the dreaded Dunkley. 

There have been posters who have deserted this forum in the past 🔥

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

At least I know I wouldn't, but then , thinking about , i no longer post on another forum due to the dreaded Dunkley. 

That is a little different as Dunkley is so fond of handing out simple and direct personal abuse. The OP here got all offended because people made (perfectly reasonable) assumptions based on what they wrote. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

That is a little different as Dunkley is so fond of handing out simple and direct personal abuse. The OP here got all offended because people made (perfectly reasonable) assumptions based on what they wrote. 

I know, OP has gone, the thread lives on ........

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

He only posted 29 minutes ago, you have gone days before coming back with an answer

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

You are the expert at driving newbies off here. You repeatedly make assumptions about others and then come over all surprised when people dont appreciate it.

Telling it  'like it is' is one thing but making strong assumptions about others and where they get info. from is just plain ignorant.

No wonder new members dont stay here long, this one posted less than half an hour ago and is being accused of buggering off because he doesnt like the answers, some of which were not really called for after things were explained 

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I remember someone who said it was impossible to siphon the dirty diesel from their tank and lots of other instances where they haven't liked the answer. pot and black come to mind.

If the OP is still here CTC has done a video. Unfortunately its now four years old so will not have taken account of recent rampant greedflation.

Hes generally regarded as one of the more reliable youtubers.

If OP is serious about life aboard I expect (s)he will be back. The forum is a tough place for a newbie but no better advice when you learn to be less sensitive/thin-skinned. We are leisure boaters so probably not very relevant but we don't get much change out of £6k/yr for a town centre marina leisure mooring on the Trent, licence, insurance and RCR. Add at least another £1k/yr for running costs and consumables. 

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No wonder new members dont stay here long, this one posted less than half an hour ago and is being accused of buggering off because he doesnt like the answers, some of which were not really called for after things were explained 

I remember someone who said it was impossible to siphon the dirty diesel from their tank and lots of other instances where they haven't liked the answer. pot and black come to mind.

I may disagree with an answer, but that does not mean I have thrown toys out of pram, and I have a few on ignore so I don't eve,zn bother to respond to them.

My experience of using a syphon is that the outlet side of the pipe has to be lower than the intake side, so I can't do this unless boat is on chocks. I may have misunderstanding the physics, but in the past I have syphoned fuel out of a vehicle tank, and it stops working if the intake is lower than the output, or to put it another way, the output is higher than the intake. It stops working if air gets in to the hose.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My experience of using a syphon is that the outlet side of the pipe has to be lower than the intake side, so I can't do this unless boat is on chocks.

I vaguely remember the episode and like you, I thought this too. 

BUT, it has come to my notice a lot of boats (unlike any of mine) have the diesel tank inside what would be the counter block were they wooden boats. The very stern of the boat with the tunnel bands painted on. And a tank here is above the uxter plate and typically 2ft higher than the baseplate, so a receiving container placed on the baseplate WILL be low enough to syphon into. 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

What on earth has that to do with someone asking about living on a canal boat ? 

Ditchy cited it as evidence that LadyG 'chucked her toys' like the OP once.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I take an unhealthy interest in property matters. It's what pays for my boating, much to the annoyance of the hard lefties on here! 

None of my family, (admittedly they all have their own houses) have shown any interest in boat living. It would not suit them, ill health, infirmity, schooling, tiny living,  no fixed address, utilities, the list is endless. It suits me at this moment in time but no way would I have forgone house ownership, time and money consuming hobbies in exchange for living in a sewertube at other times in my life. It has to fit with other life aspects including careers, jobs, relationships.

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

What on earth has that to do with someone asking about living on a canal boat ? 

Nothing much, but OP has departed so we are free to change the subject, that always happens.

Edited by LadyG

Surely this must be at least close to being a record?

Started 3 hours ago and then bailed out after 1 hour and 6 posts.

Shame as I'm sure there would have been plenty more useful information to come, particularly as the OP did seem to be particularly uninformed even for a newbie. Hopefully they will come back later as a lurker to see if any further worthwhile stuff has been added.

3 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Surely this must be at least close to being a record?

Started 3 hours ago and then bailed out after 1 hour and 6 posts.

Shame as I'm sure there would have been plenty more useful information to come, particularly as the OP did seem to be particularly uninformed even for a newbie. Hopefully they will come back later as a lurker to see if any further worthwhile stuff has been added.

And shockingly prickly about the (few) pretty benign assumptions being made about them.