George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

I past by a week ago, as before the whole area is a total mess but now with the addition of the large square tent, outside kitchens and large amounts of ' rubbish ' on both sides of the towpath.

The canal bank now has 3 trashed boats, 1 or 2 appeared to be lived in. The centre one has become Mr Wards floating junk store as was the last metal boat that was lifted out.

For all the money spent little has been achieved so far accept to highlight what can be achieved if you just totally ignore the rules and all the conventions that others live by.

2 hours ago, adrianh said:

I past by a week ago, as before the whole area is a total mess but now with the addition of the large square tent, outside kitchens and large amounts of ' rubbish ' on both sides of the towpath.

The canal bank now has 3 trashed boats, 1 or 2 appeared to be lived in. The centre one has become Mr Wards floating junk store as was the last metal boat that was lifted out.

For all the money spent little has been achieved so far accept to highlight what can be achieved if you just totally ignore the rules and all the conventions that others live by.

Ah so my prediction that the rodney boats would multiply as a result of Mr Ward's success at sticking two fingers up at CRT seems to be coming true.

Give it ten another years and I expect CRT will get around to lifting another one out.

Edited by MtB
Missing word

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

According to https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/23668459.boater-served-huge-bill-eviction-notice-canal-rivers-trust/ Ward was due in Court yesterday, but was trying to get the hearing deferred. I assume from the absence of news reports that the hearing didn't take place.

I don't think you can assume anything from an absence of a news report.

Another win for the paper shufflers .......take costly legal action against a homeless 'bum' .........solicitor and barrister retained on 5000 quid a day refreshers as defendant doesnt show for the case ......do they apply for a Default Judgement ........no...... ,because that would end their lucrative payments ...........what a famous win for the taxpayers ...not.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Ah so my prediction that the rodney boats would multiply as a result of Mr Ward's success at sticking two fingers up at CRT seems to be coming true.

Give it ten another years and I expect CRT will get around to lifting another one out.

I admire your optimisation in thinking CRT will still be around in 10 years

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, john.k said:

Another win for the paper shufflers .......take costly legal action against a homeless 'bum' .........solicitor and barrister retained on 5000 quid a day refreshers as defendant doesnt show for the case ......do they apply for a Default Judgement ........no...... ,because that would end their lucrative payments ...........what a famous win for the taxpayers ...not.

I understand the case was postponed because CRT, or whoever they employed, didn't serve the correct papers in time. They presumably are using the same approach as they do to repairs - everything at the last possible minute. Unfortunately, the law doesn't work like that (or rather, it often does, but it shouldn't and occasionally you get a judge who thinks stuff should be done properly).

And I'm not sure what the taxpayers have got to do with it?

4 hours ago, john.k said:

I don't think George is a 'homeless bum'  in the sense of someone who through no fault of their own finds themselves in desperate circumstances.   Neither do I think he is suffering at the hands of some faceless bureaucratic process that is rolling over him regardless. - quite the opposite from what I can see. 

I do agree with you that the only people winning here are the legal profession as always....   unfortunately that £5000/day could be better spent on gate repairs as we all know, but alas if CRT continue to allow people like George to flout the rules and pay nothing then they stand to lose a lot more than £5000/day 

• Greenie 3

As reported ,he is living rough on the towpath surrounded by a new collection of 'junk'...........so ,in what way is he not a homeless bum?........incidentally ,in woke society the word BUM is an acronym for British Unhoused Man............just so my woke credentials arent compromised ,what with mumbles promising the abos the whole country.

12 minutes ago, john.k said:

As reported ,he is living rough on the towpath surrounded by a new collection of 'junk'...........so ,in what way is he not a homeless bum?........incidentally ,in woke society the word BUM is an acronym for British Unhoused Man............just so my woke credentials arent compromised ,what with mumbles promising the abos the whole country.

we'll agree to disagree. 

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

Do you have a reliable link for this? 

No, may or may not be accurate.

3 hours ago, john.k said:

If you can't be bothered to write English, you really can't expect to be taken seriously. I have no idea what your last nine words mean, unless it's an expression of your blatant racism. I do hope it isn't.

• Greenie 4
  • Horror 1

51 minutes ago, Swanky pirate said:

10 years to evict him it's a joke we all know some one like that on the waterway cart go on about loss of funding I wonder how much its cost .

Well ten years ago, CRT were trying to recover £70k in legal costs from him due to the trouble he had put them to at that stage.

By now I'd imagine it is well into seven figures. 

But with an annual budget of £400m, I can see why CRT aren't overly bothered about the costs Mr Ward is racking up. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well ten years ago, CRT were trying to recover £70k in legal costs from him due to the trouble he had put them to at that stage.

By now I'd imagine it is well into seven figures. 

But with an annual budget of £400m, I can see why CRT aren't overly bothered about the costs Mr Ward is racking up. 

I think perhaps six not seven figures. Unless you meant counting the pennies in which case 8 !

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No, may or may not be accurate.

If you can't be bothered to write English, you really can't expect to be taken seriously. I have no idea what your last nine words mean, unless it's an expression of your blatant racism. I do hope it isn't.

I reckon abo is aborigine. 

Edited by magnetman

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

An assassin would have been cheaper 

Lifting the boat out irrespective of it being his home/hovel or whatever people think it is. Then fight the counter claim by the offenders. It’s not that he’s been given lots of help and avenues to address the situation.

The CRT are far too tolerant for one reason or another. 

They are (in theory) in charge of the waterway and the law says that the land alongside is part of the waterway. 

They have legal powers to deal with illegally positioned boats and other articles placed on their land or water. 

Zero tolerance of pisstaking is needed. Nobody should be getting away with unlicensed boats or personal possessions/rubbish placed on canal or towpath.

Get rid of this problem because there will be endless numbers of others waiting in the wings. 

Needs sorting but probably too late now as the snowball is getting bigger. 

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know if CRT are upping their game on not moving but this week I have read two cases on Facebook of people winging they are on a 6 month licence 

Excellent. 

They now just need to do the same to the other 5,998! 

• Greenie 3